FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any professional game developers/programmers here?

Slammer
hey, just as the title asks basically. Im just looking for a bit of insight into what its like to do this as a job. I've been accepted into university to study a degree in games developement and programming, ill be starting this after the summer as long as i get a B and a C in my exams this year. Any advice, hints or tips would be great!

Thanks! Twisted Evil
Ka7raK
What exactly do you need?
game_dev
Here's something I learned from experiended and sucessful professionals and it's valid for any engeneering/art related career: try to build a solid cultural background and explore deeply into some other subjects that you love, so that this other "knowledge spaces" are able to inspire you in your professional work.

Put in other words, the most talented designers dont draw inspiration only from webpages they see, but from music they hear/play, a comic book they love or a comunity they collaborate with.

Just my 2 cents. I wish you the best of luck with your carrer. Wink

Rock on,

gd
FunDa
All the best for ur career. Follow what game_dev said - it's more important to like what u do. Find the inspiration and u can do great things.
Warriorza
Hello,

I'm not a experienced game developper (I'm only 13 lol), but I know that if you are making a game and you just don't come any further or you have an error that you can't solve, keep trying, after a while you will always find the awnser.

Good luck,
Warriorza
Cibes
I'm still in school, but I'm interested in gameprogramming too.
Where do you study that, and what are the topics they teach?
Warriorza
Cibes wrote:
I'm still in school, but I'm interested in gameprogramming too.
Where do you study that, and what are the topics they teach?

If you are interested in gameprogramming but don't know programminglanguages you could try game maker, here's the url:

www.gamemaker.nl

It's all in English.
Cibes
Warriorza wrote:
If you are interested in gameprogramming but don't know programminglanguages you could try game maker
No, at the moment I'm programming in c# and work already on some own game ideas. I'm just curious about studying something like that professionally.
Warriorza
ok, I didn't know that.
I'm only a 13 years old dutch boy lol.
rayx
If you want to become a game programmer you have to learn the basic of programming and start with C/C++ laguages.
AftershockVibe
I'm employed as a programmer and I'm afraid I have to disagree. At university it is important you learn the principles of programming, not just a given language. That said, C++ is very common as is Java, however sensible comapanies realise that those languages are almost identical and will allow you a week or so to pick them up. It's suprisingly easy when you understand the principles which is why it's so important to know them.
Egmond
Warriorza wrote:
ok, I didn't know that.

I think you may give it a try! I'm 14 years old and dutch too ;D.

I'm currently reading a (dutch) book about pascal (which seems to be required for C), and it isn't that hard, just a bit boring.

And of course you can use the (dutch!) Gamemaker, which isn't that hard either.
Warriorza
Egmond wrote:
Warriorza wrote:
ok, I didn't know that.

I think you may give it a try! I'm 14 years old and dutch too ;D.

I'm currently reading a (dutch) book about pascal (which seems to be required for C), and it isn't that hard, just a bit boring.

And of course you can use the (dutch!) Gamemaker, which isn't that hard either.

Yeah, maybe I'll try sometime but now I'm to busy with school (vwo is hard Sad )

Thank you