FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blender

Billwaa
Does anyoe know the program Blender? It's quite a cool 3D modeling program. However, I just started, does anyone have any idea how I can learn how to use it? I am reading the book on it on wikiapedia right now.
charredii
I heard about it, and saw a friend use a a while back, i'll ask him and get back to you.
alkutob
I don't know if you had checked here ... but I think it may be a reference 4 others too
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Home.2.0.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(program)

and you can go to this link which may lead you to Blender 3D: Tutorial Links List

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender

I'll search 4 a PDF file and that may help too ...and get back to you
Billwaa
Now I got to use it for a couple days, it's getting easier. However, I still didn't figure out how to do animation and move the cameria. I will take a look at some of those links, thanks.
snowboardalliance
I've seen blender and was thinking about trying it. Is it REALLY hard to learn though? Cause it looks confusing.
martindecorte
Blender is not difficult to learn, nor to use ! I've been using it for a couple of years. I think the difficult part is the unusual interface, and once you've gotten the main keyboard shortcuts, then you've passed the most difficult part of learning.

In my opinion, the best way to learn using Blender is the way i learned to: online tutorials. Just type "blender tutorials" in google, and you'll get a lot of various websites with many tutorials. Just begin with simple tutorials, most of them are very well explained.
snowboardalliance
Cool, I'll try it next time I have some free time.
Kris1972
martindecorte wrote:
Blender is not difficult to learn, nor to use ! I've been using it for a couple of years. I think the difficult part is the unusual interface, and once you've gotten the main keyboard shortcuts, then you've passed the most difficult part of learning.

In my opinion, the best way to learn using Blender is the way i learned to: online tutorials. Just type "blender tutorials" in google, and you'll get a lot of various websites with many tutorials. Just begin with simple tutorials, most of them are very well explained.

I have just started using Blender and I can see what you mean by the unusual interface. I haven't made a damn thing yet, but have already learned alot from the blender tutorials. This is a great open source 3d program. I have tried a lot of the others and they were pretty bulky on my machine so I still have't used them at all, but blender is pretty easy to get my mind around and I am sure once I get the knack of the hotkeys I will be away laughing and enjoying making all sorts of things!
{name here}
I reccomend you try anim8or first. When you grasp the basic techniques of 3D modeling you should then go to Blender...
Muinnia
Is Anim8or free too?

Also, could someone post a link to the Anim8or homepage?

...wow...i never knew that there were so many sweet open source programs out there... Cool
martindecorte
Muinnia wrote:
Is Anim8or free too?

http://www.anim8or.com/
Google is your friend !
ashik
Quote:
="martindecorte"I think the difficult part is the unusual interface, and once you've gotten the main keyboard shortcuts, then you've passed the most difficult part of learning.

Blender does have an unusual interface. But it is really powerful, and once you get into using the program, you will feel at home with it. It is not that dissicult to learn it. I have been using 3D Studio Max, and when I saw Blender, I readily switched over. The reason was the ease of use, and the fantastic memory managament in Blender. I was working on a low-end system then, and Studio MAX ran way too slow on my system. Blender works like lightning(forgive me if I am exaggerating)
Also Blender is free and opensource.
Revvion
I really like blender have been using it for some time now, its kind of hard in the beginning but luckely the site (blender.org) has a lot of how to's
Kris1972
Muinnia wrote:
Is Anim8or free too?

...wow...i never knew that there were so many sweet open source programs out there... Cool

Anim8or home page has some great tutorials, and seems to be quite simple to use. I started with Blender and will probably stick with it as I am finally getting the hang of the interface and dont want to start over again. I was wondering how other users find the open source programs vs the likes of Maya and Bryce??
Kris1972
alkutob wrote:
I don't know if you had checked here ... but I think it may be a reference 4 others too
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Home.2.0.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(program)

and you can go to this link which may lead you to Blender 3D: Tutorial Links List

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender

I'll search 4 a PDF file and that may help too ...and get back to you

I am sure the wikibooks url is dead, a good tutorial can be downloaded from http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro , however it does seem to be a little out of order, you go from a box to a simple person. Other than that it is great! It introduces you to the subsurf feature right away, which to a complete beginner like myself is very helpful.
Kris1972
Revvion wrote:
I really like blender have been using it for some time now, its kind of hard in the beginning but luckely the site (blender.org) has a lot of how to's

IMHO, this is the link to use for the best tutorials about Blender:
http://blender.org/cms/Tutorials.243.0.html

It has everything you need to get started, I have also found some links to course handbooks taught in various universities that I will post later.
Kris1972
Kris1972 wrote:
Revvion wrote:

IMHO, this is the link to use for the best tutorials about Blender:
http://blender.org/cms/Tutorials.243.0.html

It has everything you need to get started, I have also found some links to course handbooks taught in various universities that I will post later.

I have also just located this site. It has tutorials for Photoshop (textures), Flash, Blender... etc. I am loving this place as it is a one stop shop for me!!

http://www.biorust.com/tutorials/index/
exarkun
But compare to Anim8or, Blender is still better. I say this because blender can also be used to create game(not the very good type,but enough).
Kris1972
exarkun wrote:
But compare to Anim8or, Blender is still better. I say this because blender can also be used to create game(not the very good type,but enough).

Definately, Blender does let new game developers practice their skills without having to write a whole new engine. It is great for developing entrylevel mobilegames that can then be presented to companies for full scale roll out.
kevinalle
blender is still the best 3d program.
And its free. Youll never see such a good freeware program.
Trust me. Try it. Its very light.
knullbar
Yeah I've encountered it at school. However I'm in the programming class and not in the designing class so I've only had played with the CAD progs..
Perhaps you should check out if it's any Blending classes where you live? Smile

Knullbar;*~
Guyon
3d modeling programs are special. Most of them are very different and you have to think like they do or learn to think like they do or you are in for a major struggle.

I can think like Maya, 3ds max, even Animation Master, but when it comes to Blender or Lightwave I am lost. Not that Blender or light wave are bad, it is just I don't think like that

Blender has buttons, lots of buttons. LOL So may that it is a little daunting to figure out. My suggestion is get the book. Look you got the software for free why not invest in the program? Also hot the tutorials and get in to a Blender forum.

Also start small, if you want to make a human as first or 10th project then you will fail. 3d takes time to learn and well worth the investment.

Finally remember this about all else. it is the artist, and not the program that makes a great piece of work. A great artist will make a better project with a inexpensive program, and a beginner with a high end package. that is a jewel of advice, so please keep it. Wink

Best of luck!!!!!!!
infobankr
I agree with guyon, start small. The best way to learn 3D modeling is to have a goal, like try to render a sphere, then a snowman, then some barbells. If you try to make the next Toy Story, you'll probably get frustrated and give up.

I've been meaning to learn Blender myself, as I had a lot of fun rendering little 3D animations back on my old Macintosh. I would make little toy cars and birds and stuff, nothing too complicated.
rayx
I think the you can now make games using the new version of blender. . . But i found out that its a little hard to model on blender than using 3ds max or maya. . . .
SHARPBALL
I have try blender but can not get used of the strange way
the progs user interface.
Seen allot of things with blender en its a great program if you get the hang of it
but for me its steep to learn.
Now vray is inmplented as an plugin i thing its gonna be used more and more
If you see what you get for nothing comparing to 3max or maya is unpresidented.

try it maby you have more time or luk than i
bulek
we were using Blender for 3D modeling and 3D animation in school for almost whole year. It's not so good program for beginners, especially if you don't have will to read (or watch) tutorials quite a lot of time. It really doesn't have standard user interface so you will probably have some troubles getting use on it.
Kashinilaya
I have a copy of Blender, but give up to learn it for awhile. It does require spending some time studying it. I only hear good things about it, so I believe it's worth it to invest some time learning it's secrets.
pll
I used it for a while. Now I don't do that much 3D graphics but Blender is really nice. ONe of the best-free 3D graphics software that I've ever used.
it seems to be complicated but one time you know how to use it, it becomes very easy.

For learning how to use it I'd suggest you to do some tutorials, that's how I learned.

But... you'll need some time. Wink
r4inm4ker
It's an excellent OSS with tons of "new" features compared to other 3D software. I particularly like the UV unwrapping algorithm with LSCM and ABF++ . The multi-resolution sculpting is also interesting, hope it can compete with ZBrush in the future:p
About GUI, i heard that there will be customization feature in v2.50, So I'm eager to test it when it's available, because I can't stand to current UI either.
Kelcey
I've used it here and there. It's pretty darn good for being free.
realtrue
Billwaa wrote:
Does anyoe know the program Blender? It's quite a cool 3D modeling program. However, I just started, does anyone have any idea how I can learn how to use it? I am reading the book on it on wikiapedia right now.

I have use this software. This is very great software. I have also use it to make an airplane for my game software, because it support X file for direct X.

I learn it from the wiki tutorial, just do step by step from the beginning. There are also useful video.
xavax
I use Blender alot - mostly for its Python interface.
I learnt from the 'Noob to Pro' book on the wiki, but after that - once you get the feel of how the program works - its easiest just to experiment.