FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Iran refuses to stop nuclear work

rabbani
Iran will continue its controversial nuclear research programme no matter what action the UN takes against it, one of its top officials has said.
The United States is pushing the UN to warn Iran it could "face consequences" for refusing to stop the programme.

In a harsh statement, Iran said the US was "susceptible to harm and pain. So if that is the path that the US wishes to choose, let the ball roll."

The UN Security Council could begin talks on Iran as soon as next week.

The council has the power to impose sanctions, but it is not clear that all its key members would back punitive measures.

Iran remains defiant, with President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad saying the country would not "submit to bullying".

Javad Vaidi, Iran's top delegate to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) also suggested the country could consider cutting oil exports, though he said it would not do so yet.

Iran is the world's fourth largest oil exporter. Its economy relies heavily on selling oil.

Offer rejected

The flurry of public statements on Iran came as the IAEA's head, Mohamed ElBaradei, delivered a long-awaited report into Tehran's nuclear programme.

It said the UN nuclear watchdog could not confirm Iran was not seeking nuclear weapons.

The US opposes allowing Iran to enrich any uranium, and Russia's foreign minister also rejected an Iranian compromise proposal on Wednesday.

The Agency is not at this point in time in a position to conclude that there are no undeclared nuclear materials or activities in Iran

Leaked IAEA report

Iran's diplomatic escalator

In an effort to head off Security Council intervention, Iran had suggested last week it might be allowed to enrich only small quantities of uranium for research purposes while importing most of its nuclear fuel from Russia.

But on a visit to Washington, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Moscow's proposal for Iran to enrich uranium on Russian territory depended on Iran's full compliance with international demands.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has given no ground in negotiations

The IAEA wants Iran to suspend uranium enrichment altogether.

Western powers believe Iran wants to develop nuclear arms, a claim it denies.

Tehran says it wants to develop its nuclear sector only to produce energy for civilian purposes.

Three years of negotiations between Iran and the EU have brought no significant result, and Iran resumed enrichment in January after a two-year hiatus.

Sources now say the UN Security Council could begin discussing Iran as soon as next week.

The council's likely first step would be to issue a demand that Iran stop nuclear activities by a certain deadline.

It might then issue a further warning before beginning to consider sanctions.

Compensation appeal

President Ahmadinejad gave a defiant speech to supporters as the IAEA was meeting in Vienna.

"If we put up a firm resistance, they will be defeated and humiliated by the Iranian nation's will," he said.

"The world must know that if anyone tries to violate the Iranian nation's rights, the Iranian nation will leave the blot of shame of regret on their forehead."

A day earlier he called for compensation for Iran's decision to halt its nuclear research programme for two years - without noting the decision was Tehran's own.
Devil
Well they are in for a hard time now
rabbani
No they are doing their work about nuclear energy very relaxing.
riyadh
if iran wants to carry on with thier nuclear program, they should unless they do anything bad with it. y should the USA be the only one in this world to have a nuclear program. they r no rulers of this world. all they r just a bunch of <censored> who don't have any other job except poke thier nose into other people's business. no wonder all of 'em r fat!!!
rabbani
I think Iran doesn't have any nuclear weapon and don't want to have it. Iran only wants to use the power of nuclear. If Iran wants to have nuclear weapons other countries will rush iran. Becuase still Iran isn't like US, UK, Russia etc to do everything it wants. Is Iran's nuclear program really important for you??? Question
SunburnedCactus
So they are following a strictly civilian nuclear program?

So why are they refusing to negotiate? Why won't they allow snap UN inspections? What are they hiding exactly?
rabbani
If Iran accept those rules in IAEA it should buy Uranium or something from other countries and when the other countries don't want to sell it to Iran something bad will happen to Iran.
Soulfire
riyadh wrote:
if iran wants to carry on with thier nuclear program, they should unless they do anything bad with it. y should the USA be the only one in this world to have a nuclear program. they r no rulers of this world. all they r just a bunch of ****** who don't have any other job except poke thier nose into other people's business. no wonder all of 'em r fat!!!

Your stereotypes only succeed in making you look like a fool. We are NOT the only ones with a nuclear program, contrary to you ignorant statements, there are PLENTY of countries with nuclear programs... we don't want to take the risks of adding more. Forgive us for trying to avoid nuclear war, a nuclear war which could one day destroy the whole world.

We're being cautious. Do we really want to add gasoline to the fire? Not at this time, no.
ocalhoun
rabbani wrote:
If Iran accept those rules in IAEA it should buy Uranium or something from other countries and when the other countries don't want to sell it to Iran something bad will happen to Iran.

It is blatantly against international law to sell uranium from country to country.
monkeystravels
Quote:
It is blatantly against international law to sell uranium from country to country.

What international law?

---------
It is very interesting that Iran are seemingly prepared to set themselves against US unipolarity. Not even stronger states with greater potential seem willing to do this. i.e. China, Russia, Japan.

The US is so far ahead militarily, technologically and economically that it simply isn't worth going against them as everyone else is so far behind and completely unable to compete in all 3 areas against the US. Iran face a problem that even before they can make it to even trying to face off against the US, they will have their neighbours balancing power against them. While the US have the benefit of the bandwagon effect where all the other states get behind them. As well as the international institutions, which are built in their image.
The idea of Iranian nuclear capabilities is presumably to beef up military power. Yet this could compromise their economy, as the big oil consumers are not in favour of Iran’s ambitions. The US, Europe, Russia, China, Japan can all get oil elsewhere (although it would be a pain), but Iran cant afford to crash its economy by having a trade embargo put against it.
In sum, I think Iran is talking tough in an attempt to get what they want. As long as the US et al stick to their objections I don't see how Iran can possibly cope. I mean, the US managed to wear the USSR into the ground. Doing the same to Iran from a stronger position with all the big states on side will not be a problem.
rabbani
I think it's a limitation for Iran but all of you are right about the war and other problems in middle east.
Scorpio
Well, Iran may or may not be hiding anything. But the fact is that IAEA is being manipulated by USA into searching iran. The US consists of a bunch of freaks who feel they should be the ones with everything from nuclear weapons to other technology while others must listen to them
Well their attitude sucks and what iran is doing is right

US always has double standards for everyone.
They are just plain scared of everything around them. Thats what you get having too much of anything except common sense. Insecurity.
Soulfire
scorpio wrote:
Well, Iran may or may not be hiding anything. But the fact is that IAEA is being manipulated by USA into searching iran. The US consists of a bunch of freaks who feel they should be the ones with everything from nuclear weapons to other technology while others must listen to them
Well their attitude sucks and what iran is doing is right

US always has double standards for everyone.
They are just plain scared of everything around them. Thats what you get having too much of anything except common sense. Insecurity.

So you're saying that, as America, we should allow a nation who has strong animosity with us to have nuclear technology. The same nuclear technology we allow them to have may be used in the form of weapons against us. You would seriously allow nuclear weapons in the unstable world of the middle east?

Forgive us for being cautious, we can't very well just prance around and pretend things are okay, allowing whoever wants it to have nuclear weapons, especially countries that might use them against us.

The problem is we don't know Iran's intentions, they are acting suspicious, what have they got to hide? All we want to do is inspect before we condone - is that so wrong? Then again, people seem to ALWAYS find a way to turn innocent, defensive precautions around on the U.S. and say we're evil.

Whatever.
nam_siddharth
It is security issue for any country to allow a foriegner team to investigate its sensitive areas. Can USA allow it in case of USA itself. The answer will be not.
rabbani
Really the people in Iran want to have connection with USA. But the idiot leaders such as Ahmadynejad don't want it. He is really an idiot. the reality is that the people didn't elect him an he was elected before the election. So we want to have connection with you and in these 27 years after revolution we didn't have a chance to do it. President Khatami and Rafsanjani try to do that and when we were at the final levels Ahmadynejad becam the president.
Jack_Hammer
riyadh wrote:
if iran wants to carry on with thier nuclear program, they should unless they do anything bad with it. y should the USA be the only one in this world to have a nuclear program. they r no rulers of this world. all they r just a bunch of ****** who don't have any other job except poke thier nose into other people's business. no wonder all of 'em r fat!!!

Kind of agree though hates the way it was written.
amirkpe
Mr rabbani as u said i don't think that Iran is following a Nuclear Weapon programme .. but you know there are some rules in international diplamacy ... absolutly pres.Bush do not like the regime in iran ,why ? cause it's against their benefits in the middle east .. so he will use any dark points in iran foreign policy to attract other countries to make a big caolition against Iran ... so i think if the iranian governers want to use nuclear energy they must act in a way , so the countries support iran ,if they say u must not do this specific part of enrichment in your soil , so we have to accept it ,why not ? if we accept it then the US can not make that caolition force against iran . When the iranian president Mahmoud AhmadiNejad said : "Israeil must wiped off from the map " then you want the EU3 or russia use the carrot diplomacy forIran ??
rabbani
I think president Ahmadinejad is an idiot.
rabbani
I think president Ahmadinejad is an idiot in politics.
amirkpe
hmm .. i am sure that he is an idiot but i don't think that these words are his ... this is an important issue that directly relate to the leader of regime Ali Khamenei ...
skygaia
There are only two countries of U.S enemies, Iran and North Korea.
Bush anounced that they are very dangerous to U.S because they had nuclear bombs already or are going to have a nuclear bomb.

Nuclear weapons are very dangerous for everyone on earth.
But think about it. how many nuclear weapons are there in the world.
we can't count it. There are a lot of nuclear weapons in many country.

but why just Iran....

I don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons and also other countries.
However, It's impossible....
mikenice
Too many big problems here it's not even funny. A couple things to think about. Why would Iran need a nuke program? For energy? One of the richest oil countries in the world and they need a nuke program for energy? Hmmmm, skeptical about that one. A China / Iran Oil / Nuke program doesn't really sit well with me either. If what's his face in Iran wasn't making statements to the effect of "Isreal doesn't have the right to exist" maybe I would feel different about their nuclear pursuits. The fact that there is a lot of hate for a lot of different groups there doesn't sit well with me. The fact that they support terrorists doesn't sit well with me. This is one world and we all have to live here and I think that if a country wants to have a nuclear program they should first have to demonstrate their responsibility and ability to use the knowlege in a responsible fashion. Baby steps. If they want a nuke program for peaceful purposes then we or another "nuclear responsible" nation should help them get there. Nuclear technology effects the whole world and they should absolutely have to answer to the world in regards to the pursuits there of.
pefaja
i really thing they have something to hide.
it's kind of misterious. I hope we'll don't have the same situation like with Iraq Confused
class146
Ther is more than something you can see from the appearance. Under the surface, it is actually the compitition between the USA and China. If you still remember, in January, China has just signed a $4bn gas contract with Iran. How can China be left outside of the playground? Just like the case of North Korea, Iran case is just another chess between the two giants.
LostOverThere
If Iran stops nuclear work, USA should stop too.
amirkpe
Suppose that we accept US as a super power so we say it should have nuclear weapons to control other countries ... but on the other hand we have countries such as pakistan , india , Israel .. why these countries have the permission to produce nuclear weapons ?? it's a little hard for me to understand it ... I think most of people accept on this that the nuclear weapons must not use in any condition even the harsh one .. so if a country produce nuclear weapon it's goin to use it someday...
polarBear
I said it before and I will continue doing it for as long as I live. There's been only ONE country on mankind's history that not only ATTACKED a devastated country with TWO nuclear warheads, but it continues to use them to threaten every country that doesn't kneel before itself.

Why don't you go bother England, France, South Korea, India, Pakistan, RUSSIA, or China, all of them HUGE nuclear weapon holders. Or Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Brazil, all of them countries with nuclear power centrals? I mean, the problem with Iran is their nuclear arsenal right? So why don't all those other countries get even warned? May it be because of the ENORMOUS amount of petrol flowing beneath Iran? Or perhaps the fact that the petrol is mostly in russian hands and not US's?

Just wondering you know.
illini319
seeing as anyone can easily look up how to make a nuclear bomb on Google, I really can't see how any country can prevent a determined country from making weapons of mass destruction. It is an inevitability. Even if Iran were persuaded to stop making nukes, do we all really think that nuclear proliferation will stop there? Did you all forget North Korea? While I certainly don't know an answer perhaps we should consider a more progressive approach to this problem, which will not go away. Perhaps, please forgive the analogy, in much the same way as condoms are freely given to college freshmen in many universities... perhaps we need to consider how to deal with an opened Pandora's box rather than trying to close it. your thoughts?
CompactHaven
SunburnedCactus wrote:
So they are following a strictly civilian nuclear program?

So why are they refusing to negotiate? Why won't they allow snap UN inspections? What are they hiding exactly?

Sounds a bit like, IRAQ! Before they got rid of the stuff they were hiding.
r_y_e_20
Why should USA be afraid. Are they afraid of their own cause? If USA really wants world peace then please be a good example. USA just think of themselves.
xalophus
SunburnedCactus wrote:

So if someone refuses to allow a random intrusive anal probe by America, does it mean they've got something up there ?
Iraq negitiated, they allowed UN inspections. A whole world of good it did to them.

What were they hiding exactly ?

oh, I know - they had intentions of intending to do intentional harm to America.

Soulfire wrote:
The problem is we don't know Iran's intentions, they are acting suspicious, what have they got to hide? All we want to do is inspect before we condone - is that so wrong? Then again, people seem to ALWAYS find a way to turn innocent, defensive precautions around on the U.S. and say we're evil.

Let me put it back to you -
What did you know about Iraq's intentions.
Were they acting suspicious ?
What were they hiding ?
You wanted to inspect and they allowed you to - was that so wrong ?

(In short, what more could they have done to save their a**es ?)

Then again, that all seems to be a big sham.
If invading other countries (because the ghost in your head tells you to) is your idea of "innocent , defensive precautions" - no wonder the world thinks you're evil.

Do you know what happened in Iraq at all ?
Iran sure does, they're too closeby to not have learnt a lesson.

For all the "United Nations *of America*" anal probes they allowed inside themselves, Iraq sure didn't get a very good deal.

There were no WMD's found in Iraq, but that didn't stop America from invading them.
Now it's common sense that Iran's nuclear plans are not just civilian, but what good does Iran get out of trying to come out clean ?

What we've seen the last time someone did try to come out clean is not very encouraging.
daniel_l_135
Soulfire wrote:

So you're saying that, as America, we should allow a nation who has strong animosity with us to have nuclear technology.

Why should any country need the permission of the U.S? The country has shown contempt for the U.N and will only adhere to rules that it proposes.
I must have been away when you, as America, were declared the ruler of Earth. It's like the U.S president being called the "leader of the 'free world.'" I'm sure if an election were held for a leader of democratic nations, Bush would be put in his place.

I'd support any country building nuclear weapons. It seems to be the only way to keep the U.S out.
diverden
With Cheney and his warm fuzzy style of diplomacy, I think we should parachute him ( parachute is optional) over Tehran. He can make threats and statements such as "we will not allow Iran to have a nuclear weapon". That should start a lively discussion with them. Translated it means that we will use the Israelis to blow up anything they can find or use our cruise missiles, stealth bombers, or both. Perhaps he will offer to take them out for a relaxing day of bird hunting!
altec
It's not about US guys. It's always all about ISRAEL.
myonline
I favor Iran on its right of access to cheap and efficient source of energy. They should be allowed to continue enriching uranium for peaceful use. Here, the concerns of the International community can not be ignored for being genuine. The Iranians should not adopt a hard line stance and should cooperate to whatever extent they can without infringing their rights. A possibility to make weapon together with verbal threats mongering does create an environment of mistrust. The US and the UK are no ones to dictate others what to do and what not to do but the World community, including Iran itself, does have a right to try make the world a safer place for everybody. What I can not understand is why the Iranian government is still giving absurd statements as, to me, no sane person through such threats into media to make more and more enemies out of the world population. Is it another stunt like that of Sadam who used to do the same thus facilitated the US invasion?