FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My old dog.

decard cain
When I post here, if i'm acting a bit strange, its because its the day my old labrador, major was born.
He was like a brother to me, the bond between us was so great that nothing could sepperate us until...

Even now i still feel like he's with me, guiding me, ever since that day, I've never felt alone again.
joopc
I am surprised that there aren't any more subjects about dogs here. I am the owner of a rhodesian ridgeback, also called pronkrug. he is very nice to see, handsome boy. atletic. his caracter is only good for me and my family, he doesn't like other people.
joopc
something is going wrong with the posting. i wanted to say it is very nice you remember your labrador major.
DoctorBeaver
Dogs are the most wonderful company. I'd be lost without mine. I had to have 1 put to sleep last July & I still miss him. He was like me - a grumpy old git!

Joopc - Ridgebacks are fabulous dogs. In general they are great with kids, very loyal, and fantastic guard dogs. Good fun to play-fight with too! Razz
simp
decard cain wrote:
When I post here, if i'm acting a bit strange, its because its the day my old labrador, major was born.
He was like a brother to me, the bond between us was so great that nothing could sepperate us until...

Even now i still feel like he's with me, guiding me, ever since that day, I've never felt alone again.

may i assume that although unstated, that the laborador in question is deceased? if so, then my heartfelt condolences go out to you. I know what it is to experience dogs all too quickly getting old and dying.

i am reminded of the saying that only the good die young. perhaps that is why the lives of dogs are relatively short. dogs have an innocence and honesty completely absent in humans, which is probably why the more of people i know, the more i prefer the company of dogs!

sometime, take a moment to Google the phrase "Rainbow Bridge". there you will find a poem by that name, which may be a comfort to ponder. after you cry first.
m.juronis
hello
i have dog. He old ten years. he name andas. He is very good. We are the best friends in the world.
ladyrobina
decard cain wrote:

At one stage in my life I had four dogs, all of whom I loved unreservedly. There is only one drawback to owning a dog and that is that one day you will have to let them go.
If you are very lucky they die of natural causes. Two of my dogs lived to be into their sixteenth year and two are still with us.
My husband accidentally ran over our dear little silky when she went to sleep in front of the back wheel of the car. She was deaf and half blind so didn't hear the engine which is not surprising at that age. To say he was devastated is an understatement.
Our big bull terrier/cattle dog cross, just lay down in the garden and refused to eat. He was nearly seventeen and as we could not let him starve to death, we had to have him put down. I held his head while he went. It rated right up there with the other worst days of my life.
I hope I haven't depressed everyone too much.
Pyxel
I have been through many animals; dogs, cats, horses, fish, rabbits ... the basic list of pet types. Oh and birds too.

But (aside from my cats, cuz I love my egyptian mau) my golden retriver was the closest to me of any of me pets. He was a great dog. I had to find him another owner cuz I moved to an appartment and he was used to the wide open space of the country. I miss him alot .. hope he is doing okay ..
ladyrobina
[quote="ladyrobina"]
decard cain wrote:

Quote:

At one stage in my life I had four dogs, all of whom I loved unreservedly. There is only one drawback to owning a dog and that is that one day you will have to let them go.
If you are very lucky they die of natural causes. Two of my dogs lived to be into their sixteenth year and two are still with us.
My husband accidentally ran over our dear little silky when she went to sleep in front of the back wheel of the car. She was deaf and half blind so didn't hear the engine which is not surprising at that age. To say he was devastated is an understatement.
Our big bull terrier/cattle dog cross, just lay down in the garden and refused to eat. He was nearly seventeen and as we could not let him starve to death, we had to have him put down. I held his head while he went. It rated right up there with the other worst days of my life.
I hope I haven't depressed everyone too much.

Quote:

In spite of all that, I must add that I have not had my last dog. We will get another small house dog in the not too distant future. Much as I love the little terriers, it will have to be a calm natured breed, as we no longer live on acreage and neighbours are closer.
I was thinking of a cavalier king charles spaniel cross. Anyone have any other suggestions?

nastik81
we are never getting a dog again. Had 3 dogs, one of them for 14 years, another one just for 2. It's fun when they are young and full of life, but once they get old and sick, its tearing my heart apart. Hard to watch your animal suffer. Our golden retriever died at 2, he had a whole bunch of different health issues. So now we got a cat - they live longer and seem more healthy in general Smile
paul_indo
I have two dogs now. One Rottweiller and one local Indonesian dog. Both are fantastic dogs and the best of friends.

Funny though, the Rotty will hardly ever stand up to the little dog and is always a bit uneasy around other dogs, but is fearless of people.
The little Indonesian dogs is scared to death of people but fearless of other dogs, big or small.

They both love to jump up on the bed at night and slowly push my wife and I across the bed till she wakes up and gets mad with them, or falls out first. Smile

I have had three dogs die in Indonesia in the last 4 years. One retriever and two local dogs. The second and 5th are still ok, the Rotty and a local dog.
Disease is very bad here, for animals and people.
My wife had two of her brothers die at 2 and 6 years old.
2 out of 5 children in one family, not that unausual in the villages here.
cocobirdi
i've got a skipperky/schnauzer mix... she's like 14 and still bouncing around! she's got her days where she can barely move, mostly when it's cold out, but sometimes she's a nutty puppy again. i've had her since i was like 7 and i'm sure gonna miss her when she's gone.
triggerhappy
i have an old dog his name is jermy he has a green collor a bad back he also is brown and has a light brown spot on his leg he loves being held he also does not like it when you play running games with him he likes the old fashion attation like petting and tug of war he also sometimes fetchs but that rarly happens he is a good dog Very Happy
Gitesh
I had a dog once. he guarded my farm very well for more than 8 years., mid size,white dog it was left for dying at my uncles.,I brought it to my farm and the it started getting healthy and lived with us for so many precious years. we got so fond of him he waspart of our family andwas cared for like family member. He loyally guarded our farm from monkeys who used to damage corn cropand also from thrives who used to steal oranges. I still remember the morning we sat together in one winter morning on the rock basking in the sun.peaceful and tranquil, just wàtching the stable water from river flowing peacefully. and then there were our thrilling expeditions following and keeping away the monkeys from destroying our crop. good days and bad the dog is one good friend to always remember. I lost it one day., today I feel like having pet one more dog but life in urban city has made it impossible so far.
protestantreformation
like dogs
enilsoncba
decard cain wrote:

Unfortunately we have to outlive our puppies ... many years ago when I was a child in the house had two beautiful dogs, loving, obedient, and faithful companions ... I remember always playing with them, and also sometimes called attention like any other owner. However, it was clear that fear they feel, with an apparent sadness at being admonished, went a simple glitch finger ... to this day I can not understand how we are infinitely worse than dogs in that sense .. We place the hurt, anger, sadness .. but they do not ... we love unquestionably unintentionally and desperately to die with us ...
I imagine your pain at this loss but I really believe he'll be always watching you in your life, in your thoughts, and only good memories of the time they lived together.