FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

colour theory and site design

bjwok
hi guys,

anyone got some links to sites with working examples of good colour scheme theory in use?

cheers!
littlegiant
Colour theory is fairly easy. Most graphics editors will provide you with some kind of colour wheel to help you see how colours are typically organized to help with setting up complementary colour schemes. Basically, you have your three primary colours forming a triad (an equilateral triangle): red, yellow and blue. Then you have your secondary colours forming another triad offset from the first: green, purple and orange. Using all the colours from one of those triads is a good colour scheme.

Using pairs of opposing colours is also good colour coordination. On the colour wheel, these are opposing colours:

Red - Green
Blue - Orange
Yellow - Purple

Or you could get a little more advanced and use something like red and two different shades of green or you could combine a triad scheme with an opposing colour scheme, for example: red, yellow, blue + orange.

Of course, it will take some experimentation and an artistic sense to finetune your choices.
Reign
Here you go

http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html
ezekiel_rage
Thanks for the link!

It Really helps me out a lot.

You see, one of the biggest irony in my life is that my color range is very limited, yet I AM a web designer/developer by profession. (i took up Animal Science in college, mind you ) Razz

Sure designing a layout and develping functionalities for a site comes fairly easy enough, but my biggest dillema when designing is the color scheme.

With this i can design/develop sites faster, not as before, picking the color scheme takes up most of my time experimenting on what colors works and which ones doesn't.

Thanks
Marston
ezekiel_rage wrote:
Sure designing a layout and develping functionalities for a site comes fairly easy enough, but my biggest dillema when designing is the color scheme.
Haha, me too! I hate picking colors that match, I always pick crappy colors, or i just go with white and black Embarassed.
Arcath
i am terrible at chosing colors, so i niormally use a white bG 4 text, a black border that a grey page border, then the only color is the color in the banner
Bengt
tx man, looking very good !
GB
If you are designing on a Mac running OS10.4, I found a cool widget for your Dashboard called ColorBurn which gives you a new color scheme each day. You can find it on the Widget section of Apple's website or go to Firewheel Design's website to download it. I like it because it comes up with color pairings that you wouldn't necessarily think of. Also, every week or so, they give an example of that day's color scheme applied in an actual website.

Another thing I do to find great color combinations is to look around at design around you in magazines, billboards, the paint colors of your neighbor's house, in the garden, what ever.
bjwok
i gotta say thanks to Reign for that link! the simplicity and functionality of the colour wheel scheme is EXACTLY what i was looking for, so thanks very much!
riv_
ezekiel_rage wrote:
T... yet I AM a web designer/developer by profession. (i took up Animal Science in college, mind you ) Razz ...

Razz Razz Me too! Funny where you end up, eh?
LukeakaDanish
When designing, try to think of color associations. This is a very powerful tool for interesting your customers.

Red - Sex, Love etc...VERY POWERFUL
Yellow - Cheep, Fun
Green - Nature
Blue - proffesional, water, clean
Black - Simple, sad
Purple - exciting...

think of more yourselves

Luke