FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What you prefer- ICQ or Messenger?

FunkyGirl
I prefer Messenger because it's more comfortable and pretty
Mumpay
back in the day i MUCH preffered ICQ, but no one's on it, everyone uses stupid msn messenger, so that's what I use now.

When will messenger get on the ball and have it so you can send an offline message that pops up as a regular message when that person logs back in? i mean, common. microsoft is really lame at integrating intelligent new features, take hotmail for an example. Wow it still sucks. At least yahoo made a few efforts to be more user friendly when gmail came in and blew the competition away with usability. microsoft seems dead set against improvement though Razz ugh.
FunkyGirl
where i live (israel) most of the people have ICQ
SunburnedCactus
Mumpay wrote:
back in the day i MUCH preffered ICQ, but no one's on it, everyone uses stupid msn messenger, so that's what I use now.

When will messenger get on the ball and have it so you can send an offline message that pops up as a regular message when that person logs back in? i mean, common. microsoft is really lame at integrating intelligent new features, take hotmail for an example. Wow it still sucks. At least yahoo made a few efforts to be more user friendly when gmail came in and blew the competition away with usability. microsoft seems dead set against improvement though Razz ugh.

Speak of the devil, that very feature (offline messaging) is in the newest version.

I use MSN because all my friends do, but if I had a choice I'd use anything else.
Mumpay
SunburnedCactus wrote:
Mumpay wrote:

Speak of the devil, that very feature (offline messaging) is in the newest version.

gasp! where? i got 7.5 and i dont got it, and on their site:
http://www.imagine-msn.com/Messenger/Post/Communicate/default.aspx?locale=en-us
it still says "Send E-Mail: Send e-mail to your offline contacts."

.. oh or is this that "Live" thing? it's still in testing mode tho right? Is anyone using Windows Live Messenger? any compatibility problems?
charredii
i dont' really know anyone on MSN or ICQ

everyone i know is on AIM pretty much. It's a shame that the worst messengers get the best attention.
pll
Messenger ... Of Course !
caroline
Are you sure everyone uses Messenger? I use AIM, and I use Trillian.
Now I'm starting to switch to google talk, but that's because it's right in the gmail website, which is really cool Smile

But between the two I prefer Messenger
Mumpay
caroline wrote:
Are you sure everyone uses Messenger? I use AIM, and I use Trillian.
Now I'm starting to switch to google talk, but that's because it's right in the gmail website, which is really cool Smile

But between the two I prefer Messenger

everyone i know is on messenger. i'm in canada and i know no one on AIM tho. i know a few on yahoo messenger, and it is nicer and more customizable, but just not enuf friends on there to be worthwhile to open.

i used to be on trillian but lately it's really been bugging up connecting to messenger. so i gave it up. i liked it when it worked though, fully customizable and very efficient and sleek, no waste of visual space at all. was very nice.
elcyron
i use the SimpleInstantMessenger, it does MSN ICQ Jabber AIM and YAHOO, only the plain chatfeatures but thats what i use the most.
the advantage over trillian is it workes in windows and linux alike. so i have the same history whatever i boot
win66
I prefer ICQ. However, any one like my friend all use MSN messanger, So now I using messanger. Crying or Very sad
nachjo chip
at first i used to only know people on Y! messenger, then AOL messenger, and finally everyone moved to MSN messenger... I have ofcourse been using trillian throughout it all... it rocks Smile

i never actually tried icq, and for irc i use trillian and the cgi:irc online client (irc.blitzed.net (or was it.org or .com?) only)
~ MC ~
MSN...cos it's private. In ICQ you can be talk to someone you dont know
clip
i just use trillian, icq, aim, msn and yim, all in one! pretty good! ^^ Very Happy
Slowhand
I use Windows Live Messenger (beta).. the new version of MSN Messenger. The design and feel is totally changed and I like more and its blows many other messengers away like ICQ and AIM. AIM is also working on a new messenger and that one is also going to be a very nice one!
silentpark
well i getting mor eand mor rid of both these protocols...

icq has often problems with the file sending for example (well often its because the user uses router but that is a problem that needn't not there...)

well msn doesn't support offline messages.. so... that only 2 disadvantages that come up to me at now...

well we'll see...
actually the anoe me.. :/
bigzero
I use Trillian, which means I use MSN, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, Jabbra, Google Talk and there might be some other. You can't use Google Talk with the free Trillian version, but meh, who cares when you can just use Google Talk as a standalone. And I know that people will start talking about Gaim and whatnot, but say all you want, Trillian is still the best. Very Happy
Nyizsa
ICQ! I recently registered to MSN, because some of my friends use that. I found it very unfriendly. No people search, for example, and every link on their site redirected me to a page that said that I wanted to create my profile now. (Yes - the Micro$oft way...)
By the way, I use gaim, so I have ICQ, MSN, YM and others at the same time. (Plus I didn't have to install anything from Micro$oft. Wink )
kazoe
i always use Ym not because of some usability reasons but more on the reason that all of my friends were there. i only use MSN for business stuff, so i rarely check there.
HL9881
I wull use ICQ for chat only ,
If I want to talk with other ppl ,
I will use messeger.

But messenger don't have silly things to do such as games and funny online sounds , but ICQ have .

So I prefer ICQ more. Twisted Evil
jostor
ICQ has it's charm, but all my friends use messenger, so that's what I use too....
william
Like all IM's, they both have negatives. ICQ never has users and MSN has a lot of spammers (for me). There are others too like Yahoo. Good, but the start-up is terrible. Then there's the new Beta Google Talk. The sound quality is great but there's no video or emotions or rich ext editors. The start-up is outstanding though. But, I'd go with MSN over ICQ.
silliman
william wrote:
Like all IM's, they both have negatives. ICQ never has users and MSN has a lot of spammers (for me). There are others too like Yahoo. Good, but the start-up is terrible. Then there's the new Beta Google Talk. The sound quality is great but there's no video or emotions or rich ext editors. The start-up is outstanding though. But, I'd go with MSN over ICQ.

I have used ICQ, PalTalk, InternetPhone, NetMeeting, YIM, Live Messenger, Skype, and some I can't even remember now. Three months ago I tried Google Talk, but like William said, it doesn't have or emotions or rich ext editors. For all the Internet muscle Google has, you would think that they would come up with a better product -- one that at least leverages its search and data back engines.

I favor Yahoo Instant Messenger mostly because it enables me to choose room by country/language. No other chat application has the same depth and breadth of public chat domains by country/language as does YIM.

I'm sorry Google just couldn't compete with Yahoo in this way, even though they have the potential.
matrix07
YAHOO!MESSENGER IS THE ONE TO GO ITS BETTER AND FAR MORE GOOD THAN ICQ,MSN ETC.....YAHOO!MSNGR HAS SOME STUNNING FEATURES LIKE WEB CAM VIEWING,INSTANT CONNECTION,DIFERENT CHAT ROOMS!!!
MR2005
messenger all the way
more features
easy for use
many options which not found in the icq & won't be ever . Wink
aegir
I use Jabber (eg GoogleTalk, but there are many other clients/implementations). It is the only open standard for IM, it can use encryption easily so it is safe for private data that should not be compromised and it has transports, so all people form ICQ, MS Messenger, AIM and other proprietary networks are available in it!

We use it even at our company as a bussiness solution. There are also lean opensource clients available, without advertisement, for any system you can imagine.

And I use IRC a lot, but it is a different beast (and it is also available via transport in Jabber, of course).
silliman
How’z it Frihost Friends,

I stumbled upon a way, way cool website called Smiley Central (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml ). After downloading a not-so-large executable, it installs a multitude of very clever, very cute (sometimes treacle), high-end graphic emoticons that offer a real boost to MSN Messenger and Yahoo Instant Messenger. (I can’t recall what other IM it can plug into.) In terms of the IM’ers ability to express “emotions” using Smiley Central, the range, depth and breadth of Smiley Central’s ready-made (as well as custom-made) emoticons has been dramatically improved over the limited selections that come pre-packaged with MSN Messenger and YIM.

Try it! You’ll be quite surprised.

Enjoy,

Mark
silliman
Fellow Frihosters,

A follow up question: Have any of you as ICQ, Yahoo Instant Messengers or MSN Messengers users ever had a problem with “security” as it relates to the sending and receiving of IMs? I have encryption software called PGP that not only encrypts my files, folders, email, and hard drive, but also provides encryption for AIM and other Instant Messengers. That being said, I frankly have never “knowingly” experienced any problems with hackers snatching any of my messages. How about you guys? Have you experienced hackers intercepting your messages? If not, (unless you work in a “classified” area), I wonder if it’s worth the bother.

Last question: Have you IM’ers had problems with mean-spirited people send you unwanted IMs containing malicious viruses or other destructive code to infect your computer through ICQ, MSN or YIM?

Thanks,

Mark
Animal
silliman wrote:
A follow up question: Have any of you as ICQ, Yahoo Instant Messengers or MSN Messengers users ever had a problem with “security” as it relates to the sending and receiving of IMs? I have encryption software called PGP that not only encrypts my files, folders, email, and hard drive, but also provides encryption for AIM and other Instant Messengers. That being said, I frankly have never “knowingly” experienced any problems with hackers snatching any of my messages. How about you guys? Have you experienced hackers intercepting your messages? If not, (unless you work in a “classified” area), I wonder if it’s worth the bother.

PGP will only encrypt your conversations if you're talking to another user that has PGP. I think it is very worthwhile since your IM conversations go through a central server where they can be monitored or logged. It's not because you have anything to hide, but because your conversations are nobody else's business.

There are several other plugins available for AIM, Messenger and Gaim that allow encryption - you should possibly take a look at these if none of your friends have PGP.
demento
I only use Messenger when it comes to video conversations. Everything else I do IM-wise is in Trillian.
Vrythramax
I have been using ICQ for a long time now (my number is only 5 digits long) and I still find it very useful. Many of my friends/co-workers still use it and we keep in touch with it regularly. As for Messenger, I have never tried it...I have a distrust of M$ for some reason.
smash_group
My classmates most have MSN, but my friends most use ICQ!!!~ I prefer MSN!!! Razz
greendayonline.co.nr
i prefer MSN messenger with the Messenger plus addon
dz9c
I use messenger just because its all I really need. My phone has AIM and thats all I use on my computer as well so it all works out.
Electricat
I use IRC, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, AOL, Jabber, Skype and GoogleTalk so that's why I have Trillian... Works perfectly with the whole lot...

mateuszjp
Hi
I'm Polish!!
So I use Gadu-Gadu and Skype.
Massenger isn't good programme!!

Pozdro
selim06
i only use MEsenger i hate chat so i talk only with my firends by messengers...
bercha
MSN messager!! hehe... i never used ICQ before 'cos my parents aren't allowing me to. Don't know why... hehe..
I also installed the MSN PLUS so it has more functions.
Sebaci
I use gadu-gadu. It's the most popular program in Poland and not worse than ICQ Wink
{name here}
I do not use ICQ nor Messenger. ICQ(free version) installs an adware onto your system, and I don't care for messenger.
I use one of two systems: IRC, and a Web based chat module I installed on a site of mine.
pe46
messenger is easy than icq to add user to talk.