FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FriHost's Music Genre

What's your favorite genre?
Pop
4%
 4%  [ 18 ]
Rock
34%
 34%  [ 142 ]
Metal
21%
 21%  [ 87 ]
Electronic
12%
 12%  [ 53 ]
Jazz or/and Blues
2%
 2%  [ 11 ]
Rap/Hip hop
7%
 7%  [ 29 ]
Reggae/Ska
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
Opera
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Folk
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Country
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
Punk
3%
 3%  [ 16 ]
Classical
4%
 4%  [ 17 ]
Other (define in your own post)
4%
 4%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 409

Helios
OK guys.
This sticky is yet another one to join the others.

And the topic is:

Your favorite genre!

Choose your genre by voting, and if you have something important to say about this topic - please reply.

If your genre isn't on the list, PM me.

Also, post your Last.FM profile if you have one, so that folks who like your style of music will be able to play your library or add you as a friend Wink

Note: Rock and Metal are seperated because, in my opinion, Metal has become a different genre with it's own sub-genres.
Just wanted to mention this because Metal was known to be a sub-genre of Rock.
blackheart
Rock is too broad.

I'm aware "punk" is also commonly abused as a broad genre, but it's still missing from the above list.

mayeb break it down into emo/pop-punk - because anyone who likes the simple plan/greenday/blink 182 scene is missing from the above
and/ theN OS punk or something for people who are into the Ramones/Rancid/Minor Threat/Black Flag/Anti Flag/UK Subs
Although they could go under rock, the sound of those bands is more commonly refered to said genre than rock, as rock is attributed more to bands like ac/dc/REM/eric clapton/Pink Floyd/beatles/rolling stones/jimi hendrix/ (okay, the last three are psychedelic rock, but thats just too specific)

(I'm just saying you have reggae/ska out on it's own) Very Happy
Helios
Guys, telling the world about the bands you like is just spam.
No one really cares. I'm not running around here yelling "Go Iron Maiden" or something like that.

If you have something important to say, please do.
Otherwise, just vote...
Blaster
I am a classic rock kinda person. No offese there are way to may catogories to vote for. Most people i am sure likes more then just one type of gerne.

Theres nothing like a band that has just the music and a little bit of singing like "freebird" I kinda like music that is more about the music then the words. There are no new bands that do just simple things like that. All bands now seem more for lyrics then the music.
svmania
i chose rock...i dunno why...i have always loved listening to the beatles and other classic musicians like elvis...i guess they started the whole rock and roll thing...but when i started growing up i started listening to hip-hop/rap...especially to eminem...but now i got my electric guitar just yesterday i think im going to be going back to what i was born listening tooo...rock and roll...not heavy metal rock but just rock and roll...i dunno if that made sense but yeh...

i have this vision in my head that one day i will be able to play all the beatles songs and hopefully all elvis songs too...some of you might say thats easy...but im a beginner...and rock and roll is in my heart now...
LA Ridge
I see that rock is popular on the genre vote. Truth be known, rock is the most divided genre of them all. Nobody just calls it Rock and Roll anymore. It's poop-rock, dick rock, sick rock, chick rock, pre post past rock, past assed rock, and list goes on and on. No one wants to just be a plain old rocker anymore... lol
Juparis
For the most part, I guess I listen to metal, but not just for some head-banging. It seems to be a dying practice, but I pay just as much attention to the lyrics as I do the music itself.
Lately I've been listening to post-rock to relax, and also "avant guarde" according to someone else, but I'm not entirely sure what that would be defined as...

One of the things I dislike most is the crap played on MTV. For the few minutes that they do play music, it's never anything more than the most popular bands, with the popular songs at the time. Never are the smaller bands appreciated, nor are any of the less-popular genres explored. And now, of course, all the preps in the younger generation do nothing but follow the ideas and opinions of those on MTV, perpetuating the endless cycle..
HDirtwater
There is opera listed but not classical. I don't mind opera but I listen to mostly classical music. Classic rock (the good stuff from the 60-80s) is also something I listen to. I don't enjoy very much of what is put out there today in terms of rock. I suppose Pearl Jam is my favorite current band. It's just so hard to like a lot of what is on the radio right now.
Helios
Classic Rock isn't classical music, my friend. Laughing

Anyway, i've added the classical genre(Bach, Beethoven etc..).
angelussum
This is a hard one - I would have to say I like rock the most, I think. Still, it's so difficult to categorize music sometimes - especially when you like a bit of everything.
zjosie729
I often feel both annoyed and embarrased when I tell a class of people that I like classical music.

No one around, except for two of my best friends, like classical music, I don't know why.

I also like Country and folk but they're not as good as classical.
BlacKRoSeS
I mostly listen to Rock, sometimes Heavy Metal, sometimes Pop, but it all comes back to Rock in time.
g_unit90
forever rap
Grifff
Well, my taste varies a bit - what would be an appropriate mark to put on the short period between 1780-1795? Mozart and Haydn wrote the most fantastic music in that time, and it obviously had a drastic effect on everyone around them.

The problem is, that the music went wrong from then on. After the death of Beethoven and Schubert mainstream music took the completely wrong turn, and here we are today.

Somone has to take up the line of Mozart's son Franz Xaver and lead the field - I volunteer.

Smile
Thatguy
My favorite would probably be under rock. I listen to lots of genres, though. I'm a fan of some ska, progressive, metal, punk, and some hardcore.
ninjakannon
Heavy Metal, Power Metal, Death Metal, Metal, Rock

But not too heavy for too long Exclamation Razz
tony
wow - i am surprised electronic is third. i am a big electronic fan but did not realize it was that popular.
ninjakannon
tony wrote:
wow - i am surprised electronic is third. i am a big electronic fan but did not realize it was that popular.

I'm suprised too. You actually learn something from posting on this site, if it is only to find that electronic is popular Razz
skullflower
I voted rock, I'm thinking Hardcore would be under that. Wink I listen to Hardcore, screamo, some acoustic, and a little bit of techno. Tee hee, nintendo hardcore is hilarious.

Arrow
hazaramat
I agree with the person mentionning rock sub-genres problem. I would even add: what about cross-genre music? I listen to improvisation music. is it rock? punk? classical contemporain? oh gosh. still the sticky problem of genre... I guess talking about "indie" for independant music is a way to avoid the problem. but not so satisfying. ok let's give up genres! or not, for it allows us, by mentioning "rock", to keep away "Pop".
Tatsumaru
Metal. And especially Power, Folk and Melodic-death metal. I like some progressive as well.

So yeah metal gets my vote Laughing
ninjakannon
Tatsumaru wrote:
Metal. And especially Power, Folk and Melodic-death metal. I like some progressive as well.

So yeah metal gets my vote Laughing

Yeah! Another metal fan Very Happy Metal's great Razz
bulek
Dance music all the way Smile
tydzjing
i chose rock
Biter
i voted for Jazz/Blues.
cheh
well my favourite kind of music is electronica, i've been listening to it over 11 years (half of my life Razz ) and i'm kinda addicted to it, so i really can't imagine my life without it.
but i'm very open to all kinds of music really! i really like rock, metal, classic, slovenian folk... Razz anything that's done with heart!
what i hate is (and please don't flame me for that, it's just MY taste) is any kind of pop music and rap. no idea why, but that stuff just annoys me Confused

but i believe all music is good, and if you don't like sth it's just because you don't understand it.
oais
It's pretty difficult to identify music genre these days, I'm pretty confused about it. Some new upcoming bands are also confused about where to place they're music in the genre list so they just compare they're music with other songs and if there is any similarity, they either place it in that genre or make a sub genre to identify they're music as unique. I've stopped caring about genres now, the list\tree goes on and on.
mceejaydee
I freakin love rap!!! It's practically the music I listen to always.
floyd7rose
Metal mostly for me, That takes serious skill. I've always been a tricky person, so on guitar, metal all the way.

Jazz and classical is also a fav.
bimbel
Definitely Rock for me Smile But Classic is also very good!
Drodr
I like Rap/Hiphop, i got a music website too, but thats in Dutch Razz
Em_de_Tech
Techno should be on that list... I guess that it falls under electronica but its kinda different. I always thought that Techno was like the most unpopular but according to this poll, i'm wrong!! Where i live right now, Ska/Reggee is like the most popular genre of music. So these poll results dont really match my place... Very Happy
SimonWSTS
I've noticed rock is the most popular vote. The problem with this is that nowadays there is so much variety covered by this rather vague music genre that it is still impossible to tell what the most popular style is.

Obviously it would be difficult to subdivide rock as a category but the result is still not conclusive.
standready
I like rock, metal, classical, pop, etc just depends on my mood at the moment.
Jakob [JaWGames]
I voted on metal. I do especially like powermetal with bands like sonata arctica and nightwish.
halflife28
Add Motown/R&B in there. You can't forget that.
Wahwah Man
I keep going back in time for the good stuff and i find that Classic Rock and Jazz are the only things for me
Commando_Sondre
Mostly I like pop and 80's Razz But it the same shit what I hear, as long as it ain't metall etc!
idiotsoft
Definitely Rock for me , especialy Rock Ballads. I also like Soul Music
ThornsOfSorrow
I listen to metal and rock, specifically power metal, progressive metal, and progressive rock. So in general, I'm a complete progsnob.
turbohead
I like many kinds of music. But the best one is rock.
Twynk
ROCK ALL THE WAY!!

Razz Rock is da best.It is best loud, in your car or on your computer(with GOOD sound system only) Razz

ROCK WILL WIN ALL THE WAY IS THE BEST NOW AND WILL BE

FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ozzy
Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Progressive Metal, Folk Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Grindcore.

Progressive Rock & Jazz, some 80's pop and rap.
tenoranin
I don't listen to one kinda of Genre, I listen to what ever clicks in my head..
If you could only see my playlist.. Its a mix of Mayrlin Manson, Kelly Clarkson & Bone Thugs & Harmony
vivaprint
Absolutely ROCK...

I love ROCK..... but TECHNO is also not bad Very Happy
evandb
Classical!
Arctos
So J-music all kinds without reagee and orchestras.
Rock and polish hip-hop.
Revel
i like metal and punk
Tulkamir
Metal of course. Smile

Pleasantly surprised to see it so high up there.
saeleyjnr
Eletro-rock-synth is where its at!

Kraftwerk
Neu!
Faust
Devo
Human League
The Knife
Le Tigre
Trans Am..

best genre ever
LordHateSphere
I voted metal, but yeah as many said before, the styles are to wide... METAL should be devided in like idk 10 different styles :p atleast anyway

i like Power, Speed, NWOBHMl ( new wave of brittish heavy metal : IRON MAIDEN etc :p) but i also like Death, Black,...

I'm atm listening alot to LORDI, they're pretty soft and stuff, but they got cool music and lyrics :p
onemoment
There are so many genres and sub-genres out there, its impossible to list them all
kemosabi107
Eff genre's man, you can't categorize me! ..jk
arkebuzer
I voted metal. Smile

I´m quite supriced metal and rock are in "the lead", my guess would have been pop and rap. Considering what they play on MTV and the radio (most channels) I would have thought pop and rap was more popular.

Now I got to search the forums even more, to see where people come from, since I have a vague memmory that metal is a lot more common in europe than the rest of the world. (dont take that as a fact... it´s just a vague memmory)

Regards
seeapoko
Its hard to say what a persons favorite genre is. It might change on the mood, and Rock is too general. I enjoy rock, but Hip hop / rock bands are the best. (A bad explination of Rage Against The Machines style of play)
So, most music is god music, it just depends on the atmosphere of the occasion.
djlutzker
i love electronic music, progressive house, im a dj!! Very Happy
Cephalic_Carnage
My favorite genre of all time is Metal. I used to listen to whatever, but a few years ago, metal started appealing to me. It was just the anger and rage you got from it and not the other gere's. And then one day, it just wasn't good enough becuse I wanted even ore extreme music, and I was listening to stuff like Slipknot, Mushroomhead, Metallica, and Korn at the time. Then my mind was open to te sub-genre Death Metal. It was like it ws meant for me, the lyrics were even more extreme then ever, and the guitars were far more brutal then their Nu metal counter-parts. i just hate how people will say "You can't understand a word they are saying". Which is true at times, but you need to listen to it longer then 2 seconds.
welshsteve
Metal all the way for me. Favourites include Metallica, Megadeth, Annihilator, Trivium, Guns 'n' Roses, AC/DC, Machine Head.
Alias
I really prefer Rock music as my music genre. I like the way those guitars and drums being played. When they combined the music rhythm and bit is really amazing. It makes my head bang! Very Happy
TheGeek
All types of electronic music for me...Techno, DNB, ect...
Vladalf
Jazz is my favourite genre, I allways listen to Jazz Servers on Winamp and Yahoo. I also like rap, but they're speaking about the same things in every song and.... I hate that Razz
TheMasterCheaif
Mine woud have to be Rock.I've listend to it since I was little and, I still listen to it. I wish I woud of seen this pole eariller,but I guess I did not. I love this board and I keep finding it better and, better every day. Very Happy

†TheMasterCheif†
catscratches
There's only one kind of music that I listen to. METAL!!! Staind, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Naglfar and Finntroll. That's the shit!
hello777
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!??!?!?!

how cum u didnt put R&B into the list!?!!?!?!?!??!??

thats wat i lik most

some R&B songs------

so sick
i m in love wid a stripper
i m sprung
sos
a girl like me
my way
unfaithful

add r n b plz!!!!!

cheerio!
Artelis
Rock is definetly covers the most ground. Sooo many sub-genres of rock. Electronic covers quite a bit as well, but not quite as much, I'd say.
love2infekt
I do not really have a favorite "genre" of music really but I like most anything that is not in the Country or Rap genre.
MyCraft
my choose is electronic, idm, ambient, dnb, trip-hop, hardcore, emo, ebm, etc...
coozy
Metal is my favourite genre, Metallica, Manowar, Children Of Bodom....
Alkmania
No wonder why rock is on top, somebody who likes rock can have a total different taste than another person who likes rock. Rock you can define as more that one genre, it's not even a genre, more like a collection of genres. A stream perhaps...

I voted for rock though, def. for it's attitude. It's not so soft as pop but still softer than punk. I'm a fan of the peppers and the rolling stones. Classic rock is also very good, as well as the new bands coming up like The Killers, All-American Rejects etc etc...

Have Music in your life!
penaltykillah
I would appreciate if Reggae and Ska weren't together, as they are two completely different genres. Heck, that means Gwen Stefani and No Doubt would do Reggae! But Gwen is so genre-bending, she can even be in the Aviator and rap with Pharrell! I bet Madonna is a bit pissed that she can only limit herself to Pop, while Gwen Stefani can go punk and rock on, or she can drop some pop-ish tunes and score a hit to the teen girls. Or even collaborations with Moby AND Eve. That's how diverse she is. On Love.Angel.Music.Baby, she had that Old Gothic/Inspired by Fairy Tales/Harajuku/Urban/Orange County/Punk/Ska style in her fashion and music that really garnered fans around the globe. I mean, there isn't a spot she missed. Other artists can only limit themselves to one genre or theme, like Ashlee Simpson. You're not going to hear her in a rap song, or some crunk. She is going to sing those teen bubblegum songs about break-up and anything from Laguna Beach. No wonder Rock is so admired by all those web surfers. It is the most passionate genre, and the rawest. Wait a minute, Metal is rawer.
mialynavahy
i love jazz and blues, it makes you feel better even if you had a very bad journey
i listen to all sort of music but i prefer music like lullabies...slow, one of the great joy in life is listening to a jazz/soul music (norah jones or katie melua) and looking at the rain falling
mistuh griddlez
Electronics where it's at yo...I love electronic but I also love any kind of pop rock type of thing...(i personally dislike rap...)
Blu_Spykz
Alternative Rock is my favourite.

Not necessarily "Metal" - just many Alt. Rockers have a nice clean sound - and sounds decent loud too.
conspiranoia
I think that for a good health you must listen to every kind of music, personally i enjoy a lot listening to pop music when i'm on internet, rock when i go to the university and electronic when i'm on party.

Then there are special occasions for listening to Jazz, Blues, Country, Flamenco or other root's music.

But All the styles are good in their special moment.
Dr Carruthers
I voted Rock, even though I listen to music without paying any attention to genres. I listen to a great deal of electronic/experimental stuff too, not too mention pop... I like good music, that's my only term for classification.
divinitywolf
metal all the way for me although i do like classical music with piano in it because i like piano music as well but what i love best is metal music with piano in. Its great!
Seiji
I'm between Rock and HipHop. I guess I could say that I like rapcore. All my favorite artists do both rock and rap and sometimes ballads.
Antoine_935
I chose folk, because there's nothing as beautiful as some arpeggio or guitar chords with an acoustic guitar. That's (for me) the true music. I don't believe in all these electronic instruments because they have no heart. I know it seems crazy, but... don't play your acoustic instrument for a while... he will change sound. a digital keybord will never do it. The same way, acoustic instruments are getting what we could call "artist's signature": more you play it, more hey change sound, and more you love the sound it produces. An electronic instrument will never do the same.
hannesfuger
rythm is all!
ayvee
Wow, lots of metalheads here, eh? Very Happy Where I live, people more or less think of me as a weird devil-worshipper(doesn't help that I'm a really vocal relativistic atheist Very Happy)

Metal pwns all!
war-of-tribes
I wanted to vote for Punk AND Metal Sad
But i voted for Punk, because I'm listening to the "Ärzte" Very Happy
mattyj
wow so few votes for punk, that sux Sad

I love punk, but imalso a rock and metal fan
BlockUp
How come Reggae and Ska only have 1% of votes? I don't understand! It's the best music out there! And jazz and blues, I love those genres! But I think Rock deserves the top number of votes.
vandame
I love progressive house music, progressive eletro music and psytrance....I really love this....
MOVE YOUR BODY !!! LoL Laughing
SpellcasterDX
I chose Rock, cause Alternative Rock, the main genre I listen to, belongs to that group. Razz
Heart Ticket
Helios wrote:
OK guys.
This sticky is yet another one to join the others.

And the topic is:

Your favorite genre!

Choose your genre by voting, and if you have something important to say about this topic - please reply.

If your genre isn't on the list, PM me.

Otherwise, don't reply(your post will be removed, just to keep the thread clean Smile )

Note: Rock and Metal are seperated because, in my opinion, Metal has become a different genre with it's own sub-genres.
Just wanted to mention this because Metal was known to be a sub-genre of Rock.

I got to say Rock & Metal are my favourite and its true that there diffrent genres. My reason for liking Rock/Metal is because Singing/Shouting takes a lot more skill then Raping (Bare in mind there are no instruments in the background to Rap). Many people think that Shouting isn't hard but if you really think about it could you shout for hours non stop (Like at a gig) and could you keep that one tone? it takes alot more skill than most people think. Thats all i got Razz

James
Infinity-al
Absolutely rock is my favourite genre!! Cool

Its simply great Cool ...

My favourite rock band is yellowcard Exclamation ....
VG Wyvern
I like classical music a lot. I also like videogame music. Kind of a weird genre to like but you'd be surprised how many others do too.
I actually transcribe the stuff to sheet music so people can play it on their piano.
Speaking of which, I also like piano music. Smile
oleszka
I like Rock. Last time I am listening to Folk (especially Irish/Celtic folk). very like when rock + folk = mixed genre
Raydon
mceejaydee wrote:
I freakin love rap!!! It's practically the music I listen to always.

Same here Very Happy
Rap is the only thing that can rock tha party at anytime, and I love the dancing style. I prefer Gangster Rap and some of Hip-Hop General.
pirki
For me it is Metal. I listen to Metalband since about eight years, when i was twelve :D

I like Rock too, but not that much :D
iNs@nE
death metal
silviayguga
I love Rap/HipHop/Ragga/Reggae, I´m Spanish, but I listen national and International artist. The best is Bob Marley and his son: Damian Jr Gong Marley
YushuaMalik
I personally like Eastern Folk music of any kind. I have also had a liking of Arabic nasheeds lately.
votd
What do I like? Well, my favourite genres are mostly:

Rock, Hard Rock, Hardcore, Metal and some other serious things. I'm not opposing to having some classics, or serious tones. Sometimes I like pop, but only a few songs. I'm not opposing into reggae, but I hate hip-hop and rap (especially when it's stupid - but I do like some songs in that genre).

And techno - I hate this shit!
xXWhiteShadowXx
I personally Like everything but mostly Rap and Hip-Hop. Eninem and Snoop Dog are a couple of my favorites. Don't ask me why I like em' cause personally I don't know. Other than Rap/Hip-hop I like Rock.
jelen
i vote electronic

go go go electronic Very Happy
j_f_k
Don;t know what Genre you'd call it comedy I suppose - but Weird al and 12th Man
emem
I voted for rock... but it really depends on my felings, mood etc.
H4x3D
I'm a Rap kinda person myself actually.
Kamo
I have picked electronic as i'm listenig to electronic music only. Ususally hardtechno ( don't mix with hardtrance/trance crap) and sometimes ambient to cool me down.
typingphenom2007
I love listening to classical music. Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata to Tchiachovsky, I will listen to it all. Classical music helps me to keep my head clear. I love R&B music as well like Robin Thicke and Joss Stone as well.
KnowingGuy
Not surprised at the votes.

I'm a big rap person, but I listen to almost everything,besides Country. No offense but I just can't stand the genre of Country.
Ankhanu
Went with "other" as a lot of what I love best is "indie" and a mixture of rock, pop, folk and country influences.
pudovkin
Ambient music, downtempo. Wink
Paulo_baga
I'm like Pop And Rap , The best SONGS !!!!!!!!!!!
smartpandian
I love all... but depends on the mood
UtanCecilie
I am the typical in the middle person.

I listen to easy songs, well made and produced, and no matter where I stand or what I listen to, I usually get labelled as a person who listens to crap music because it is not "real" enough, or if I am unlucky it is "too commercial".
Shocked

Otherwise I like to dance, so anything that is well made and easy to listen to will get my ass shaking in no time!
jtayl153
I love Rock

The Offspring

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers

The Levellers

Fall Out Boy

Love it
Mgmartin
I chose "Other"

I like most of the genres in the list but the one I like the most is Hardstyle. After that is rock..
zeitgeistsa
I voted Rock, but that is a very broad category.
I like music from all the genres, except electronic!

For years my favorite was bands such as Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath
But at the moment my favorite band is Demon Hunter
They are a band which is not that well known but they are gaining a good following.

Funny thing is I grew up on Elvis - still love Elvis, even if most of the young crowd consider him a joke now - then I discovered Led Zeppelin, my favorite band of all time!
futureal123
Any where from Iron maiden and Judas preist to Genesis and The stones!

But I picked metal because Maiden>alllllll music. In my opinion Very Happy
smspno
I have picked "Rock" but my musical preferences contain variety of genres, for instance pop, reggae, metal, punk, jazz, blues. Making such kind of poll is, I think, quite pointless.
TheBeast
I picked rock because it's my favourite genre and I hate pop music...
frenklino
Fans music - hooligans and other (pitbullfarm, the business, ... )
soulery
I like Pop mostly. A little rock too.
jerredk
I lissen to rock and alternative. That are my favorite gernes.
Flarkis
German heavy metal all the way!!!
gandalfthegrey
What.... no New Age fans here? Cool
supjapscrapper
blackheart wrote:
Rock is too broad.

I'm aware "punk" is also commonly abused as a broad genre, but it's still missing from the above list.

mayeb break it down into emo/pop-punk - because anyone who likes the simple plan/greenday/blink 182 scene is missing from the above
and/ theN OS punk or something for people who are into the Ramones/Rancid/Minor Threat/Black Flag/Anti Flag/UK Subs
Although they could go under rock, the sound of those bands is more commonly refered to said genre than rock, as rock is attributed more to bands like ac/dc/REM/eric clapton/Pink Floyd/beatles/rolling stones/jimi hendrix/ (okay, the last three are psychedelic rock, but thats just too specific)

(I'm just saying you have reggae/ska out on it's own) Very Happy

I guess we have a punk specialist here, the absolute fan. But I agree too about this, Rock is too broad, if you take all the sub-genres there is in Rock, you would have a list of at least 30 Sub-genres. But for the poll it doesn't make sense to break this up to more than 2 o3 sub-genres, the most known. because the use of the poll is having an idea of what frihost users hear for music. For this purpose all that is interesting is to be able to correctly define music styles in a way that they are equivalent. Having Rap/Hip-Hop, Metal and Rock is necessary because they are "equivalent". People consider these as completely different genres and not sub-genres of others. Emo and Rap are not equivalent, because I would say that emo belongs to punk.
roninmedia
I like pop music. At the moment, I'm listening to many Asian pop artists, especially some of the pop music that appears in anime.
[FuN]goku
Mostly anything along the lines of.... emo, screamo, alternative rock, punk, death metal, melodic metal, black metal.

The first 4 genres, i like those because, the lyrics in the songs are usually something i can relate to.
As for the rest of them, well Melodic Metal, i really love the guitar in this type of metal, to be specific i like Children of Bodom , they're a perfect example of guitar that i like, plus they're vocals are amazing as well.

Black Metal, well this is tough i dont know why i like it.. i just do, Some of it can be rather calm, then just sound kind of angry all of a sudden, i suppose Satyricon is a good example of that.

Death Metal, well what else am i gonna like this for? Moshing of course Razz i love going to a show with my friends and just jumping in the pit.
Gushe
Dance/Elektro

Goose, Daft Punk, Bloc Party, Teenage Bad Girl,.. Everything they play at a good party. x)
Zuex
I personally prefer Grime
Ankhanu
gandalfthegrey wrote:
What.... no New Age fans here? Cool

Ya mean New Age as in "culty" "paganish" stuff (Ie. I suppose you could pop Enya, Dead Can Dance, etc here)... or did you mean New Wave, as in the stuff derived from punk and electronic (ie. Talking Heads, Soft Cell, etc)
Libby
up da PUNXXXXXX
adri
Gushe wrote:
Dance/Elektro

Goose, Daft Punk, Bloc Party, Teenage Bad Girl,.. Everything they play at a good party. x)

Totally Agree accept the teenage bad girl...
Futumuch
Am i geting old or is there not much good music about these days? Where are all the big rock bands to match the likes of Led Zepplin, ACDC (I know they are still about), Guns and Roses, Deep Purple ect? For a fleting moment, I thought the Darkness were going to do it until they self destructed. Anyway - to answer the question - I like Rock music as you may have guessed.
Libby
Futumuch wrote:
Am i geting old or is there not much good music about these days?

You're getting old. The second you ask that question you mentally turn into the 70 year old codger across the street yelling, "hey you kids turn that crap down!" Lame!

Not saying that anything on the radio is good but the whole wide internet is at your fingertips and you can't find anything good? But then your trying to find a "big" rock band that's actually decent. lol
Vitalist
Metal but I listen to regullar rock and punk rock too.
bulek
Mostly house, but I like other electronic styles as well.
DizzyDesign
In general I like Rap/Hip hop. But I listen electronic and rock music to.

-Demon
xtranophilist
Metal, Rock, Punk.
vicar013
Rock schmok, why you all choose rock?? makes me think spandex and bad hair dos.

I chose Other.... and I nominate "Digital Hardcore". LastFM that MF and pick whatever... or I could do it for you... http://www.last.fm/tag/digital%20hardcore.
All sounds are my favourite, but ones that defy genre are the most exciting to my senses.
Helios
vicar013's post gave me an idea.

Why don't we post our Last.FM profiles (if you have one), so that others who appreciate the same style of music will be able to share libraries etc.

Here's mine: http://www.last.fm/user/JVHelios
Not using it a lot, only when searching for new stuff. You can play my library however, if you like this type of noise Razz
bes4360
I'm definatley more into Pop music. I listen to Kids Bop 14 all the time and I love listening to singers like Rihanna.
nfneon
I am in love with Rock music. All of it - Hard rock, Pop rock and so on. It is just the best for me.

But when I am angry or mad at something/someone I love metal. And I usualy make music loud enough that all neighbours know what's wrong Wink
metalprincess666
I like Metal music

Black, Death, Extreme, Trash, Brutal... Very Happy
officernarc
i voted "other" because other than my band, i haven't really been listening to that much other than ambient noise.
daefommicc
METAL: extreme forms... thrash, black, death. Slayer rules so does pantera and borgir.
bananamuffin3
Deathcore!
retro-tracker
i like hardstyle and jumpstyle...please give me some song plz!!!
robsonwendel
adoro britney spers
Moshkin_Khan
I dont know anymore to be honest, The bands I like have been defined as so many things, I'll just go with a rock pop kind of mix or something.
paskifire
Metal! Twisted Evil but i also listen to neo classical.. petrucci's, malmsteen's, vai's.. they're all amazing musicians.
stel4e
Actually I listen lots of music... and really from all genres.... but if I have to be more descriptive I listen alternative rock, sometimes nu metal, JAZZ, but most of all !!!!! ELECTRONIC MUSIC
sciencegto
I just choose rock because I always listen to Muse UK band.
facebookturkey
rock of course but heavy m is also good
stel4e
Hehehe Electronic Music has good percentage Wink

PS. I listen electronic and rock mainly Wink
paskifire
In Flames we trust Very Happy
siren123
I like all genres but my favorite genre would have to be punk, rock, or hard rock Very Happy
xXDestinyxX
My favorite well it would be between Pop, Rock and Techno!

I really can't decide between them three...
Itachi69
Eh,my favorite genre of music would have to be Rock.

I'm not too big on any other kind of music,but I'm a huge rock fan.
EximiusNero
I loooooooooooove electronic. It's the music I make and the music that inspires me to make my music! Very Happy
ratanegra
Hey, it's really cool! Metal has a high %... not so much as Rock but it's really cool...

By the way, I had a Last.FM profile but it started to cost real money to play the radio out of USA and UK... And I am in South America! I'm 16 so I can't pay without credit card.. So now I don't have Last.FM profile..

By the way, that Image of Bathory is really cool, very original xD

And you are right when separating Metal from Rock, I think the same as you...

Bye!
Ryox
i like all sorts of music, not just country.

I like Techno, Wave, Dance, Jazz, Rock N Roll, (Some rap depends on who sings it), and others.
catscratches
I listen to everything from post-rock to death metal to folk to noise.
deanhills
It depends on my mood. Mostly I like hard rock, but I go through jazz moods as well, but the "rock version" of it, such as Gary Moore's, who coincidentally started with hard rock and ventured into jazz. I like some of the choruses in opera, particularly by Mozart and Bach, as well as Bach Preludes and Fugues on the Piano when I am in the mood. Think the only music that I am not really partial to is country music and rock and roll.
akhil26
I like romantic. But sometimer rock
cemycc
Wow so much ppl listen rock Smile

I like pop and clasic music .
kagukaevud
Obviously my favourite genres are electro and trance Smile
alugueldelanchaangra
written in Portuguese. sorry
alugueldelanchaangra
Rock is the best but also like reggae, mpb, samba, and others
_AVG_
Rock and Metal!! I wish I could vote twice.

Anyway, it doesn't matter as Rock seems to be far ahead at the moment ...

I really like Metal and enjoy the energy, pace and dark tones (don't get me wrong - I am not a Satanist) . I also enjoy Rock, Soft Rock, Progressive Rock and even Classical Music (Mozart is fantastic). If there is any genre of music I actually dislike, it has got to be the Hip Hop and Rap nonsense that seems to be gaining popularity nowadays.

I didn't mean to offend anyone - its just my opinion.
rocking
I voted Metal.
But I although listen punk rock or just rock.
cybersa
My vote for POP.
Radar
Once upon a time I would have said rock, or punk. At the moment, I think I'd say indie. Really, it's just a matter of listening to various bands and then finding out that they're of a similar genre.
Vanilla
My favorite genre is not there so I voted Pop. I love Trance, it makes me feel really good. There's no genre that I dislike, in fact I like most of genres. I like rock (I'm a HUGE FAN of Queen), I like ska (No Doubt!) and I also love Opera and Classical Music (Tchaikovsky is my favorite composer, I love his romantic pieces). But I voted Pop because I can't imagine the world without good Pop music. I love Michael Jackson and I love the way he influenced music (not only Pop, but every genre out there!) and I love how other artists still try to occupy his place. Well, they can keep trying haha!
Blummer
It's quite hard for me to choose. On one hand it is some genres of rock. On the other, I adore jazz as well and classical music. Chose rock.
fuzzkaizer
my favorite music genre: instrumental surf
nextime
my favorite music punk
\n/
Chellesei
My favorite genres are pop and rock. Smile
I can't choose between the two so I did not vote for any. Laughing
Radar
Not sure if I have one, but I think it says something that I was looking for 'indie' in the list.
cnitolo
Rock!!!!!!!!!!
lightningleo
My favorite band is Hollywood Undead.. which is a rap-rock band.. listen to this..

and my single Favorite artist is FloRida.. who is Hip-Hop/Rap singer.. listen to this./...

and..

these are three of my favorite songs..
memno
I really like Japanese Noise.

I think of it more as anti-music, as calling it noise is misleading as no one likes to listen
to noise, as it might be annoying. Noise to me is top 40, when listening to it causes
tension, rage and negativity. That said, I don't like most people's noise, just mostly
Japan's stuff (Incapacitants, Masonna, Gerogerigegege, Boredoms/EYE/Hanatarashi) and my own recordings.
(Fist, ryr, karoon)

mablettnelson
Indie for sure
johannespilz
indie rock / electronic (tech house, techno, minimal)
Radar
It varies. Right now, it's probably indie.
Tuvitor
I gotta go with rock. I love a lot of punk, but I consider that a subgenre of Rock, even one of the purest ones...
singaporechristian
Metal rocks... love to chill to Jazz..
bogisha
Nice to see that Rock/Metal dominate this forum Very Happy
ScriptHunter
Wow so many people that like rock,

Well i do too but i didn't expect it to be so many

but lately i've been listening to Capital Steez, Joey Badass,
The Underachievers, Flathbush Zombies, DIzzy Wright.

pz
spinout
rock and country and some metal and... well mostly that.
Blaster
Blaster wrote:
I am a classic rock kinda person. No offese there are way to may catogories to vote for. Most people i am sure likes more then just one type of gerne.

Theres nothing like a band that has just the music and a little bit of singing like "freebird" I kinda like music that is more about the music then the words. There are no new bands that do just simple things like that. All bands now seem more for lyrics then the music.

Funny how a few years can change things for you. Now i'm more about listening to country music. Although I do still like classic rock.