FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Real Mafia in bigger trouble than Sopranos

noexes89
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20060310/1a_cover10.art.htm

Quote:
The storied Italian-American Mafia has been diminished by relentless prosecutions and by a weariness of Mob life that has led some younger members to consider what would have been unthinkable in previous generations: getting out.

The Mafia remains active in various criminal enterprises. However, wiretap transcripts and other court filings, as well as interviews with former mobster Michael Franzese and historians of organized crime, reveal how its influence is dwindling.

This stuff, of course, is wrong. The Mafia is alive and kicking, and this Richard Willing guy who wrote this will likely get “kicked” soon.

Ha ha, organised crime is funny.
Vrythramax
That guy obviously has no connection with the teamsters, or he has never spent any time in the garment district in New York if he believes that.

hmmm....or maybe he has and is trying to draw heat away from them. Confused
alkady
The government isnt harsh enought on these criminals. These criminals are entitled to the same rights as everyone else, The right to have a lawyer ect. If those rights where suspended, The courtroom would probably be like a day in the Osbourne Family. Where the Don would probably take his briefcase and throw it at the prosecutor and threaten the judge and his family, While swearing alot.
The Philosopher Princess
alkady wrote:
The government isnt harsh enought on these criminals.

Sometimes that’s true. And sometimes we have the opposite problem, namely, that the Government is too harsh on the wrong things.

A real crime is doing harm to one or more people (including people’s property). A real crime must include an actual victim. But Governments spend an exorbitant amount of time and taxpayer money going after victimless “crimes” and (so-called) “criminals”. And then Governments have wasted so much time and money that there are not enough resources left to prevent, solve, and prosecute real crimes.

Examples of victimless “crimes” are gambling, voluntary prostitution, voluntary use and/or sale of “illegal” drugs, flag burning, not paying taxes, building or remodeling without permits, doing business without a license, and crossing borders. These, and many other things, are called “crimes” but they’re not really crimes against anybody.

The more activities that are arbitrarily made illegal, the more lucrative it becomes to break those laws. Organized crime (the Mafia) thrived on alcohol prohibition, nearly went bankrupt when prohibition was repealed, and was saved by drug prohibition (drug wars). Smuggling, gambling, and prostitution are the lifeblood of organized crime. By making laws against victimless “crimes”, Governments create and strengthen organized crime.

Despite the well-publicized attacks on “the Mafia”, there is no reduction in organized crime, criminal gangs, etc. Members of the old line Mafia families getting out of the business is just part of the natural process of society. These are families that have made enough money that they can afford to live off their investments and go into legitimate businesses. They now want to take their places in legit society like the Kennedys.

As long as there are stupid laws making smuggling, gambling, prostitution, and other things that lots of people want “illegal”, then there will be plenty of people providing what the Government denies. The economic Law of Supply and Demand says that as long as there is a market of willing buyers, a product will be supplied to that market. Government laws don’t overrule natural laws. When Government tries to stop a natural law from working, it just creates an unnatural barrier that requires more force to get around. Instead of friendly merchants providing the goods that Government makes illegal, violent criminal gangs will provide those same things, at much higher prices and an increased level of violence.

Thanks to Government interference, organized crime has become BIG business on a global scale with thousands of people involved. In America, there are the Mexican Mafia, Crips, Bloods, Hell’s Angels and other biker gangs, Columbian cartels, Vietnamese gangs, and all sorts of others. Government cracking down on “the Mafia” hasn’t reduced organized crime, but just opened it up to a world full of ruthless opportunists.

It’s the same all over the world. Whatever is made illegal creates a “black market” of smuggling and selling the illegal commodity. Police departments all over the world complain of being swamped under crime waves associated with smuggling, gambling, and prostitution. This leaves them with few resources to fight real crimes like murder, rape, robbery, extortion, fraud, and theft.

The fault lies with Governments (and Voters) trying to control things that cannot be controlled, by passing millions of laws. They don’t understand that by doing so, they create an atmosphere where organized crime is sure to flourish.

So, if you don’t like organized crime “Mafias”, quit supporting victimless “crime” laws and don’t Vote for tough-sounding “law and order” politicians. These laws and politicians are the mob’s best friends.
Vrythramax
@The Philosopher Princess,

I agree with many of the points you outlined, but I must disagree with your contenton that we must stop supporting the government with respects to prosecuting victimless crimes. Many of the crimes you outlined were not exactly created by the government, but the gov. did create a situation that allowed those crimes to flourish and become profitable for organized criminals.

Some of the crimes you outlined do in fact have victims involved, either directly or indirectly. A prostitute could be considered a victim under certain circumstances, as well as the blue collar worker who has to pay extra in thier taxes to help support the shortages created by stock & securities fraud. Unfortunatly Justice is blind, and with good reason. In order for justice to be meeted out fairly and indescriminantly, it cannot be allowed to see the differences between people(s) and/or the actual crimes themselves. Sentencing guidelines may be an answer to some non-violent (or victim-less) crimes, but they are horribly inaccurate as they stand right now.

There really is no easy solution for this problem, but I can't picture pulling the prosecutions teeth can actually benefit anyone except for the criminals themselves.

*getting off my soapbox now*
noexes89
I'm sorry I can't get really into the argument here as I'm not very familiar with the real mafia beyond the article I linked to. I might be if The Philosopher Princess provided some links to some stats on organised crime, showing how much man-power the mafia steals from enforcement of real crime. I really doubt that the amount of effort wasted on organised crime is so high that other crimes are constantly left unsolved.

Also I can think of many ways "not paying taxes, building or remodeling without permits, doing business without a license, and crossing borders" can cause harm. Systems like permits and license are consumer protection, and what about border security? I don't have the answers, but I hope you have something.
rwojick
I find it interesting that when Italians make money and break laws they are "the Mafia", but if Jews or Irish or Spanish do the same things they have no such recognition.

To understand Mafia you should read the first chapter or so of The Godfather by Mario Puzo.

He explains how the Mafia was born from the crooked New York City Court system. When the Sicilians went to Court for being wronged the Courts would always give the "Blue Bloods" a slap on the wrists, so, the Sicilains said "lets settle in in the street".

The New York City press and the Courts in New York are far more crooked than the Sicilians EVER were!
Vrythramax
Please don't leave out the "Irish Mob" in many areas...(NOT speaking of the IRA, Sien Fienn, or the Provos).
blackheart
noexes89 wrote:

Quote:
The storied Italian-American Mafia has been diminished by relentless prosecutions and by a weariness of Mob life that has led some younger members to consider what would have been unthinkable in previous generations: getting out.

The Mafia remains active in various criminal enterprises. However, wiretap transcripts and other court filings, as well as interviews with former mobster Michael Franzese and historians of organized crime, reveal how its influence is dwindling.

This stuff, of course, is wrong. The Mafia is alive and kicking, and this Richard Willing guy who wrote this will likely get “kicked” soon.

This guy is obviously either with the Mafia, or an idiot.
Scorpio
blackheart wrote:
noexes89 wrote:

Quote:

This guy is obviously either with the Mafia, or an idiot.

You summed up the lengthy argument there Very Happy