FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

User folder

RiCtee
Is there any way to delete the "Drive:\Documents and Settings\User" folder?? When I tried to delete it, it says the folder is a Windows system folder and is required, but I don't think so. I wanted to delete it because there is no need for it. The user is used for the runas.exe (administrator on a limited account).
Animal
You would need to delete the "User" Windows login account.

To do so, go to START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL > USER ACCOUNTS, select the account named "User" and delete it. Just remember that you will lose everything on this account including things in My Documents, the Desktop and the Start Menu so be sure that you have a copy of everything you need.
RiCtee
I don't want to delete the account!! All I want is an account without the "Documents and Settings" folder - Such as the "My Documents", "My Pictures", "Local Settings", "Start Menu" folder.
Animal
You can't do that.

The way XP works is it creates user accounts - they are all stored within their own folder, eg. "User". If there are several accounts on one computer, the user of account 1 won't be able to access account 2's files - it's a security feature.

You'll need to live with it, I'm afraid... unless you "upgrade" to Windows 98. But that would be silly.
MyITLab
There's really no need to delete the folder...it doesn't consume that much space anyway.
Animal
MyITLab wrote:
There's really no need to delete the folder...it doesn't consume that much space anyway.

It doesn't take up any space - what RiCtee wants to do is move all its contents into Documents and Settings without having the Users folder. Memory usage is essentially zero.
ocalhoun
Animal wrote:

You'll need to live with it, I'm afraid... unless you "upgrade" to Windows 98. But that would be silly.

I tried recently to upgrade a windows XP home edition to windows 2K pro, but that is actualy impossible. You have to completely wipe XP off first.

Windows does not support 'reverse upgrading', apparently, they're egocentric enough to think that windows XP is better than previous windows versions in every single way.