FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Self Re-boot

frenchy
My PC seems to be rebooting it self up after ive shut-it down.
Doesn't mater if its throught the start menu of if i hold the button for 10 sec.

Anyone got a clue ????

Thanx
x-stream
Which OS do you use? Maybe it΄s helpful to repair it (MS Windows: Put in CD -> menu install -> Repair)
frenchy
I use Windows XP
Ill try and repair it see what happens.
ocalhoun
Some PC's will automaticly boot up as soon as they are pugged into the power. This could be a malfunction of that feature.

If your'e comfortable with computers:

17 easy steps to solving this problem, by ocalhoun...

1: open case
2: trace wires from the power button (front panel) to the motherboard.
3: identify the power button wires (using the motherbord manual, the case manual, or writing on the board)
4: while the machine is running, unplug the power button's wire from the motherboard.
5: using a spare conductive object (jumper, key, screwdriver, et cetera) connect the two leads that the power button used to be plugged into in order to complete the circut.
6: hold for 10 seconds
7: if this caused anything diferent from usual to happen, replace the power button (which means either rig up a new one or replace your case)
8: if that did not change anything then:
9: plug the power button back in.
10: Unplug the computer.
11: Replace the power supply with a spare (hopefully you have another computer that you can borrow parts from).
12: Boot up the computer.
13: Shut down the computer.
14: If this changed anything, then the power supply was bad, replace it if you can't leave the current one installed.
15: If this did not change anything then:
16: Replace the motherboard.
17: If all of that dosen't solve your problem, then you have an extremely curious problem.
GOMichael
wake on LAN possibly?

http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-howto/
KHO
One thing you may want to try is to boot, and just keep pressing F8, then once you get the boot options, you should be able to disable an automanic re-boot on system faliure. This may or may not help Neutral hope it does.
ocalhoun
What immidiately preceeded the first time it did that?
matrix07
FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:
PRESS THE RESET BUTTON
PRESS F8
AFTER PRESSING U CAN CHOOSE OPTION:
REBOOT OR LAST KWON CONFIGURATION THAT WORKED.
IF DIS DOES NT WORK,U HAVE TO INSERT THE OPERATING SYSTEM CD(XP.98,2000) N TRY TO REPAIR BY CHOOSING REPAIR OPTION!!!
DATS IT!!!
Clash
matrix07 wrote:
FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:
PRESS THE RESET BUTTON
PRESS F8
AFTER PRESSING U CAN CHOOSE OPTION:
REBOOT OR LAST KWON CONFIGURATION THAT WORKED.
IF DIS DOES NT WORK,U HAVE TO INSERT THE OPERATING SYSTEM CD(XP.98,2000) N TRY TO REPAIR BY CHOOSING REPAIR OPTION!!!
DATS IT!!!
Is your caps lock key stuck? Laughing

btw you must press F8 after your Bios finishes loading and before Windows starts loading.

As for your problem, Windows XP automatically restarts in the case of a system failure. Disabling the 'restart on system failure' feature may help isolate the exact cause: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery, click Settings. Under System Failure, uncheck the box in front of Automatically restart.

There is also an issue with EasyCD creator which can cause the same problem.

It's not a great idea to reinstall your OS in the case of a problem like this. If it's a hardware problem, it will still manifest itself after a reinstall, which pretty much makes the process a complete waste of time. If it's a software failure causing a system filure, then the same is also true.

Think of the time it will take to backup all your data, reinstall the system and restore all your data. Multiply that by two, and devote that time to searching for the answer. You'll win every time.