FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help to set up wireless network

frenchy
Hi

Stupid question for some, for me to ask but:

Can you set-up a wireless network without conecting it to the desktop or laptop ???

Basicly internet to modem, modem to router, then internet signals sent to a laptop.

Ive got BT Broadband
A Netgear wireless ADSL Firewall router 54Mbps
And lastly a Compaq Presario Laptop to have about the house.
That is all.lol

Thanx
Jaiye
Yes. the connection should go just as you described, and any other computers could then connect to the router/wifi with disrupting anything,
KHO
that will work if all you want is to have the internet broadcasted, however, if you were to say try and access a printer that you thought you put on your local network wirelessly, you would find that you cannot locate it. This is because the router must be configured seperatly to handle the network, this is where you have to pay someone, or spen like a week and a half straight reafing only to screw it up even harder Neutral. l recomend the first of these Neutral.
frenchy
Well ive tryed setting it upand it wont work.
Pissing me off proper.
mwm
Can you ping your router? You should be able to see the inside interface of the router from the laptop.

Does the laptop even see the available wireless network?

Is the laptop configured properly for wireless.

There are MANY MANY variables here. Start with the computer. Does it have built in wireless or pcmcia wireless card? If the laptop is know to connect with success to other wireless lans then move on to the router config. Take it one device at a time...

-mwm
frenchy
Can you ping your router? Nop it says modem not connected in "ipconfig"

You should be able to see the inside interface of the router from the laptop. I can see the interface but it keep asking me to connect to the internet which it obviously can't do.

Does the laptop even see the available wireless network? Yes it does but it won't connect to it.

Is the laptop configured properly for wireless. Yep it is cos i can connect onto next doos network.lol but is just letting me try his network out.

There are MANY MANY variables here. Start with the computer. Does it have built in wireless or pcmcia wireless card? If the laptop is know to connect with success to other wireless lans then move on to the router config. Take it one device at a time...

Cool ill do that.

Thanx
Animal
I think the problem here is that you've not configured your modem with the Broadband settings. To do this, you would be best to hard-wire your computer to the modem, set up all the information (login details, passwords, static IP address if applicable etc.) then connect the router to the modem when it has connected to the internet.
ChargerBear
Yes the internet needs to be configured first with the ethernet cable. With my linksys router I contacted tech support and they had me goto a web site that a configuration program. I clicked on it, and it automatically configured my router and modem to work wireless with my laptop. I then disconnected the ethernet cable from my laptop and have never plugged into my laptop again. Check with your router's web site and see if they have a configuration program also. It sure made the setup easy for me.
Clash
ChargerBear wrote:
Yes the internet needs to be configured first with the ethernet cable. With my linksys router I contacted tech support and they had me goto a web site that a configuration program. I clicked on it, and it automatically configured my router and modem to work wireless with my laptop. I then disconnected the ethernet cable from my laptop and have never plugged into my laptop again. Check with your router's web site and see if they have a configuration program also. It sure made the setup easy for me.
What you're describing here is a web interface for your router. Not a web site. It's just a selection of html pages installed on the router to help you configure it.

The way to go is this:
Connect the laptop to the router using a patch lead. If your laptop is set up in 'out of the box' network configuration it should get an ip address automatically from the router. You can then go to the network properties box and get the ip address of the router usually something like 192.168.0.1 it will be listed as 'Gateway' on the support tab of your Local Area Connection status.

Open your browser and enter http://192.168.0.1 (or whatever your gateway ip address is) in the address bar and press enter. you should then be on the configuration screen of your router.

They're all different so this is where we part ways.

Good luck Laughing
greendayonline.co.nr
i have my router connected to my modem and 3 laptops and one desktop wirelessly connect to the router

this is better for me as i dont have to have the wires from the router linking to my pc in the next room