FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the best antivirus progrem?

Amix
im going to buy one in the next few days ..
please tell me what is the best
n0obie4life
use Mcafee.
Texas Al
You could try downloading ClamWin (free, opensource) and seeing if you like it. It does drive scans/disinfection, but last time I checked it doesnt' do realtime file protection. Maybe that has changed since then.

Anyway, it's a decent program. If my university didn't give away Symantec AV for free, I'd probably be using Clam.
gamego
I use NOD32 and it work great for me.
m_furquan36
I understand NOD 32 as being free and pretty cool in virus protection, but i wanna suggest you that , IF u can afford, then purchase Norton Antivirus 2005, and download the latest virus definition through LiveUpdate which comes with the package, the undate is aroun 3-7 mb's but dont worry abt tht. One downside to this is, that to keep the virus definitions list updated, you have to subscribe AFTER your 1 year trial plan expires which comes free of charge with the Norton AntiVius package. But as i said only IF you can afford to do so, otherwise, im tellin ya, NOD 32 is a WONDERFUL option!

Choose wisely! Wink Smile
pey
Norton 2005 is the best 4 me.
WickedGravity
I use AVG and it has never failed me to date.

There is no limit as to how long you can use it.

It is updated at least once a week.

The updates are realitively small because of their frequency.

Wonderful heuristics scanning.

Email scanning.

All in all I say it is the best of the free options.

Hope this helped.
n0obie4life
WickedGravity wrote:

Email scanning.

Hope this helped.

it failed me Razz. I have this java virus that it could remove. But all I had to do was to clear the java cache anyway Razz.

Yeah, its quite good with teh quareenting (or however you spell it)
noliver
I use McAfee as well and have found it to be very reliable. Norton does cause problems for some people so I would not recommend it.
frozenhead
I recommend Norton Antivirus... its good!.. Idea
progma
I use Bitdefender 8 professional plus. It has not too much updates but finds all important virus
SamiTheBerber
If want free then AVG is good.
Helios
Fact: NOD32 is the best.
blackant
Trend Mirco PC-cillin is the best IMHO. Wink
Always got the latest update on time, and it wouldn't slow down your pc. Razz
SNES350
WickedGravity wrote:

Email scanning.

Hope this helped.

I use AVG as well. I really like it; I was using Norton before but I don't want to pay for updates after having paid for the program already. I actually have Mcafee running all the time as well, since I bought that when it was free (after rebates) from I believe Best Buy. Neither one seems to take too much CPU time or memory. Both also have realtime protection; they've each saved me from trojans etc at least once.
ANGRA
mmm nobody mentioned F-Prot for Windows, i prefer it beacause don`t spend so much resources (like Panda), is really efficent and with a good configuration not disturb the job with windows messages like the Bitdifender firewall, for me is the best antiviral. Wink
jepper
best paid = NOD32 (or maybe an obscure server antivirus that costs a lot)
best free = avast! ( i use this one, has mail scanner and other usefull stuff

www.avast.com and then home version
prithvi
I have been using McAfee for the last 3 yrs and it hasn't given my any prob so far.

Earlier, I used to have Norton, but my yahoo a/c got hacked once, through a trojan keylogger that bypassed Norton.

since then, I have shifted to McAfee and haven't had any probs with it.

besides, McAfee eats lesser resources compared to Norton.
waiteck
The Antivirus softwares that i think is the best: 1)~Best
1)MCAFEE
2)AVG FREE EDITION
3)NORTON
silentpark
maybe u can tell us what you are using the AV for?

well are u using it:
- for ur home computer or for a server
- what kind of a machine do u have (some notes about it: ram, cpu, os...)
- how much do u want to pay
- and maybe what a connection do u have
- which other programms/ secrurity software are running else

all these things should be considered.

and after that i can give you an advice for the 'best' AV.
Camus
It's look like NOD32 is the best of all Smile :
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2005_05.php
When XP was installed on my pc I used Kaspersky, that was the one who was the most regulary updated, if my memory is correct .
lex
nod32 is still the best , cleared 2 trojan after the first reboot after i installed it
norton use up to much system resource
drpiga
The best antivirus is your mind.Any software is more perfect than the human is,so on first place is human activity,lately you may use some antivirus which doesn't slowdown your system .Choose your favorite...
jczer68
I use AVG, it's effective and tightly coded, unlike some of the bloated, resource-hogging antivirus out there... seems like some of the other antivirus/security software just end up taking over and loading down your system like, um, er, Idunno like a virus?? Laughing Laughing At least AVG isn't obstructive.

Also an antivirus only part of it, you still need common sense and secure practices, otherwise even the best AV isn't good enough.
Desimax
Northen Is best but it costs Very Happy
drpiga
"Northen"?I've never heard of it!
Is it some kind of new brand?
jepper
drpiga wrote:
"Northen"?I've never heard of it!
Is it some kind of new brand?

hehe Smile

norton is a bit too offensive, it really digs its way into windows
i had troubles installing it ones, the installer crashed
needed to reformat the harddrive
lots a lot of files Crying or Very sad

so now im using avast as i told you Smile
ashen
I think MC Afee is the best. Its better than Norton Antivirus. You should buy the latest MC Afee to get the best performance!
Slick
Sophos antivirus is good and its free... well was wen i had it!

http://www.sophos.com/

check it out!
Maka
Avast is the best free antivirus, try it out and never get taken over by a virus again, if your using p2p it will stop downloads should it have a virus in the file, scans emails, instan messageing, web shield, updates every few days, amazeing. I've been using it for 3 years.
windval
I will suggest u to use NOD32 or AVG free
galih
i think avast is good antivirus..and i like it because i can change skins of this antivirus..

thanks..
Smile
nikolic
I second ClamWin, it is still a "startup" but updates are daily.

http://clamwin.sourceforge.net

Also, more important is your internet usage habits. Simply do not install anything that you do not completely trust. Also, generally safer is to favor open source options when they are available.

Oh yeah, never install anything found on a Russian, Nygerian, or Chinese website...
svhkid
norton antivirus 05' is the one i use, but i've had to download lots of spybot stuff and hijacthis software for stuff it doesn't get
rollespil
Natrualkiller
Never Use Norton It dosnt do anything except slow your computer with unnescicary scans i switched to mcaffe for a day and found 17 files infected thanks norton for nothing!
gonzo
anecdotal evidence is about as valuable as the photons used to relay it. Could you be a bit more specific about your criteria?
xx77abs
for me NOD32 is the best, then is mcafee. McAfee has some problems, bugs, but i think that isn't fixed.
snoppy
I think, the best of anti-virus is avast! 4 Home Edition.
it is very good. Also it is free.
Aimewitue
i will suggest you Kaspersky antivirus not free but i think is the best i ever tested.
norton is a bad choice & don't found many kind of virus infection.
i don't tested AVG as well.
Nirotu
Supposedly PC-Cillin is the best out there right now. The most features for the cheapest price. Right now i am using AVG Free Edition, but i dont feel safe under a free antivirus, so im thinking of swithing over to PC-Cillin.

Also if you need protection for Spyware, i suggest Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta. You can get it here. It is very reliable and i for one am going to purchase it when it is released.
ChunkyBustout
I think Kaspersky is the best even though I use AVG free edition because it's been very good at detecting whatever has been on my computer. I have to agree about Norton. In my opinion, it's absolute crap, bloatware, that doesn't very little as far as protection goes and it slows your computer too much. Maybe when Norton Antivirus was part of the Norton Utilities, it was the coolest AV ever. But that was a long time ago. Before there was a Symantec.
Devil
Kaspersky antivirus is the best one but not free ,

if u want the best one then try antivir it is also free , and also has good detection rates , and uses very less memory , i used to use mcafee before , but now i have changed to antivir , it is highly recomended to anyone , and the download size is very small , some 6 mb i guess
LostOverThere
I use Trend Micro Pc-Cillin, it works MUCH better then Norton Anti-Virus for me, its cheaper, and comes with a spyware scanner bonus.
Devil
even antivir has spyware detector , norton is the worst i have ever used , it almost killed my pc Evil or Very Mad
martinmarshall
Kaspersky antivirus is the best i am using it with zone alarm antywirus without any problems i think is the best solution. Also scanning online with beta test of kaspersky is good idea. Norton is not good i have tested it and he didn`t find a lot of exploits and trojans.
martinmarshall
Kaspersky antivirus is the best i am using it with zone alarm antywirus without any problems i think is the best solution. Also scanning online with beta test of kaspersky is good idea. Norton is not good i have tested it and he didn`t find a lot of exploits and trojans.
lllgrklll
Just go to this link and tell me what are you thinking, It appears that this romanian antivirus programm(bitdefender) is the best.
Do you rememver RAV (Reliable AntiVirus), was bought by microsoft, this is why it dissapeared -- romanian too (RAV name was at it's beginning Romanian AntiVirus). RAV was the best antivirus software...
And now it's bidefender Very Happy

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=bitdefender
orno
my vote goes to NOD32 as well
been using it for more than 2 years now, and never a hint of a problem!
Indyan
Kaspersky is the best AV,NOD32 is the lightest.

Quote:
The test was made on 02-16 April 2005, using Windows XP Professional SP1 on a P4 2600 Mhz, 512MB DDRAM.The 91202 virus samples were chosen using VS2000 according to Kaspersky, F-Prot, RAV, Nod32, Dr.Web, Sweep, BitDefender and McAfee antivirus programs. Each virus sample was unique by virus name, meaning that AT LEAST 1 antivirus program detected it as a new virus.

Rank

1. Kaspersky Personal Pro version 5.0.20 - 99.28%

2. AVK version 15.0.5 - 97.93%

3. F-Secure 2005 version 5.10.450 - 97.55%

4. eScan Virus Control version 2.6.518.8 - 96.75%

5. Norton Corporate version 9.0.3.1000 - 91.64%

6. Norton Professional version 2005 - 91.57%

7. McAfee version 9.0.10 - 89.75%

8. Virus Chaser version 5.0 - 88.31%

9. BitDefender version 8.0.137 - 88.13%

10. CyberScrub version 1.0 - 87.87%

11. Panda Platinum 2005 version 9.01.02 - 87.75%

12. Arcavir - 87.73%

13. MKS_VIR 2005 - 87.70%

14. RAV version 8.6.105 - 87.26%

15. F-Prot version 3.16b - 87.07%

16. Panda Titanium version 4.01.02 - 86.27%

17. PC-Cillin 2005 version 12.1.1034 - 85.98%

18. Nod32 version 2.12.4 - 85.66%

19. Command version 4.92.7 - 84.92%

20. AntiVir version 6.30.00.17 - 84.50%

21. Avast version 4.6.623 - 79.65%

22. Dr. Web version 4.32b - 78.71%

23. Sophos Sweep version 3.91 - 73.79%

24. UNA version 1.83 - 73.49%

25. BullGuard version 4.5 - 70.24%

26. Norman version 5.80.05 - 65.32%

27. Ikarus version 5.16 - 60.97%

28. AVG version 7.0.308 - 54.07%

29. E-Trust version 7.0.5.3 - 52.35%

30. ZoneAlarm with VET Antivirus version 5.5.062.011 - 52.32%

31. Vexira 2005 version 5.0.56 - 51.74%

32. VirusBuster 2005 version 5.0.147 - 51.51%

33. Solo 3.0 version 2.7.1 - 49.16%

34. Fire version 2.7 - 48.86%

35. ClamWin version 0.83 - 48.44%

36. Digital Patrol version 5.00.08 - 48.10%

37. V-Buster Pro - 46.33%

38. Protector Plus version 7.2.G01 - 45.81%

39. V3Pro 2004 - 38.87%

40. Ewido version 3.0 - 38.67%

41. ViRobot Expert version 4.0 - 38.10%

42. Quick Heal version 7.03 - 37.75%

43. VirScan Plus version 14.703 - 36.20%

44. MR2S version 2.0.104 - 35.05%

45. RHBVS version 4.60.821 - 32.96%

46. A Squared 2 version 1.6 - 25.37%

47. VirIT version 5.2.10 - 22.83%

48. TDS version 3.2.0 - 21.09%

49. Wave version 2.0 - 16.49%

50. AntiTrojan Shield version 1.4.0.15 - 11.91%

Source: http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=69&mnu=69
jlbribeiro
I advice NIS, because it has an antivirus (who's very good) and a firewall (with lot's of functions). I also advice McAfee.
THE11thROCK™
I have tried and bought almost every Antivirus there is in the shelves - even the freewares: Norton, Mcaffee, PC-Cillin, Panda, Kaspersky, Avast, E-scan, F-prot and Nod32. I have read many magazine reviews about the effectivity of these antivirus products. Experience wise, nothing impresses me more than what AVG is capable of doing. The only thing i'm missing in it is that it has no built-in firewall.
donj
If you are using a laptop, I would prefer Norman Antivirus. That program is using not so much (read: almost nothing) memory.

www.norman.com
neekhu
I used many antivirus programs, like BitDefender (it's a romanian program, did you know?), F-Prot, DrWeb, The Cleaner (from moosoft) and others. All those, were working find on my P133 PC Razz

But when using a better computer, I think the best antivirus is Norton Antivirus. You have to get the updates and there... you are well protected!
boringest
i use to install norton until i got this virus which couldn't be deleted by norton...so i tried AVG and it works!

never looked back since.
budazz
AVG for me is the best antivirus it can remove any virus...the nice about avg is that it scan your PC at the starting bootup...even your floppy drive...and their is a free version so you don't need to buy a licenced one just download it...(if you want)
low system requirements....

mcafee also a great product but it needs to update it through internet (what if you dont have internet access)

norton NO it cannot remove a virus it will eat up your memory that can cause your pc to crawl....

well that is only my opinion (please dont get mad) hehehehe Wink Laughing
funwog
I think Norton2005 is the best Very Happy
csbarracks
i habe mcafee. i never use nortan anti virus again. my pc fals out. he bloks my fire wall. and my msn,...
if you whant a good free anti virus i think you bether take AVG. i use it on my game server.
otiscom
Use AntiVir Personal, it's free and you can download vdf files etc on a daily basis. These guys are realy on top of it changing their vdf, program, scan engine and AVrep dll on a regular basis.
I have used it for years now and it does block suspect files (and tells me).
The ones you pay for are large and can cause disruption of othe apps or even you OS!
billybob
i have tryed many diffrent antivirus aplications and the one that stands out is nod 32 its the fasted and most reliable i had a quick read through the post and think someone said that it was free its NOT free but well worth the money
careyd
NOD32 is the best out there. No it isn't free, but you can download a trial. I believe it has been the only program to successfully capture 100% of unknown viruses in the past 3 years or something.

I've tested it on large server shares. I've scanned with symantec, then with mcaffe, then afterward scanned with nod32. It still picked up stuff (dangerous, not just silly stuff) after the otherones went through.

It has my vote.

-Dave
TheHitman
I have done alot of research and testing on this subject and I have to agree with "others" who have reviewed all the antivirius software out there.

Trend Mirco PC-cillin is the Best
mcridder
For me the best anti virus is NOD32 & AVG

Also check this out a quick review of anti virus programs, AVAST is in top but if you compared it in regards of there speed ESET-nod32 and avg is still fast and very good in scanning viruses..

http://www.av-comparatives.org/
http://www.virusbtn.com/index
shwetanshu
For me the Best Antivirus is Norton 2005 and AVG, but i have NAV installed currently, but AVG also removes most of my viruses
blueknot
I think

Trend Micro and Mcafee is the best.

Norton isn't good. Reports have shown that it missed 43% of the malicious code/suspicious package.
budazz
blueknot wrote:
I think

Norton isn't good. Reports have shown that it missed 43% of the malicious code/suspicious package.

trend micro needs too many resources... like norton.... Confused
mcridder
budazz wrote:
blueknot wrote:
I think

trend micro needs too many resources... like norton.... Confused

i agree with that bro!! Laughing
James007
Norton is a system recource maniac so it really slows down your system.
I find it very difficult to handle and it doesn't really do the job.
But the virus removal tools from symantec are very handy.Smile

AVG is my number 2, it really detects a lot and is off course free!

My number one is AV Antivir, this program detects everything and does its job perfectly!

NOD32 is also very good and light, but it isn't free...Sad

Most people think that a FREE anti-virus is a BAD anti-virus... NOT!!!

James Smile
mengshi200
I think avg is best,because it's scaning virus is best,but clean is not best.but overall is best.
axelm
The best 2 are, in my opinion, Kaspersky and NOD 32, but I use the second one cause it consumes less resources! Bitdefender is also good!!!
TheGeek
I use AVG and it works perfectly. I havent gotten a virus since i have had it. It has a nice update reminder thing too, that isnt too annoying.
new-ayu
I use McAfee its great.
naz
TheGeek wrote:
I use AVG and it works perfectly. I havent gotten a virus since i have had it. It has a nice update reminder thing too, that isnt too annoying.

I have to agree with that, and the best thing about AVG is , it's totally FREE !
aardvark
I'd recommend HouseCall from Trend Micro

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

It's free and entirely Web-based. It found one virus that Sophos had missed one time when I used it.
Jeff_vella_leone
the post just aove this is good house call is really good
im using trend micro pccillin 2005
its good for real time scan and antivirus
only thing i dont like in it is the firewall it suks
most firewall realy suk
and its very week for hakers to
but for best antivirus its the best u can ever find
no antivirus is good against hakers u would eed a haker blocker so take care u have the right wepons to fight the right enemies
u can get a free trial of pccillin 2005 at www.downloads.com and search for pccillin 2005 in the search function at the top
u will have 1 month of full updates then no updates ut still blocks everything
i personally have full now but before what i used to do i just reinstall it after 1 month to get allways the updates good luck Cool
Summer
McAfee is the best , I think .
darrell
i would personally prefer norton antivirus. It have updates about new virus every now and then
WWWBEN
AVG!!
TheGeek
naz wrote:
TheGeek wrote:

I have to agree with that, and the best thing about AVG is , it's totally FREE !

it also hardly uses any system resources to run, and its easy to control.

I tried using Norton for about 2 days, and thats all i could stand.

It was constantly trying to either scan my computer or its just so big that it always slowed it down a little...no matter what.
Helios
Your antivirus might be so great because you think that it detects all the "evil" code.

But, maybe it doens't?

Think about it, my dear windows users =)
Dark-Tech
I MYself use NORTON antivivirus but

for the best antivirus as far as extensive library i would have to say Kaperski

(not sure of correct spelling)W/Kaperski
Alienz
I am using NOD32. It is great anti-virus and updates very often.
bigdan
I used to use McAfee..but then the 3 month subscription that came with my PC expired. Now I use Avast...it does the business! Very Happy
mostarac
Hello people! Cool
For me right now the best AV is...

And winner is...

Yeah winner is the...

A...

AVAST! Twisted Evil @ http://www.avast.com
gaspar
THE best of the world is mcafee viruscan center
So... if you want one, buy this one!
Caxius
the best? for me, panda!
Natrualkiller
Go Mcafee butit gives you some hard times with blocked programs and so on but it keeps your comp healthy Smile never go norton though lol i have and that thing never caught anything
Sneaky
I would say go free and get Ad-Aware for the light stuff, and for your more "heavy" virii, use this quality program called AVG Antivirus
venkateshwarans
Don't use norton. In 2004, my computer was infected by a small virus. It contained names like"porn, sex,XxX".... I right clicked it and made a noton antivirus 2003 professional edition check on it. It gave 0 infections. Right click a virus - it says zero infections. Urgg..
mwm
Check out ClamWin. Its free and opensource. It is maintained very well and does auto pattern updates.

It's what I use and I highly recommend it!

-mwm
hicham
I prefer NOD 32 but since I installed McAfee all products my computer has been going faster, but if you are runnning Windows XP I recommand Nortan Anti-Virus the last version (build).

Note: virusscanners aren't the only solution to a fast computer, the latest anti-spyware software must also been installed like Ad-Aware 6.0 Proffesional or higher.

Also use Mozzila FireFox instead of the old and easally hacked IE 6.0.

greettz, hicham
wolny77
NOD ist the Best + Firewall = SUPER GUARDIAN
Aelita
YOU! learn where viruses come from and how to avoid them, I have no virus software and have only gotten 1 virus since then, but I also know how to manually remove them, so Razz any way if you have internet like me you have a router which is also good. But if you must have some software McAfee is prolly the best you can get. at least in my opinion.
Cryptz
n0obie4life wrote:
use Mcafee.

i use 2-3 different Mcafee progs Smile

the Anti-Virus is the best one i used so far Very Happy
chiragshivnani
Avast rocks. no viruses till now. It is free for home users.
Krespov
There are many AV programs available, all of the manufacturers claim that they are "the best of the best", however, there is no one perfect AV, therefore my recommendation is to keep 2 or 3 of the most popular ones, MAKE sure you have updated Virus definitions and minimize the possibilities of getting viruses.
dhawal
I am a big BitDefender fan.
Its rated the No.1 Antivirus by toptenreviews.com
skyroja
gamego wrote:

it's a good stuff, i have installed it on more than 50 pc, and nowhere a virus came in.. Cool
corey
Krespov wrote:
There are many AV programs available, all of the manufacturers claim that they are "the best of the best", however, there is no one perfect AV, therefore my recommendation is to keep 2 or 3 of the most popular ones, MAKE sure you have updated Virus definitions and minimize the possibilities of getting viruses.
That sounds like a good idea, but usually, more than one will conflict with each other. And, yes, the best antivirus program is the one that's kept up to date.
TheGeek
AVG hands down. Iv used it for over 2 years and its the best one iv had. I have tried McAfee, Clamwin, and Norton. Clamwin couldnt remove viruses. McAfee just sucked. Norton took over my computer. AVG is very easy to use and doesnt take alot to run.
skyroja
TheGeek wrote:
AVG hands down. Iv used it for over 2 years and its the best one iv had. I have tried McAfee, Clamwin, and Norton. Clamwin couldnt remove viruses. McAfee just sucked. Norton took over my computer. AVG is very easy to use and doesnt take alot to run.

I agree, AVG dosn't use uch of your system resources
laogia
visit link here http://www.bkav.com.vn
very cool
Hikaru7
TheGeek wrote:

Yup. I use AVG, but i don't use the real time protection. I just scan once in a while, cause I don't like having too many processes up. I don't get viruses often, but i did get 1 once, and it removed it. The only complain I have is that it uses up alot of resources when scanning and takes a long time, 30+ minutes on my computer.
ladyavalon
I use avast works really great, updates reguarly very reliable program.
I have used to programs but they just never really work.
If your looking for a decent anti virus program i suggest you try it out.

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tag=srch&qt=avast&tg=dl-20&search.x=20&search.y=15
wrightbros
AVG has proven itself to me in catching quite a few viruses, and comes recommended from other power users. No-nag free version. At least try it if your shopping around for anti-virus.
travian
I like Trend Micro, personally, but currently I am using Avast! and Norton. Norton is a resource hog.
budazz
avg is the best antivirus...

it needs a low resource....and can catch many virusses Cool
fredy
The best Antivirus?

There are many antivirus programs like Norton Antivirus, AVG, Mcafee, Kaspersky, ...

The best is install one and mantain active in memory, aditionally update the virus signature database with some frecuency(daily, weekly); is a good idea install one or two other antivirus (but not resident in memory) to use some times manually to check the harddisks or the new files stored in the hard disk.

Finally, always is good backup the important data to external media to prevente loss of data.

Next time

Fredy
fredy
The best option to protect our computer from virus is:

* Patch the Operating system and browser for vulnerabilities.

* Actualize antivirus frecuently.

* Install a firewall an block some ports used by worms.

* Practice good habits of use of the computer scanning all new files stored en the computer.

* Not run attachments of email if yuo dont know the origin and if you not spectect one (verify with sender).

Is a litle basic list of rules to known when a computer is used, specially on line.
viper34
Now im using nod32 this anti-virus is the best there is .. it uses a small amount CPU not like the others , it can check the files even before you download them from the web and many more stuff like that.. so i recommend
to everyone just use nod32 .
Summer
McAfee wont cause problem unlike Norton .
uknowgary
Can anyone change the title? is it typo error?
I dont like norton because it is so slow, eat much computer resources. I dont like Mcafee too because it's product usually get bad review in Cnet. It's antispyware is not even better than the free one such as Spybot search & destroy.

That's what I have experience. You may o may not agree with me. I used all of them.
sugarbox
I think we should use Internet Security instead of using only AntiVirus program.

Cuz in internet securityprograms, they also have antivirus function, spam, and firewall .

I'll suguest McAfee Internet security 2005.
NOD32.
And Norton Internet Security 2005.
aardvark
If you are an NTL customer (and possibly if not too - I'm not sure) you can download Netguard for free at http://www.ntlworld.com/helpsupport/netguard/.
James007
Maybe the topic starter can come to a conclusion now? Laughing
Everyone who hasn't tried all anti virus programs, can't compare them all...
Maybe there is a better antivirus, but he hasn't used it yet...

James Smile
eday2010
I recommend NOT getting Norton AntiVirus. I had viruses in a few Word Documents for years while using Norton (up to date and all). Once I switched to Grisoft AVG, found them right away. I would go with AVG, either the free or the fee version. Also, AntiVir is also vey good, and free. It's also nice and German Smile.
greekcovers
I dont like Norton, too much recources in my PC and i had problem when i tryied to unistall ! I think NOD and Mcafee are the bests for me with avast.
Prabhu Raj
Hi Antivirus market is flooded with many products and it has been dificult to choose the products that suits your needs.
Here are some hints to choose from.

Norton: Uses lots of system resources. so a high end computer is recommended but is very good at protecting
McAfee: not as good as norton but doesnt slow down the pc.
Panda: According to me it is the best antivirus next to Dr. Solomon. It can clean wide varieties of worms and viruses. and block virus from entering your system through internet. a must have.
If you want to use the AV software for the office purpose i would recommend norton antivirus corporate edition.

Hope this information is enough to you.
dandollinger
I used to have Norton antivirus, but before my subscription ran out, i decided to buy McAffee. I had both McAffee and Norton up to date on my system. McAffee found stuff Norton did not. McAffee found stuff all the time, but cleaned them. Near the end of my McAffee, I installed Grisoft's AVG Antivirus free edition, which found About 3 viruses that McAffee missed. Since then, i use Grisoft AVG free. I have had no virus problems since. Also, i may add that AVG was named best AntiVirus Software by Consumer Reports. Best of it all, AVG is free. Smile
thinkping
ANGRA wrote:
mmm nobody mentioned F-Prot for Windows, i prefer it beacause don`t spend so much resources (like Panda), is really efficent and with a good configuration not disturb the job with windows messages like the Bitdifender firewall, for me is the best antiviral. Wink

Yes I also would recommend FPRot, needs ONLY approx. 1,7MB Ram, the Scanner in my work is a McAfee and uses over 40MB RAM!

The FProt is really extreme fast and reliable, updates are fast and small, takes on harddisk less that 10MB. I can really recommend it!

The thing on Norton that I hate is that if you have it longer installed there are likely getting some troubles if you want to uninstall it, to become it away after this its really hard. cause there are many services and apps loaded by this app :/
ammonkc
I've never really liked mcaffee. I personally like using symantec antivirus. I've had symantec antivirus on both my dell inspiron 8500 and my 15" Powerbook for a long time, and I've never gotten a single virus, worm, or spyware attack yet. And I use ie on my pc not firefox.
kvveo15
AVG FREE EDITION http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1 he work on al the systems
mathiforum
I used norton a few times and it wasn´t so great... Rolling Eyes the best you can use is mcaffee
MonkeyWrench
i would always go for norton internet security Very Happy
xtremepc
I use defender pro anti-virus, which comes in the defender pro 5-1 it cost around 20.00 at walmart.
wdonayre
The program I think is the best antivirus program is Norton Antivirus because it also has the internet security and the pop up blocker and all dat good stuff
golles
norton makes pc's slow. I hate slow computers.
I use antivir. I think it it beter then norton.

//golles
Satal Keto
Norton is rubbish im sorry to say, try Panda or Avast there both great Wink
Dark-Tech
The best is KApurski

i think thats how you spell it but its really expensive and i believe has the largest database of viruses

but i myself use adaware, spybot, and firefox as my antivirus i know non of them are actual antivirus progs but they do detect many of the more common viruses whether be a virus or not and firfox has a good popup blockker

besides i back everything up so if i actually got something really threatning i just reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows

nice and simple

besides norton always tells me it cant fix the problem the piece of shit it is
bvit
Trend Micro PC-Cillin... Worth A Try... Idea
mark
I have probably posted on this before but I was too lazy to search 8 pages for it. Anyway, I use Norton Internet Security 2005. It is really the best.
d0nn3r
I can strongly recommend ESET antivirus.
It's very good and doen't acquire much of cpu power.

Razz
asiddle423
AVG (www.grisoft.com)

its free, okay speed and good at detecting viruses

i would also recommend an anti-spyware tool
spy doctor (www.download.com)
Samyonair
I Use a german program, named Av-Personal published by bhv http://www.free-av.de. German PC-Magazines publish about every half of a Year a Test of Antivirprograms and this is tested by them and named as better than Norton because every day almost 4 updates of defenitons are published i use it on all my PC's I'm happy with it because it's free, the only thing thats bad is because it gives a 20€ /Year Version you have to check it alone, no runtime to do it automaticlly
mazurek
I use NOD32 + Kerio personal firewall .... my computer is very fast Very Happy
wactac
F-prot is the best antivirus software. Small memory footprint and it's fast.
ee82hl
Norton will need subscription every year, thats killer mann.
I think you can check out macfee or F-prot.

can check out some of the free ware in the web too.
Marcin_K
Try Avast! It's free for home use, there's an update almost everyday and it doesn't waste ur pc's resources.
Shirish
Trend Micro PC-Cillin... is the best of all

fastest

best database

continually updated with latest virus info

has all features

best at rermoving viruses

freely available

just give it a try
thiamshui
U can consider ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite which I'm currently using now.. Worth a buy..

[Get easy-to-use, comprehensive protection against hackers, spyware, worms, identity thieves, spam, and much more.]

Feature list:

- Triple Defense Firewall

Goes beyond traditional PC firewalls to protect your entire PC from hackers, spyware, and other Internet threats.

Blocks hackers from gaining access to your computer

Automatically makes your computer invisible to anyone on the Internet

Prevents spyware from sending your personal information across the Internet

Protects your programs and operating system from malware

- Integrated Anti-Spyware and Antivirus

Updates, scans, and removes spyware, viruses, and worms in a single, powerful operation.

Automatically removes the most dangerous and useless spyware and viruses for you

"Clears" legitimate monitoring software (such as cookies for Web sites you use frequently) so it doesn't get picked up in every spyware scan

- SmartDefense Service

Provides your PC with real-time security updates and new attack protection capabilities.

SmartDefense Advisor automatically adjusts your security settings for maximum protection against the latest virus and spyware outbreaks

DefenseNet keeps your PC security updated from the latest spyware and malware using information supplied by our ZoneAlarm user community

- Advanced Identity and Privacy Protection

Protects you from identity theft and online profiling.

Prevents your personal data from leaving your computer without your approval

Automatically stops pop-up ads so you can surf in peace

- Essential Email Security

Quarantines suspicious attachments to help defend against unknown viruses; automatically halts outbound messages to keep you from accidentally infecting others.

- Phishing and Spam Blocker

Automatically blocks phishing and junk emails from entering your inbox, protecting you from dangerous scams and annoying spam.

- IM Protection and Parental Control

Protects your instant messages—even those sent between different services—so they can't be monitored.

- Wireless PC Protection
Automatically detects wireless networks and secures your PC from hackers and other Internet threats wherever you're connected—at home or on the road.

System Requirements:
Windows 98SE/ME/2000 Pro/XP.
Pentium III 450 MHz or higher.
50MB of available hard disk space.
Internet access.
Minimum system RAM: 48MB (98SE/ME), 64MB (2000 Pro), 128MB (XP).
bananaphone
I used to use McAfee but it got totally destroyed by a virus.Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Now I use AVG and have not had a problem since.
optionwala
I would recommend AVG Free , works well, is fast, no system hogging, regular updates and free to top it all.
amaudy
I cheer AVG from Grisoft.com.

shaggly
AVG for me.

I was an ardent user of NAV until NAV2005.

Then it became even more resource intensive, and I also got very annoyed with their half baked firewall attempts. I found that I was having to spen more time fiddling with it, than leaving it running quietly in the background.

I since went with AVG, and I've had no problems whatsoever Smile
loserk
i like AntivirXP..it recognizes virus simultaneously...i think antivir rulezzz
bogden
just have to cast my vote for AVG free. serves me well, has autoupdate, enough said.
cokdes
Norton Antivirus is good, but AVG is also good and free Very Happy
Omego2K@
program^

I would say norton, always used it, never failed me
driftingfe3s
I love NOD32. Its very low on resources and very fast. Symantec corporate edition is very good as well. I've used Norton Antivirus 2005, Norton Internet security 2005. Those 2 are very bloated and use lot of resouces.
Tom7
I use VET. I have found it very reliable. BUT, i think it is only available in australia. I used to use norton and mcafee, but i got some viruses, and found those anti-viruses anoying.
orangeh
Panda antivirus is the best!!!
spirit
MacAfee is the best anti virus program hands down. This program updates itself. Can be programmed to scan for viruses at any time. Automaticly scans for new viruses. and you can usually get if for free(from MSN and Comcast at least)
manas
Avast is the best free antivirus light on the system too.
thermaltake
I use trend micro pc cillin 2006 internet security. trend micro isn't that bad. it's actually pretty good. i also heard that adaware se professional is good. my fiends use adaware. one of my mates said that adaware is tonnes good and it comes with tonnes of protection programs. do you no where i can download adaware se professional from and dos the program come clean e.g. no bugs or viruses. thanx

go frihost the best host in the world and i no everyone agrees on that. all my firends use frihost and they think its the best in the world. do go frihost!!
Jeff_vella_leone
thermaltake wrote:
I use trend micro pc cillin 2006 internet security. trend micro isn't that bad. it's actually pretty good. i also heard that adaware se professional is good. my fiends use adaware. one of my mates said that adaware is tonnes good and it comes with tonnes of protection programs. do you no where i can download adaware se professional from and dos the program come clean e.g. no bugs or viruses. thanx

go frihost the best host in the world and i no everyone agrees on that. all my firends use frihost and they think its the best in the world. do go frihost!!

well on downloads.com u will surly find it.
I never found bugs in it, but its the basic not the pro, u must buy it to have the real time scaning but it is very good the same, its scans updates with no time limit.
i tell u, if there is adware that adware se personal can't find, no other program can find it, so i think its the best u can get for free.
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tag=srch&nid=1&qt=adware+se+personal&tg=dl-20
JCdude5
The best one....I think is AVG from http://www.grisoft.com. It is free and reliable. Also it updates itself.
bjwok
i've had issues in the past with norton, so i stopped using it and gave it to my mum. she has never had a problem with it, although she only uses the www for email and the occasional photo.

i now use AVG free edition and in terms of anti virus it is fine, but for pop ups and spyware i use spybots search and destroy... so far so good. touch wood!
JCdude5
I found that Adaware SE Personal from http://www.lavasoft.com works quite well as an antispyware program.
bjwok
hi jc dude5.

yeah i actually forgot to mention that one! i use it also in combination with spybot search and destroy... works quite well...
redtigris
I am using bitdefender pro in combination with hitman pro.

bitdefender is a very good antivirus scan/firewall
hitman pro is a automatic program witch uses ad-aware, spybot, spysweeper and al kinds of good scanners against adware Smile
bjwok
the ironic thing after having posted on this thread:

i have somehow got a virus! arghhh! and it one of the those annoying hijacking ones that opens up two extra web pages every time I open a new browser.

i am at work at the mo, but when i get home i will post the details of it in the hope that someone has a cure...

might even start a new thread diedicated it actually, no doubt others need to know a work around...
bjwok
ok, i posted a thread regarding qwiklinks.com & winfixer.com above, which is giving me a lot of problems... anyone seen these?
abhinav_shah
I think Norton is the best antivirus software available. I have used Mc-Afee and AVG too , but they are not as effective as Norton.
sunlover
I use NOD32 It's very lite (small and working great) Very Happy
hack_man_
gamego wrote:

I use Norton Internet Security 2005, but I amonly using that because it came free with my wireless gateway. I would much ratheruse Nod32, although it does not have anti-spam andad blocking and other convieniences, it is damn good at disposing of those little buggers!
slashgrab
Probably the best AV is NOD32.
It's not the most famous (though it's becoming very popular).
Its firewall is the best one I've ever seen. It detects virus from files before they download and stop every hack and spyware attempt from "Security Related Pages".
Its scanner is really good too (not as good as Kaspersky's maybe, but...) and it doesn't slow down your computer at all (something vey important in Window$...).
I'm running NOD32 and still no viruses, trojans, spyware, adware or so have got into my computer.
bjwok
hey slashgrab,

is AV NOD32 free? be keen to give it a spin...

how good is it at removing already established spyware?
bao
I use Mcafee.
Lamp
If I were you and I wanted to harm my copmuter so badly that it couldn't recover and go as fast as a living piece of crap, use McAfee (It is McAfee not Mac-A-Fee. I have heard it so many times like that and it is getting annoying). McAfee only gets rid of half of the virus/spam/spyware and leaves the rest to still boot with you and infect your computer silently. If you want some real virus control and domianation, use AVG. Either Free or Paid, doesn't really matter unless you have used McAfee before, then get Paid because you'll need it to get rid of the mess provided so kindly by McAfee.
jmanjman47
I like nortan but its kinda slow. Panda Antivirus is doing alot better
eday2010
I don't like Norton at all. For 3 years Ihad a fewWord documents on my computer. They ended up containing an old virus in them from the late 90's. Norton never found them. As soon as I installed AVG and scanned my computer, it found them and cleaned them. I used AVG until recently. I tried Panda Internet Security. I thought it was great, but I don't have a license for it. So I installed AntiVir. It seems to work very well. For spyware, I have SpyBot - Search & Destroy installed, but I don't like how it gets in the way all the time. I may just go purchase Webroot Spysweeper. PC World rated it as the best spyware program. And it's not expensive either.
sprk3
I use Pccillan i feel it is good & i also use spybot it is good.Norton antivirus hangs after few updates & it also uses lot of resources.
savabg
I think someone already mentioned it .. but buy NOD32 ... i had never heard of it until a friend of mine recommended it and from then on i have been using it. Lets just say that my computer runs as fast as before and on top of that i have not had any viruses. Plus it stop all those annoying activex scripts (the ones that bypass our beloved security center that came with windows xp sp2)
manumiglani
There is no best anti virus program. You must decide what do you want and how much knowledge you have about computers. i mean it depends which antivirus is best for you.

use panda if you want better protection from intrusions.
use macfee if you want better protection from adware.
use norton if you dont have much of knowledge about computers.

it depends
VIPER VENOM
i found that mcfee andnortons used way to much memory to run and i was better off with the virus. then someone told me about avg. i have had it for 2 years now. no problems. i did run into one virus it would not remove. i shut down avg and loaded mcfee updated it and it would not remove it either. but i did get rid of it wasnt easy though. but i use it avg and microsoft anti spyware and dont have any complaints.
elektronikevi
my ideas are norton or mcaffee
Kaisonic
I gotta go with AVG. I'm sure there are better antivirus programs out there, but for being free, AVG's pretty damn good. It's what I use, and I've been virus-free for almost 1.5 years. Seriously. It's awesome.
m0rph1n3
I had norton anti-virus but symantec coudlnt help me with a problem, it kept turning off and then i got McAfee and it workd perfect. In my opinion McAfee is the way to go!
silli
Norton antivirus has served well. It's reliable, easy to use and the LiveUpdate is awesome.
Cano
I use Norton Antivirus. It's good but I can't turn off scanning every installing, copying, saving file. When I turn of BitComet I sometimes have to wait about 30 min when norton is scanning every file that I donload! And I must reset my comuter. The same happens when I unzip sth, copying or download from the Internet. And the worst is that my subscription to virus protection has expired. I will not install Norton next time after I format my computer.

Greets
Cáno
710ths
Hi If you haven't already gone ahead and bought a copy, have you thought of looking on ebay. I was in a similar position and couldn't afford the prices asked direct from AVG or Norton's websites. If you follow this link to ebay you should find some AVG being sold on there for as little as £7.99 or £12.99 for antivirus and firewall.
http://search.ebay.co.uk//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=AVG

Again if you haven't gone ahead and purchased. I like AVG and would recommend their software. You can get a free trail for 30 days for there antiviruis and firewall. Its a bit tricky to find it on their site so here is the URL http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Programs/lng/us/tpl/tpl01?prd=triafw
burzum
i use kaspersky antivirus, i really like it sofar, the scan is really fast etc...
i totally reccomend it! Very Happy
harsha
norton is best. but it slows ur system. not recommended if system has low configuration
maia
this is just a repost from topic virus and spyware

===

i use the same combination. the Zone Alarm Firewall is great and free, but i don't like their other products much. i've also been using Ad-Aware for several years now, and it's good and doesnt use much of my resources.

i'm a paranoid when it comes to viruses. i have AVG Free, and i also installed a PC-Cillin on my PCs. i prefer to have two Real Time Scanners, because some viruses these days are intelligent. they autohide or transfer. AVG and PCcillin is the best combination i've got for antivirus. i've also used MaAfee and Norton before, but they don't work as well as the AVG and PC-Cillin combination.

if you guys don't have PC-Cillin, you can also use the TrendMicro HouseCall online scanner. it's free and it scans and removes your computer of viruses and spywares, and it also analyzes other security threats to your PC.
berrs003
F, secure probably the best allows you to customise your wn stuff when and where you want !
ichibanjay
I find that Avast works very well. It's nice that it has a way of showing that it is work, with it's spinning icon. But, that is just for looks it features for free:

Antivirus kernel
Automatic updates
Simple User Interface
Virus Chest
Resident protection
System integration
P2P and IM Shields
Integrated Virus Cleaner
Network Shield
Support for 64-bit Windows
Web Shield
Internationalization
Virus Recovery Database

Personally, I think it kicks AVG's butt. Available here:
http://www.avast.com
David_Pardy
Norton Anti-Virus is NOT the best - it is a HORRIBLE piece of software. Believe me, I have had to fix a lot computers which have been stuffed up by having it on them. It's slow, it interferes with the activity of the computer WAY too much, and it's a torture trying to install/uninstall it when it has one of its regular internal collapses.

McAfee isn't much better.

AVG is alright as far as freebies go, I would choose it over NAV any day.

But the two best PAID AV programs are:

Norman Virus Control - www.norman.com

and

VET Anti-Virus - www.vet.com.au

Please trust me when I say DON'T use Norton Anti-Virus.
headlong
I recommend Norton Antivirus and Synabtec Antirus. Actually they are from the same company.

ZoneAlarm will help you block those Trojan horse hidden in some web pages.

There are good deals on the internet, so than you can get the above software for free after rebate.
vignesh_natraj
If you are going to buy one the go in for a Sysmantech product or McAfee.
If you are intersted in freeware the download AVG 7 from its website. Exclamation
moejoe
I use Nortan AntiVirus 2005, it works well, but is sh!t at destroying virus processes, registries entry and the virus files (if the virus is more advanced). Yes, it does protect your computer VERY well, with Worm blocks and firewall that is strong.

It slows down start up, I hate that. And you can only download updates for a year, then you have to get a new suscription or buy the Latest N.A.V.

Symantac 2001 Corp < Updates forever! (v.old and server is slow and is down sometimes.)

McAfee is a much lighter program, less processes, less start up time, and less hard-drive space, but lacks in Symantac (makers of Norton) technolodgy, but think about this; More is Less (Viruses Razz).

Cyaz!
motamedi
the bests program antivirus are Kaspersky , Nortone , bitdefeder .
Temple
I use AVG Free, and I'm 100% Virus free. The point is to stay away from sites and downloads from places that aren't big known sites. Everyone can stay 100% virus free. ^_^
KHO
You should make this a poll so that people don't have to go through the entire thing and see how many times something got rated. Then the current favorite will just be at the top for all to see and download Neutral
coolboy
You should try AVG free, I always liked that, its the best virusscanner that exists, and it's free!!!!
try tapping it in at www.google.com
Animal
I really can't recommend Norton. It seriously crashed my computer when I tried to update it from version 2002 to 2003 - apparently my mistake was that when I uninstalled the old version, I should have searched for any file containing "Norton" or "Symantec" and delete them before installing the new one. As it turns out, the old version files didn't work properly with the new ones, so my computer wouldn't start up properly. Safe mode -> Uninstall.

Since then, I've been using AVG Free Edition - it's much less resource-hungry, and I've not had a single problem with it to date.
FriBogdan
The best i think it is Panda Antivirus BUT it has some bug's very annoying and it takes allot of RAM so...i don't use it.
The best at performance/detection without bugs, memory consumption very low and so on...is NOD32. So...use it!
Rocky3478
I've heard really good things about AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. I've been using it on 3 PCs around here lately, and it takes up minimal system resources, and caught things that Mcafee never found, so it's decent in my book.
Metaguy
OKAY! Its not that hard (ones in bold are best):

Virus:
Norton: Slows system, but good
McAfee: Good but can be annoying sometimes
AVG: Good except for some email issues
Anti-Vir: Very good, can be a bit difficult at times
Panda: Meh, okay not perfect
ZoneAlarm: Very good, can be abit annoying with all the warnings

Spyware:
Ad-Aware: Great, free anti-spyware
Microsoft Antispyware (also known as Defender): Good, doesnt catch everthing
Spybot: Can cause major problems, but useful at times

There you go...
dzo
I'm not getting commission for this but ANTIVIR is brilliant and its free!

http://www.free-av.com/

The weekly updates take under a minute and I have never had any Virus problems...

I loves my ANTIVIR

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
George Bernard Shaw, Razz
darknesscloud
zonealarm its a firewall and a antivirus i havent had one in 5 years ince i got it and its ownly 20$
sunjay
Hey,

You guys heard of Trend Micro Pc-Cillin? It's excellent. It's got everything as well - Spyware scanner, mail scanner...

James
mukesh
harsha wrote:
norton is best. but it slows ur system. not recommended if system has low configuration

Norton is really to much better then others but System configuration is need better so, I like Microsoft antivirus Security Essential. Microsoft Security Essential is very lite and working fine so i recommended only this antivirus.