FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

3D modeling / imaging website question.

Deji
Ok first question that actually fits in here.

Q: Are there any good free (full version) 3D modeling applications out there.

im quite happy to have a small linux install if i have to just looking for somethign that has good support (tutorials etc.) so i can have a go at some 3D modeling.

its something ive never done before but would realy like to try. Smile

quite happy to use linux software if nessesary (a live disk would be great) if not ill just make some space on my drive.

(other question)

Does anyone know of a CMS system thats good for webcomic / image posting.

For example if i wanted to post an image every now and then with some related text / a blog entry to go with it?

found a webcomic CMS before but i cant find it again :/

(wrong section i know but dont want to spam the forums ^^Smile
ocalhoun
There is a GNU 3D modeler: it is called 'blender 3D'.
It's powerful enough if you know how to use it, but it is not user-friendly at all.
Just do a google search for Blender 3D, and you'll find it.
I'm not sure if there is a windows version available, however.
Zuwiki
I love Blender, but it is definetly not user-friendly at all. I am still learning it, and after 3 weeks, it still takes me half an hour to make something simple like a crappy undetailed monitor. If you master it though, it will do amazing things. Also, you may want to take a look at Anim8or. It is interesting, and relatively simple to use.[/url]
Petee
G Max is free. It seems to work pretty well. I honestly don't use it that much. Milkshape is pretty cheap ($25) and is quite good, I use it often. Also, there is a windows version of blender. I also agree with Zuwiki about Anim8or. It is pretty good, and allows you to create characters with "bones" and animate them to create .avi movies.
silliman
Short of using Maya, a heavy duty professional grade, 3D modeling application, I like Poser 6.0 produced by e Frontier America Inc.

They also have a new produce I am interested in buying called Manga Studio 3.0 EX (USD $199.). Does anyone have experience using this produce? I'd be interested in hearing your critique.

Thanks,

Mark
orrinjelo
Check out Terragen (do a search for it) or try Pov-Ray and Movray

These are done with terragen:

dang it, isn't there a condense tag? sorry that you have to scroll so much.[/img]
djclue917
ocalhoun wrote:
It's powerful enough if you know how to use it, but it is not user-friendly at all.

Just a thought. Blender 3D is not called or termed as GNU 3D modeler because it's simply not a part of the GNU project. It would have been called such if it were.

By the way, it's unfair to say that "it is not user-friendly at all" because. in my humble opinion, user-friendliness is subjective and depends on the person using that particular software.

Anyway, Blender is really powerful.

Now, head on to:

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Video_Tutorials.396.0.html
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

to download video tutorials and learn more about Blender! Very Happy
photographerguy
i'll agree that blender isn't user friendly.
i love it, it is really powerful, it is 3d app of choice.
it was a b*tch to learn though.
silliman
Animation Master has pretty good spline based modeling, animation, and rendering which allows smooth organic models and natural freeform motions. They also have tools for inverse kinematics, skeletal, morphing, and bending actions in combination, time based motion "ease" for accurate acceleration and deceleration of movement, true patch-based "uv decal" mapping and D3D or OpenGL real-time rendering.

The URL below gives a few example of the quality of output using Animation Master. I’ve used this product for a couple of years and find it easy to use and fun.

http://amfilms.hash.com/
Kris1972
djclue917 wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Just a thought. Blender 3D is not called or termed as GNU 3D modeler because it's simply not a part of the GNU project. It would have been called such if it were.

By the way, it's unfair to say that "it is not user-friendly at all" because. in my humble opinion, user-friendliness is subjective and depends on the person using that particular software.

Anyway, Blender is really powerful.

Now, head on to:

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Video_Tutorials.396.0.html
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

to download video tutorials and learn more about Blender! Very Happy

I agree user friendlyness is very subjective. I am learning Blender and I must admit it is a bit daunting, but so are the others (maya, maxx...etc). I have found Blender to be easy to learn once you get the idea of one hand on the mouse the other on the keyboard. I am currently working my way through various tuttorials and am really enjoying the challenge of creating thins from nothing. I am looking at it from the newbie perspective but I prefer blender over the others as it was free and has great community support!
aegir
Blender, as mentioned already (and it is a very very good package - watch for the Elephant Dream movie done entirelly in it which will be released soon to the public including its souces) and PovRAY. There are also modelers that can be used together with Blender, as Wings3D, which is very user friendly.
ashik
ocalhoun wrote:

Blender has versions on both Windows and Linux, and are much the same on both platforms. Both can be downloaded from the link:
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Download.13.0.html

Also, I agree on the fact that user-friendliness depends on the user. I admit that I did find it "unfriendly" in the beginning, but once you get used to it, it is a really powerful tool.
dac_nip
ocalhoun wrote:

yes, there is a version for windows. google it.
headlong
Is there any software that is able to grap 3-D models from digital pictures? I would really feel happy if I can start with something in the real world.
{name here}
headlong wrote:
Is there any software that is able to grap 3-D models from digital pictures? I would really feel happy if I can start with something in the real world.

No, if there was even a remote possibility for it games would be coming a lot quicker. However, you can do this with 2D models like in Mortal Kombat I, II, and III...
Kris1972
headlong wrote:

With blender you can take apicture of a human face and grid half of it the use the software to create the other half. This can be done with any image of anything, cats, dogs,humans...etc.

If you are interested in learning how go to the Belnder site and follow the tutorial links for explanation, but before you try it yourself, learn the GUI and start simple. Modeling complicated things like animals and humans takes time and there aren't many beleiveable ways of doing it. If you just want human figures for posing in artwork use Poser or Daz studios ($$$$$).
kevinalle
Use blender.
Its free, light, easy to use.
There are plenty of tutorials out there.
Give it a try...
rayx
Try blender or milkshape 3d.