FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Email from Yahoo! and AOL will be CHARGED

kjuvale
Yes! people if you thought Yahoo! Mail / AOL was the best; now think again both these companies have planned to charge a nomial fee for the correct email delivery. Paid-email customers will get their mails in a more speedy manner compared to a second set of consumers will have to endure lost or late mail coming to their respective accounts as a result of this paid service.

AOL is set to roll out this service in the second quarter in USA and Canada and then followed by Britain. Yahoo to follow soon.

Now you may ask how is this justified? The spokeperson from the company says "We want e-mails sent using the technology to have a stamp of authentication, so that consumers know that an e-mail that appears to be from a bank really is from that bank. We think that will help cut down on spam, but we don’t want consumers to pay any extra". (AOL)

Now people shift some other alternative like Gmail (2 GB and growing) with over 5 million and expanding; mail.com or others; No way hotmail ( 5 MB, 25MB, 250MB[USA mainly])

The best option go for Gmail. They are also introducing a new chat service call Gmail talk.

To read more goto Times Newspapers Ltd.http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2028139,00.html
Mumpay
ive tried out gmails chat thing. it's cute, but kinda annoying to use. but browser based and right in the email, so i guess more accessible. but meinh, nothing spectacular.

the rest of gmail though. purrrrr. i can't stand using my yahoo account anymore, i just set everything to foward to gmail because it's so much easier to deal with. less windows to load, reply and foward and attachments don't need 2 or more pages to load to complete them. It formats all the emails with the same subject together, which is super handy at keeping down clutter. The search feature is divine and super fast. I find nothing wrong with gmail, I adore it.

Retarded that the other two email clients are gonna charge though, so typical. But I guess it won't be that much different from their paid no-ad services with larger mail boxes. But if they will have crappier service, I can't see why people won't flock to gmail, especially since they should be doing it already based on simple usability.
robi
Not really surprised.

I never liked Yahoo! I never used AOL, dont know how it looks like.
Yahoo! was always kind of slower page loading, to many banners and ads.

I really like Gmail, been using it for over a year now, really good email provider Smile

Greet's!
Soulfire
I use hotmail, but if I would switch, it would be to Gmail, appears to be the best. I really do not like Yahoo! at all, and I haven't used AOL. It doesn't suprise me that they will start charging, nothing in life is free.
Vrythramax
I'm not terribly surprised Yahoo is going to start charging thier customers, they spent years building a client database and giving away free services to get you hooked now they want to make money off it. Sounds like Capitalism at it's finest. Actually it sounds more like a drug dealer who gives away free drugs to get you hooked then charges you thought the nose for the upkeep of the habit they created.

I have never used AOL in any form (that I know of), so I can't comment on them. But from what I have heard of AOL, they and Yahoo! are pretty much on the same page. There are so many free webmail services out there now, some good - some not so good, that you really don't have to put up with the Yahoo's and AOL's for free services.
googolplex
im not surprised, i never realy thought any of those companies were reliable
Winmitch
Well, I never liked Yahoo, but charging for email, thats just a bad idea. Everyone will just move to a free email provider, like hotmail, or something similar

I've been using hotmail for at least 6 years now, although I've thought about trying gmail.
prantikbordoloi
well my take is that...there is nothing wrong for some email provider to charge money, if they can say provide superior service.......

but dont you think it is rediculous..this notion of....guaranteed delivery !!

are they saying that since I dont pay for sending emails from their service .... I might be SPAM .. and hence my emails might not be delivered to the recipients to whom it is adressed to?? do the email providers have the right to sensor my emails.....and also what if I pay and I send SPAM with gauranteed delivery..is that ok??

this sucks...
decard cain
Paying for Emails?
I've signed up to hotmail, if yahoo wants to charge me for for getting Spam
yes, my inbox in infested with companys clawing at me zombies trying to get me to buy there stuff.
ocalhoun
I was wondering, what exactly is wrong with hotmail?
They give you a 250Mb inbox now, and it is rediculously easy to give them false information for starting a new account. (I have four hotmail accounts.)
equinedreamadmin
stallion555
O1W2C3
o-telecom
raman
lol
I cannot believe this, thats going a bit too far...
no_face15
Doesn't gmail save all your stuff though? So you'll never really be able to delete your mail, only delete it from your mailbox, but everything is saved on this odd superserver known as something like The Great Odd G-SuperServer. The idea just never sat well with me, I like to know when I delete someone's (usually members of the opposite sex) angry emails that they are in fact being deleted. So I stick with hotmail.
nopaniers
Yes, Microsoft has been suggesting similar things to combat spam. It seems like a crazy way to go about combatting spam, of which I cant think of a million better ways than charging people money. I don't know how these people can charge for things which they did not invent, and do not do the "work" for. I mean, if you send an email it goes through a bunch of servers running on Unix machines all around the world. It's just greed. I think the whole idea is flawed, and if they persue it people will just move to Google, Apple and open source.
alkady
This is going to hurt them badly. Alot of people are going to change service providers.
mOrpheuS
From what I understood of the linked news article, it's not the end user who's being charged the money.

Rather it's bulk senders - companies like Banks etc, who may not mind paying a premium just to ensure that their email arrives on time and doesn't end up in Yahoo's or AOL's spamboxes.

Why is everybody reacting as though they're expected to pay anything as end users ? Confused

If nothing else, misunderstanding like this will definitely hurt Yahoo! and AOL Laughing
daniel_l_135
mOrpheuS wrote:
From what I understood of the linked news article, it's not the end user who's being charged the money.

Exactly.
The first paragraph:
Quote:
AOL and Yahoo!, two of the world’s biggest e-mail providers, are to charge companies to ensure that their e-mails reach consumers — even if spam filters are turned on.

By the looks of it, it isn't going to change the way spam filters will handle individuals' mail, just help companies avoid the spam filters. Although it is probably just a money making scheme, It may help the end user avoid scams.
For example, if you know that companies pay for their mail to be sent, then you will automatically be suspicious of any e-mails that are marked as suspicious.
BTW, I have accounts with Yahoo, G-mail, hotmail, my Uni and my ISP. Each has a different purpose for me.
Scorpio
I am satisfied atleast somebody got this right.

It is a fact that ONLY THE SENDERS will be charged for
The poster himself got the meaning of the article wrong.

If some e-mail provider is going to charge you for sending mails then we've got a serious problem.

Of course if you think that the messages you will send to your friends would be marked as spam, no, it wouldn't.

Usually only messages from bulk mailers(companies) are considered spam if they have useless content.

Normal e mails from individual users havent been blocked by any mail provider as spam

due to the assumption that spam senders wont pay yahoo and aol to send their junk.
They would probably end up losing a billion dollars
Hogwarts
Gmail is near perfect. 2.5 gigabytes of space (thats ten times that of hotmail), an archive (you can delete from there then they go to the trash), a nice spam guard and an online chat client. Also, its 100% free but is only available for by invite.
khairulsyahir
Owh... Yahoo! had been a great webmail for me. But I don't really mind about the service, cause i had my own private-domain-named email account now, but I do wish things would be okay. Cause i don't want to have to retell all my contacts to discard my yahoo! mail address and use the private account.
JagatWorld
There is a bit of confusion and some wrong information, this is some kind of Urban legends, and the false news propaganda to make them selves more popular thru Negative campain.

These major email domains, gain a hell lot of money thru Ads which may otherwise will not come from paid accounts,

now why do they want to spoil their reputation and business....... ?? Rolling Eyes
selim06
i've heard some things about Yahoo and AOL aND i want to share it and i searched the forums and i didn't find the topic...So if i had some faults please don't get angry only say that...Thanks...
In Turkey i've bought an magazine and i've read...Yahoo and AOL will use a new system.So it will stop spam mailing because the senders will pay for it...So if the sender not in the owner's list and the owner won't add him in to the list...spammer have to pay it at the beginning they are thinking about 1 cent per mail...Now i want to ask is that possible?What do you think?
(And moderators it isn't an quote message because i wrote it and the magezine don't have English section...)
thiamshui
To pay to send email? That's not possible.. Even if Yahoo! and AOL adopts this method, it will do no good as other service providers like Google and MSN might not follow suit.. And besides, it is unfair to pay to send email.. I am sure it will remain free..
xorcist
thiamshui wrote:
To pay to send email? That's not possible.. Even if Yahoo! and AOL adopts this method, it will do no good as other service providers like Google and MSN might not follow suit.. And besides, it is unfair to pay to send email.. I am sure it will remain free..

They just talking about sending spam from those spam like those spam website that just find your email and start sending you email. It might be possible but not in that way they will just do like AOL and we play per month that's like paying to send email, they just charging it a different monthly rate instead of charing 1 cent per email.
Bondings
It is not only completely possible but also reality.

I wouldn't really blame Yahoo, but AOL is the real culprit in this case.

It's called "AOL CertifiedEmail".

First of all, they block all email coming in that isn't from aol itself.

To be unblocked you need to buy an "accreditation application processing fee" for the modest sum of $399.00, but they show their big heart by lowering it to $199.00 for "all applications submitted by July 31, 2006".

And last but not least you still need to pay per email, something like a few dollars per thousand emails apparantly.

There is also a free option, but you first of all need to be whitelisted.

To get whitelisted you need to have SPF records in place. It theoretically should stop phishing but in practice fails miserably at this. It also breaks all automatical forwarding and a lot of other essential mail settings.

To remain whitelisted you need to send at least 100 emails per month to AOL.

Sending an email should be free!

I just hate AOL. Evil or Very Mad
Bondings
scorpio wrote:
I am satisfied atleast somebody got this right.

It is a fact that ONLY THE SENDERS will be charged for
The poster himself got the meaning of the article wrong.

If some e-mail provider is going to charge you for sending mails then we've got a serious problem.

Of course if you think that the messages you will send to your friends would be marked as spam, no, it wouldn't.

Usually only messages from bulk mailers(companies) are considered spam if they have useless content.

Normal e mails from individual users havent been blocked by any mail provider as spam

due to the assumption that spam senders wont pay yahoo and aol to send their junk.
They would probably end up losing a billion dollars

You seem to forget that with your own website you are your own email provider. This includes all emails sent by forums, blogs and other website software.