FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blue-Ray or HD-DVD?

HD-DVD or Blue-Ray?
Blue-Ray
71%
 71%  [ 28 ]
HD-DVD
28%
 28%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 39

Xeniczone
The next gen is almost here with high definition tvs and dvds.

When you go out to buy your next-gen HD player will you get a:
Sony Blue-Ray or
Toshiba HD-DVD

Currently Blue-Ray has the fallowing companies interested in it Sony, Pioneer, Dell, Apple, Disney, and Fox.

Sony Blue-Ray: Single sided 27 GB
Toshiba HD-DVD: Single sided 15 GB

Me myself I'm going with blue-ray for 2 reasons.
Apple wants it. I'm a mac user and apple is supporting the blue-ray deal so I will support apple.
Playstation3 will use it. I been saving my pennies to get the ps3 ever seens I got my ps2. And it will be the first system to feature a next-gen hd cd player.
Animal
Technically, Blu-Ray is the more advanced format because it (theoretically) fits more data per disk. However, storage capacity ain't all:

HD-DVD disks can be created by modifying existing media creation equipment rather than building entirely new manufacturing gear. It also has more companies behind it.

In terms of DRM, it's been widely reported that the Copy Protection system on Blu-Ray is very restrictive and even Bill Gates has said it's gone "too far" and is anti-consumer.

I wish they'd just all agree on one format, I'm not really bothered which. Another format war is NOT what we all need!
Xeniczone
Quote:
In terms of DRM, it's been widely reported that the Copy Protection system on Blu-Ray is very restrictive and even Bill Gates has said it's gone "too far" and is anti-consumer.

I wouldn't listen to anything bill gates says he even leaves he os widly open to hacks and stuff you wonder why every month you have to update you pc with 50 new security patches. I think he trys to make it easy to connect with little sucurity
XeRo
I think blue ray will be the next generation data storage disk, because of the Sony influences on the market and the trust of the people on the brand, also the release of the new Play station 3 in the market will influence the market in a positive aspect to Sony because of the tons of people that the console move around the world.

By the other side Toshiba is an important laptop maker, the option of a laptop with an hd-dvd will make think more than one person to choose the Toshiba laptop alternative instead of the expensive Sony vaio computers.
Xeniczone
Quote:
By the other side Toshiba is an important laptop maker, the option of a laptop with an hd-dvd will make think more than one person to choose the Toshiba laptop alternative instead of the expensive Sony vaio computers.

toshiba laptop prices aren't much better Razz
XeRo
they're cheapers than a vaio one
Jaiye
I'd put my bet on HD-DVD ultimately taking the lead.
taricorp
I agree with Jaiye. Blu-ray just seems too restrictive, especially with not being backward-compatible. Also on that note, blu-ray is also so obscenely expensive. Estimated prices for the first blu-ray DVD player were about $1000. What with the PS3s estimated retail price of $500, Sony is losing about 600$ on every one they sell. So, then, everyone needs to buy 12 games for Sony just to break even.
garionw
I dont like anything of sony. I am a gamecube / windows 200 user and most of my theater stuff is panasonic so I am going to be a HD-DVD person
jiten
Animal wrote:
Technically, Blu-Ray is the more advanced format because it (theoretically) fits more data per disk. However, storage capacity ain't all:

HD-DVD disks can be created by modifying existing media creation equipment rather than building entirely new manufacturing gear. It also has more companies behind it.

I wish they'd just all agree on one format, I'm not really bothered which. Another format war is NOT what we all need!

Blue Ray is a general term for the next-gen optical disc technology for storing high-definition video. It's the newest technology for DVD players and can store 5 times the capacity of the current standard DVD. The new format using a blue-violet laser with a wave length of 405nm compared to the current disks which use wave lengths of 650 nm.

The reason the Sony Playstation 3 was delayed compared to the xbox 360, is because Sony is planning on releasing the new Playstation with the Blu-Ray technology in it.
XeRo
I think really Blue-Ray Will take the advantage..
thiamshui
Definitely blu-ray.. blu-ray can fit more data cos of smaller wavelength i tink.. or mayb it's not.. it makes smaller, even more microscopic 'pits' in the cds as the 'blue-ray' is 'thinner' than the current ray cd drives are using, therefore can record more stuff on a single surface.. it has already been developed if i'm not wrong, except it has not been released yet, mayb still under testing..
ForceRun
Blue-Ray just sounds cooler. the media guys need to stop fighting and get one standard going. They are taking way to long. I just way to get some HD movies for my HD TV come on.
AdamantMonk
Betamax is like Blu-Ray... two words

VHS is like HD-DVD... letters instead

I think people feel more comfortable with letters intead of words... look at X-box (word) vs PS2 (letters)

Wait.
psycosquirrel
I voted Blu-Ray because I know more about it...
maxi2k6
It's funny how people tend to forget the lessons learned. It's Beta vs VHS all over again. If they don't get their act straight, DVD is gonna pwn them both. People won't spend a fortune buying all the movies they already have in dvd only to find that the format they chose is not gonna make it.
the average joe will just wait and see who comes out on top before spending big bucks on either.... that's just good news for DVD.

One thing that could save blu ray is if sony sells a shitload of PS3s with built in drives
Kd527
I would go with Blu-Ray. One big reason is, like someone mentioned above, I'm a Mac user and big Apple fan and they are going with it. It also seems like the better one based on capacity and technology.
Xeniczone
Quote:
I think people feel more comfortable with letters intead of words... look at X-box (word) vs PS2 (letters)

Wait.

This is not entirely true. Playstation was always a choose above all the other systems. It never got it's shorten name until after the playstation 2 was released. Plus playstation 2 was released first. More people would have hurd that Sony was making another system way before microsoft was going to make a system.
As it was said in the video made by sonic to talk about the playstation 3.
Quote:
In 1996 Playstation hit the world with a force rarly seen.
Playstation was a hit before the short version of the name was made.
Example:
Sony Playstation known as Playstation(sold the most)
Nintendo 64 known as N64 (sold the second most)
Sega Saturn known as "the Saturn" (sold the least Sad )

If your theory was correct the n64 should have out sold the ps1.

I think blue ray will out sell HD-DVD for the fact more people know sony. More people trust sony. More people know the quality of sony.

The advantages that sony have over toshiba is:
Sony makes a game system that will help support it's product- Toshiba doesn't

Sony has more high end companys such as apple on there side. Toshiba only has a few. (I think microsoft is one of them)

But there is a conflict. Bill Gates honers macintosh. He loves it so much he accually copys it's stuff into his operating system. He even said something about them in his speech when windows xp I think it was came out. He said something like There is only one computer company out thier that really makes some ...( He said something like speical I can't remember) that company is the Apple Macintosh.

If apple really does go blue ray then Microsoft might do that because of bill gates honer for the company.

It may mean blue ray xbox 360 if my theory is correct.
Sachsengulli
Blu-Ray, it's much more powerful, and it's new technology...
screamingdecay
Having more storage dose not mean it will win.

Everyday people do not know what from what and will most likely go with the HD-DVd due to the fact they know DVD and they know HD is High Def so they will pick High Def DVD.

Also, the new HD-DVD Movies and Players are aready saleing out of stock in stores around the USA. Blurays first player will be out 3 months before any movies are out for it, and who is going to buy a player that has nothing to play on it? By the time the movies come out, HD will have 10-20+ movies.

I pick HD-DVD due it being name friendly with users, having the first start , and not having to check the internet to see if the disc is not illegaly burned Rolling Eyes

Also, Windows new OS Vista will have full support around the format vs. Bluray having no support other then having drivers installed to support it.
britto
Just like the VHS and BETA war there will be only one winner. I say sit down and enjoy the fight, its allways good when billion dollar companies are involved. No doubt someone will comeout with a Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive that supports both.

Don't buy anything, just live with dvd it is still great quality and with pvr's u can easily record to hdd your tv shows.

Just wait, be patient and leave it to the big boys, i certainly won't be heading out to buy the first model that comes out, and i don't recommend u do.

britto
lol what
I expect the Blu-ray will be the winner. The PS3 is going to have blu-ray drives. Given how well the PS2 sold, I'm sure the PS3 will also sell quite well. There is currently no reason to get an HD-DVD player, since they are so expensive. I don't expect anybody to buy a player for HD-DVD or Blu-ray anytime soon, but PS3 users will already have Blu-ray players.

I don't care at all which format wins, as long as it is a decisive victory. The sooner one wins, the better, so that I won't ever have to buy a player for both, or worry about not being able to play some movies.
time_ar
Well, I would say HD-DVD or whatever pricing is reasonable and acceptable.

Xeniczone wrote:
The next gen is almost here with high definition tvs and dvds.

When you go out to buy your next-gen HD player will you get a:
Sony Blue-Ray or
Toshiba HD-DVD

Currently Blue-Ray has the fallowing companies interested in it Sony, Pioneer, Dell, Apple, Disney, and Fox.

Sony Blue-Ray: Single sided 27 GB
Toshiba HD-DVD: Single sided 15 GB

Me myself I'm going with blue-ray for 2 reasons.
Apple wants it. I'm a mac user and apple is supporting the blue-ray deal so I will support apple.
Playstation3 will use it. I been saving my pennies to get the ps3 ever seens I got my ps2. And it will be the first system to feature a next-gen hd cd player.
Xeniczone
Quote:

Everyday people do not know what from what and will most likely go with the HD-DVd due to the fact they know DVD and they know HD is High Def so they will pick High Def DVD.

Also, the new HD-DVD Movies and Players are aready saleing out of stock in stores around the USA. Blurays first player will be out 3 months before any movies are out for it, and who is going to buy a player that has nothing to play on it? By the time the movies come out, HD will have 10-20+ movies.

I pick HD-DVD due it being name friendly with users, having the first start , and not having to check the internet to see if the disc is not illegaly burned Rolling Eyes

Also, Windows new OS Vista will have full support around the format vs. Bluray having no support other then having drivers installed to support it.

Hmm... You pull some interesting bs.

Who says that sony will not put a secondary lazer in it to read dvds? PS3 I do beleave is being expected to play blue-ray and dvd. Opps. I win.

Everyone knows what HD is wow. When I read that I just laughed. I'm sorry but you do understand that some people don't even know how to hook up COLOR CODED CABLES. EVEN WITH INSTRUTION THAT SAY PUT THE YELLOW INTO THE YELLOW OUT AND THE OTHER END INTO THE TV YELLOW IN.

How do you know that Windows Vista. Don't you mean microsofts new os? Windows is just a name not a company. Windows doesn't even have a hardware company. If we weren't so self-centered we would know that When I say Apple is interested in it. It is would mean Apple will start using it in thier hardware. Sold brand new with blue-ray disk burners in them. If they didn't support it then they would probably ship brand new with hd-dvd in them.

Microsoft is harder to say. because If Sony decides they like blueray and HP decides they like HD-DVD you would be spliting the company. You would have blueray W-Vista and HD-DVD W-Vista.

Lets do some math shell we Very Happy
Apple: blue-ray
Playstation 2: Blue-ray

Game population: Playstation 2 ~65-70% of gamers own one.
Computer population: Apple ~5-7%
screamingdecay
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:

Hmm... You pull some interesting bs.

Who says that sony will not put a secondary lazer in it to read dvds? PS3 I do beleave is being expected to play blue-ray and dvd. Opps. I win.

Everyone knows what HD is wow. When I read that I just laughed. I'm sorry but you do understand that some people don't even know how to hook up COLOR CODED CABLES. EVEN WITH INSTRUTION THAT SAY PUT THE YELLOW INTO THE YELLOW OUT AND THE OTHER END INTO THE TV YELLOW IN.

How do you know that Windows Vista. Don't you mean microsofts new os? Windows is just a name not a company. Windows doesn't even have a hardware company. If we weren't so self-centered we would know that When I say Apple is interested in it. It is would mean Apple will start using it in thier hardware. Sold brand new with blue-ray disk burners in them. If they didn't support it then they would probably ship brand new with hd-dvd in them.

Microsoft is harder to say. because If Sony decides they like blueray and HP decides they like HD-DVD you would be spliting the company. You would have blueray W-Vista and HD-DVD W-Vista.

Lets do some math shell we Very Happy
Apple: blue-ray
Playstation 2: Blue-ray

Game population: Playstation 2 ~65-70% of gamers own one.
Computer population: Apple ~5-7%

What I meant was this

More people know what an DVD is then what an Bluray is.
More people know what HD means then bluray is

Put HD-DVD with each other more people will know that theres HD= High Def on an DVD so that figures that.

I also just meant that Microsoft said that there OS Windows Vista will Deeply support HD-DVD and not Bluray thats all.
Xeniczone
of course they don't like blue ray. Yeh sony makes windows computers but they also make the playstation that microsoft isn't to... happy about.
Xeniczone
Seems like sony is starting to get support for the BlueRay disks.

Quote:
Sony Pictures:
• Hitch
• The Fifth Element
• Legends of the Fall
• House of Flying Daggers
• Bram Stoker’s Dracula
• Desperado
• For A Few Dollars More
• The Guns of Navarone
• A Knight’s Tale
• Kung Fu Hustle
• The Last Waltz
• Resident Evil: Apocalypse
• Robocop
• Sense and Sensibility
• Stealth
• Species
• SWAT
• XXX

20th Century Fox:
• Fantastic Four
• The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
• Behind Enemy Lines
• Kiss of the Dragon
• Ice Age

Lions Gate:
• Lord of War
• The Punisher
• The Devil’s Rejects
• Saw <-- Can't wait to see that in HD
• Terminator 2: Judgment Day <-- What about 1 and 3
• Reservoir Dogs
• Total Recall
• Dune
• Rambo: First Blood

Paramount:
• Four Brothers
• Sahara
• Aeon Flux
• Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
• The Italian Job <-- put me to sleep
• Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
• U2: Rattle and Hum
• Tim Burton’s Sleepy Hollow
• We Were Soldiers
• The Manchurian Candidate
• Mission Impossible 1, 2, and 3 <-- YES

All those movies being a avalible IN HDTV. and they still don't have a american blueray disk player.
TheGeek
Im going with blue-ray simply because even though i think hd-dvd will win in the beginning, in the long run, once the blue-ray has 4 layers and can hold its claimed high end capacity of 100GBs it will win the hearts of more and more people. Plus, they may be restrictive now, but restrictions can be changed as newer versions of the technology emerge, they may find that it really is to restrictive and release newer versions that feature less security.

In all im not too happy that sony is with them because i really dont support sony in most of what they do. However, i think eventually other companies will warm up to the idea of 100GBs worth of data on an optical disk and they will see that its better.

Also, i hope that the next gen disks dont have the same problems with the metal inside the disks corroding over time like they have found the dvd films to do, could you imagine having 100GBs of data on a disk only to find out that in a year it would be mostly lost....that would suck.
squirrelmaster
I voted Blue-Ray

Even with the people with not too much knowledge of electronics might trust blue-ray,
because they might have had SONY memorystick or something in a digital camera or camcorder. they would trust the name, and no
HD and DVD put together may not be a good thing.
average people don't know what to buy for dvd's alone DVD-R,DVD+R,DVD-RW,DVD+RW,DVD ROM,DVD RAM.
I think they will be resistant to any new "DVD" disk, and go with BlueRay.
believe me, some people would just to get away from confusion of compatibility.
and if their kids(or them) have a drive already with their PS3, then they will REALLY trust it.
Xeniczone
If your talking about the thing that sony is doing to blue-ray about it only working on one system.

False, this is a rumor started by a gaming site. Stating that once you insert a blue-ray into a system it will only work on that system.
b4r4t
Vote 4 B-R Smile
Why? Because sony knows what they doing Smile

Last fight?

cartridge (nintendo) vs CD (sony)

Who use cartridge today ? Smile
Xeniczone
Was laser disk and vcd also trying to compete when they first came out. Yet both of them failed?

For those who don't know Laser disk is a very large (record size) CD that would play movies. Then VCD (not used in america) is Video-CD the same size as a normal disk but required 2 or 3 disks to play a full movie. I think the titanic movie was like 5 disks.

Quote:

Not that I don't support sony but I support SEGA more.

Sega was the first to use cd's as a game system. (Sega CD) though it wasn't a accual game system it is considered to be one because it has it's own line of games.

Nintendo highered sony to make a CD system for their SNes but with problems copyrighting sony "stole" nintendos work and make the play station. Later they droped the SNes port and called it the Playstation (with no space).

After that generation. Sony of course had their playstation. Nintendo had the N64. and Sega had the Saturn. Technically Sega had all the advantages. A powerful system a lot of game developers and a line of classic Arcade games that Nintendo and Sony couldn't come close to saying. Of course back then it was all about something other then power. and the sega saturn power turned useless.
eday2010
b4r4t wrote:
Vote 4 B-R Smile
Why? Because sony knows what they doing Smile

Last fight?

Who use cartridge today ? Smile

And the fight before that?

Betamax (Sony) vs VHS (JVC)

And who uses Betamax today? Razz

Kidding aside, I prefer the Blu-ray format because there is more space and thus either more room for features and surround sound, or less compression of the movies. Plus more studios are supporting Bluray, which is why I think it will come out on top. Movies for both formats are the same price. Though I don't have a player, I would start buying movies for it if there was not this 2-format battle. I've stopped buying DVD movies a while ago and just buy TV Show DVDs.

But unlike Betamax vs VHS and Laser-disc vs Video-disc, Blu-ray and HD-DVD are the same physical size, so chances are that a company like LG or Samsung will make a player that plays both. But because it's not for sure, I haven't started collecting movies yet. But it would be a nice conclusion to this format war. Then everybody wins Smile
corey
HDDVD will be easier for the manufacturers to implement, as only slight modifications are required for the equipment. For the consumer, though, Blue-Ray is just a lot easier to say. It slides off the tongue much better.
PseudoKnight
HDDVD will capture the US market. It already has twice the movies, half the cost, and better performance and usability. It also has the better name. "HDDVD" makes sense to consumers. "Bluray" means nothing. Bluray is obviously technically superior, but that means almost nothing. They can already get full HD video on HDDVDs.

Personally I still support regular DVDs. Standalone players will have to drop below $200 and movies will have to under $25 before they become reasonable. It's definetly not worth re-buying movies so I'm glad there's backwards compatibility.
nilsmo
It's such a shame that there can't just be one standard... Sad

Anyways, I think I'm a Blu-Ray fan. More gigs.
brycearonium
Let me just say this, this has nothing to do witht he specs of each.

People who know nothing about electronics are going to look. Their going to say, ok i know what a dvd is, and i know what Hd is, so an hd-dvd makes sense. But blu ray? what the crap is that? It doesn't amke sense, and may turn off the average buyer who knows nothing about electronics and just has too much money to spend. I just wish we could have one. I am tired of watching it go back and forth. Just pick one a GO WITH IT. It's dumb to have to seel dvd's in 2 formats now.
squirrelmaster
Some guys at UCF made a 1TB dics, i so wish i had one of those Drool
and it's supposed to be more reliable too Very Happy

http://news.ucf.edu/UCFnews/index?page=article&id=0024004105bd60439010c0c76ce2f00409b

Too bad this on one isn't in the media wars yet, it'd be a surefire WINNER!!!
bcarasco
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
In terms of DRM, it's been widely reported that the Copy Protection system on Blue-Ray is very restrictive and even Bill Gates has said it's gone "too far" and is anti-consumer.

I wouldn't listen to anything bill gates says he even leaves he os widly open to hacks and stuff you wonder why every month you have to update you pc with 50 new security patches. I think he trys to make it easy to connect with little security

He didn't do this with Windows Vista. Windows Vista is more secure than every other OS (out of the box) and it comes that way. It was a smart move on their part and many people like them for this new version of the Windows OS.
Xeniczone
Quote:
He didn't do this with Windows Vista. Windows Vista is more secure than every other OS (out of the box) and it comes that way. It was a smart move on their part and many people like them for this new version of the Windows OS.

Compared to windows Xp it may be more secure but compare it to a Unix based kernal such as Mac OS X or Linux and it don't look so good anymore.

Nothing new about Windows Vista. Still runs on a Windows Kernal, Still effected by the 140,000 virus out their ready to eat it alive Very Happy

Personally I think windows Vista is a just a security patch for Windows XP with some new features.

Quote:
People who know nothing about electronics are going to look. Their going to say, ok i know what a dvd is, and i know what Hd is, so an hd-dvd makes sense. But blu ray? what the crap is that? It doesn't amke sense, and may turn off the average buyer who knows nothing about electronics and just has too much money to spend. I just wish we could have one. I am tired of watching it go back and forth. Just pick one a GO WITH IT. It's dumb to have to seel dvd's in 2 formats now.

You don't seem to give these non-tech types much credit. I think they will understand the Blue-ray is a different format.

Look I help some people out who don't know much about technology, and the thing is they don't go for what is known best to them they go for what is better.

For example, if someone that didn't know what they were doing walked into a bestbuy they are going to ask something like "I want one of those new DVD players" the store helper would ask "which one Blue-Ray or HD-DVD" the person who doesn't know much about tech will ask whats better. The store owner will tell what is better and the person that doesn't know much about tech is going to buy what is better. Thats just the way it is.
Madic
though I'm a pretty big xbox supporter over Playstation, I'd have to say that blue-ray has a better chance of pulling forward because of the better features over HD, while having the support of one of the biggest media hardware providers in the states, along with the second biggest computer hardware and operating system provider.
zipdaman12
Madic wrote:
though I'm a pretty big xbox supporter over Playstation, I'd have to say that blue-ray has a better chance of pulling forward because of the better features over HD, while having the support of one of the biggest media hardware providers in the states, along with the second biggest computer hardware and operating system provider.

Just a quick tidbit for you. It seems that samsung has already introduced a combo drive. This kind of eliminates the need to decide on which type of media to use. This also allows a user to get a fuller movie catalog, as I can guarantee any studio affiliated with Sony Pictures would never be released on HD DVD.

Food for thought,

Jack
fadirocks
Blu Ray sounds a good choice for DATA basically for the higher DATA holding but HD-DVD sounds a better option for films because the backward compatibility play mode!