FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Scientists said Coke and Pepsi need health warning labels

goutha
Two groups of researchers hope to add evidence to the theory that soda and other sugar-sweetened drinks don't just go hand-in-hand with obesity, but actually cause it. Not that these drinks are the only cause -- genetics, exercise and other factors are involved -- but that they are one cause, perhaps the leading cause.

I'm ok with this statement. This maybe will help people to realize the danger of these kind of drinks.
SunburnedCactus
Could you post the source for this, I'd like to read more. Agree that it's a good idea, I don't think there's enough awareness of the health issues.
the_mariska
Well, in my country neither obesity nor overdosing of Coke has become a problem yet, but I'd support such a campain. People are too lazy to check what they exactly eat/drink, maybe it would help them somehow.

(BTW: It's also scientifically proved that such drinks are brilliant in cleaning chrome surfaces Very Happy. Maybe we should start using it this way instead of drinking and fattening Razz)
goutha
This was an article wrote by MARILYNN MARCHIONE a Medical Writer for Associated Press. The article was published in The Herald Sun.

Here is the link :

http://www.heraldsun.com/state/6-708845.html
Sappho
the_mariska wrote:
Well, in my country neither obesity nor overdosing of Coke has become a problem yet, but I'd support such a campain. People are too lazy to check what they exactly eat/drink, maybe it would help them somehow.

Question is if they would care anyway, i think they will just go and drink it as much as they do now. Rolling Eyes
Bondings
I completely disagree with this.

-Coca cola has a 'cleaning' effect which can be beneficiant for the organism in a lot of cases. It is even used in hospitals (not kidding).

-Those drinks contain a lot of sugar. This means a lot of quick energy, it just depends what you do with it. If you drink it as a replacement for a meal (not healthy though) you can actually lose a lot of weight.
robi
It probably doesnt hurt to drink it, if you drink it in normal size, dont know how to express my self.

Just dont drink it too much, and I think you'll be fine Smile
Eyre
i heard somewhere that a coke type thing was used to clean ship decks. Thus backing up bondings cleaning type thing
Jack_Hammer
It depends how much you drink and when you drink it, personally I drink it when I am out on excorsizes (Army camps etc.) and I need energy (I know high sugar carbotnated drinks dehydrate you, so I also drink plenty of water) but it does refresh you quickly and give you a lot of glucose. So in certain sercumstances it can be very benificial though the way kids drink it and not enough water it is very very bad.

Though on a seperate but related issue COCA COLA KILLS.

BBC wrote:
Trade union leaders in the United States have said they are suing the soft-drinks company Coca-Cola for allegedly hiring right-wing death squads to terrorise workers at its Colombian bottling plant.

More on this topic here.
psycosquirrel
Laughing

I think Coke, as with any sugary beverage, can cause diabetes and obesity if drinken too much or too often. If you drink a Coke a day, you are exposing your system to large amounts of phosphorous also, which can cause tooth and even bone decay. Coke should only be drinken occasionally, not habitually as it is today...
Vrythramax
Bondings wrote:
I completely disagree with this.

-Coca cola has a 'cleaning' effect which can be beneficiant for the organism in a lot of cases. It is even used in hospitals (not kidding).

-Those drinks contain a lot of sugar. This means a lot of quick energy, it just depends what you do with it. If you drink it as a replacement for a meal (not healthy though) you can actually lose a lot of weight.

Not to mention it is a lovely source of CAFFIENE.

I drink coke every day and I have for a number of years, I am not fat in any stretch of the imagination and I have no health issues concerning diabetes. I like coke and will continue to drink it as long as it's on the market. Given that I don't drink alcohol, drinking coke may be the one vice I am not willing to give up easily....been drinking it for years and I ain't hooked. Smile

Hey....was this thread started by a Pepsi lover??? Question Shocked
Mumpay
booo, pepsi, hisss.

if they put a label on pop, why not put a label on oreos and fudgeos and chocolate bars and bags of sugar for baking? Razz
jiten
goutha wrote:
Two groups of researchers hope to add evidence to the theory that soda and other sugar-sweetened drinks don't just go hand-in-hand with obesity, but actually cause it. Not that these drinks are the only cause -- genetics, exercise and other factors are involved -- but that they are one cause, perhaps the leading cause.

I'm ok with this statement. This maybe will help people to realize the danger of these kind of drinks.

Scientists said Coke and Pepsi need health warning labels ya it is tru that this soft drink maker should do same
Liu
The fact that coke can completely dissolve your teeth already deters me from drinking it.

Not to mention you can use it to clean your toilet.

There are better ways to get energy than drinking soda. I.e. a balanced meal.
goutha
To convince you that drinking Coke or Pepsi is not good for your health... try to take a full cup of Coke or Pepsi, put in it a some meat, chiken, vegetable, whatever... Leave it one hour or two... and you'll see what will happen.

So even if you drink it light of even if it was without sugar, there's substances in it that will hurt your stomac. In addition to cafeine, etc... an explosive cocktail for your health!!!

Most of us still young... 40 and under... but w'll feel the accumulation of the effect of this kind of beverage in the future!

So take care. Tea is a good alternative. Water. Fruit juice, etc.
Garnet
That's a bit like suing McDonalds for making you fat. Anyway who need a warning label when they can just read the ingredients? Sugar's the 2nd on the list Very Happy

Like with absolutely everything, moderation's the key. A warning label isn't going to be enough to stop you if you're one of the people who replaces meals with the stuff.

Probably people have heard of the experiment that was done though? The one where they left a screw in a glass of coca cola and it was completely dissolved after a day or two? Shocked I saw it first hand - if anything that should be what the warning is for.
Ultima1080
If the general population can't figure out that carbonated sugar water is bad for you...then I think the problem lies in our schools Wink
TheFaction
im sure it doesnt matter but i used to drink regular coke/pepsi (not a fanboy for either) then i made the decision to just switch to diet....im sure its just as bad for me. however, it did help in me losing some weight over time.

as for the mc'ds making you fat, you've obviously never seen super size me. its a great movie showing how eating a high fat diet of any kind can mess up ur liver xcore.
Garnet
Ah I did see it, however I still believe that Coke and McDonalds etc are only the tools, not the cause, for making a person obeise. You know, it's not the car's fault but the driver. <-A common idea I think.
atomictoyz
Stupidity is the leading cause of disease Smile

I think there is some evidence thar Sugar is addictive and that is why you find sugar additives to just about everything on the shelves nowadays.

McDonalds adds sugar to it's fries and hamburger buns becaus ethey know that it's not the fat that brings em back.
Scaramanga
goutha wrote:
To convince you that drinking Coke or Pepsi is not good for your health... try to take a full cup of Coke or Pepsi, put in it a some meat, chiken, vegetable, whatever... Leave it one hour or two... and you'll see what will happen.

This is the biggest MYTH in the world (well maybe not the biggest, but it IS pretty widely perpetrated. ) First off, neither Coke nor Pepsi will have any harmful effects in left on something for a couple of hours. Now it CAN have bad effects if you let it sit on something over a 24-hour period. But guess what KIDS, so can orange juice, milk, and a whole LOAD of other common substances that we ingest on a daily basis. The point is that NONE of these things STAY in your system for longer than a few hours. As for diabetes claims, and other health risks, well guess what, NEWS FLASH: anything taken to excess is BAD for you. Yes, if you drink 12 Cokes a day you're probably not doing much good to your body, and probably not a small amount of harm. But having a couple of Cokes or Pepsis a day is NOT going to hurt you (unless you're eating the bottle/cans too.) Very Happy
Soulfire
It is not the food drink's fault for obesity, it is our own. The reason people become fat is pure laziness. They take in all these Calories, but do nothing to get rid of them. This is not to say that the food and drinks aren't playing a role, but I honestly believe that people are just trying to keep the blame from themselves.

Anyone can exercise at any time of the day, we all just choose not to, and then when we get fat, we blame someone/something else.

Just my 2 cents though.

P.S. - It's Ronald McDonald's fault that obesity is rising in our youth... (Sarcasm, for the slower people)
OutlawSpirit
coca cola some good drink... i drink coca cola whenever im out by the shops... but i always work out so it doesnt matter Cool
thiamshui
they do indeed contain a rather high amount of sugar.. shouldn't drink too much.. Coke or Pepsi 'Light', which contains less sugar tastes bad though..
goutha
The properties of COKE:

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!
byt
well I'm sorry to say I think all the bad effect coke is supposed to do is bull***t.

I personally don't drink any hot drinks (tea/coffee) instead I choose to drink coke. I have done so for the past 20 years, I am not obese, my stomach has not disolved, a couple of years back I had a full medical including a full blood test, all fine. I have all my own teeth(except the one I broke in a bike accident).

In fact I suffer very little illnesses, only been physically sick 3 times in 16 years. I don't suffer from colds and flu half as much as others in my family. I often work outside and never feel the cold as much as those I work with.

I consider myself fairly healthy so I can't see how coke is so bad, I drink approx 2 liters per day
ocalhoun
Mumpay wrote:
if they put a label on pop, why not put a label on oreos and fudgeos and chocolate bars and bags of sugar for baking? Razz

They do: It reads "Nutrition Informaiton ..."
Urahara
Considering all the Aspartame and artificial sugars...yeah.

I've recently done a study/research on artificial sugars and soft drinks, results are quite shocking. In the US I believe they label these. I saw a picture of a pop can that had a label that said something like this:

Warning, this product contains aritificial sugars and may lead to undesired health effects such as diarrhea, ...etc.

>_>

Coke has bad effects, go research.
Nutorious
Actually i could really see this, my cousin is actually obese (spelling?) well actually she is over that, and the doctors advice was to stop drinking so much pop, she drinks about 5 cans of cherry coke a day! But otyher than that she doesnt eat too badly i mean, she isnt the healthyest eater but then i have seen worse, And i really do think its the soda that does that to her. So i really could belive this statement, i also think people dont realise the amount of crap in soda either
lukeropro
According to my teacher, carbonated drinks like coke and pepsi will kill your sperms. And I do agree that coke and pepsi is bad for your health if you drink it excessively! You should drink in moderation like 1 can per week or something. I used to drink a lot of coke which made me gain a few kilograms. Carbonated drinks can actually corrode your teeth if you drink it excessively as it is very acidic with a pH of around 3. So one should drink it in moderate
xkarenflowerx
argh, anything with sugar is bad!!! we didn't evolve to digest so many of the things we choose to consume. . especially sugar Sad

and there are so many sugar addicts in the world, who don't even realise it. . and oh!!!

why do we eat and drink this stuff? what's wrong with the paleolithic diets that we always ate before, the food that we were made to eat Smile

*growls at bad food/drink*
goutha
Cola drinks have 3 ingredients that possibly be harmful to health:

1. Sweeteners. Sugar in soft drinks (including non-cola drinks) increases
the possibility of dental caries ("cavities"). Non-nutritive sweeteners
such as saccharin and aspartame also have undesirable side-effects in
specific population segments. Nutritive sweeteners are a significant
source of calories in the diet (about 250 per serving of a soft drink).

2. Caffein. This "upper" is added specifically to cola drinks as a class.
It is a diuretic and can elevate blood pressure. It has been suggested as
connected to development of rheumatoid arthritis.

3. Phosphoric acid. This acid is typically only used in cola drinks, which
are very acidic (low pH) compared to other soft drinks. This can increase
the rate of enamel loss from teeth. Phosphates in general are a
nutritional problem when ingested in volume without corresponding calcium.
This results in decalcification of bone tissue, accelerating osteoporosis
in the aged.
Gieter
Eyre wrote:
i heard somewhere that a coke type thing was used to clean ship decks. Thus backing up bondings cleaning type thing

I think this is an urban legend, because of three reasons:

- it's sticky
- it's too expensive
- who ever uses Coca-Cola to clear a ship deck!

But the argument of Bondings is very true, when you're having a bit problems with your intestins it's good to drink Coca-Cola.

If Coca-Cola needs warning labels, than cars, air planes, regular food, even water needs a warning label. (If you drink about 10 liters of water you'll die of it.)
mathiaus
This is pure daftness just like mcdonalds etc. Coke is only bad for you in large quantaties. Dont drink it 24/7 and you'll be ok just like the occasional mcdonalds wont kill you but people who eat 3 mcdonalds a day and nothing else desrve it (unless their kids and their parents take them)

Water can kill you if you drink to much of it. Should we stick a warning on that as well?

Its all about self-control. If you manage whats good and bad well you'll be OK otherwise if you're greedy and just go for the bad stuff, your stuffed :-&

EDIT: didnt see the post above mine which is very similar Crying or Very sad
coke has lots of uses http://members.tripod.com/~Barefoot_Lass/cola.html
Gieter
mathiaus wrote:

EDIT: didnt see the post above mine which is very similar Crying or Very sad

Don't cry... it only confirms that we are right! Joking Wink
Mgccl
that's bad.... I like to drink those stuff even it will kill me(if not instantly)
thpn
Well that wouldn't surprise me to be exact. You can usually link obesity to an eccesive use of caffinated products like Coke and Pepsi. I think that, with the right excersise and healthy eating, that mabye two Cokes a day is an okay diet. But, caffine isn't the only factor of obesity. Food and family histroy are key. If you just drink caffine and do not eat fatty foods, you may die but you will not become obeise. If your regular day is a Coke with every meal you won't become obeise but you may gain a few pounds. If you eat four cheeseburgers for lunch and a large order of Chinese rice and a Coke with each one plus mabye one for snak in between then odds are that in one year you will gain at least 80 ponds. Also, did you know that if you drop 100 calories right now that you will loose 10 pounds in only one year? And that if you walk a mile everyday for the next year you will loose an extra 10 pounds? Sure, not much compared to the Atkins diet but really, no matter how many pounds you loose in a month you are most likely to gain twice as much when you get tired of following it.
goutha
Proving that something causes disease is not easy. It took decades with tobacco, asbestos and other substances now known to cause cancer, and met strong industry opposition. It would be especially tough for a disease as complex as obesity.

This is the same for coke and pepsi drinks. It will take a long while before people start realizing the disaster... and before scientits convincing them...
Scorpio
It is tough to drill such info into the head of the common man.

Atleast let us be happy that we know about the ill effects of these drinks and know that they eventually may be fatal, tested or proven or not.

So, it enables us to keep away from it.

These things must be accepted at face value like for example, pluto is a planet in your solar system.

You and me haven't seen it live, but we believe it.

Similarly we must believe that this is harmful Confused
{name here}
http://snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp

Every popular myth of Coke proven true or busted.
Team Hedgehog
I dont really care what they say about that, cuz cola kicks butt! oh yeah! Very Happy
I probably ain't scared cuz I haven't got illness of it, thats why i love it, and of couse, the other answers at the other topic about that Smile

I'll drink cola, sprite and fanta everyday, and can't get sick of it at all!
(dont think im sugar monster or anything Smile)
Scorpio
Team Hedgehog wrote:
I dont really care what they say about that, cuz cola kicks butt! oh yeah! Very Happy
I probably ain't scared cuz I haven't got illness of it, thats why i love it, and of couse, the other answers at the other topic about that Smile

I'll drink cola, sprite and fanta everyday, and can't get sick of it at all!
(dont think im sugar monster or anything Smile)

What I am talking about is long-time effects.
it is not like, if you drink one cup of it, your organs melt and you die a painful death.

It causes problems over time. Sometimes genetic and hereditary, pretty much like constant exposure to small amounts of radiation over a long period of time.

you might not be affected, but your progeny may be.
byt
chances are that anything and everything we eat or drink can be prove to be bad for your health for instance, I was brought up when the saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" was clearly believed, even today fruit is recommended to be part of our daily diet yet when investigating my oldest sons hyperactivity we found this can be caused by red apples, the pigment in the skin causes it. thus a nice red apple can be bad for you.

I reckon even a glass of water can be harmful and if we all worried about everything we ate we'd all die of starvation.
windval
it should be

some scientist said coke harm

the human body

it is so dangerous~~
Scorpio
byt wrote:
chances are that anything and everything we eat or drink can be prove to be bad for your health for instance, I was brought up when the saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" was clearly believed, even today fruit is recommended to be part of our daily diet yet when investigating my oldest sons hyperactivity we found this can be caused by red apples, the pigment in the skin causes it. thus a nice red apple can be bad for you.

I reckon even a glass of water can be harmful and if we all worried about everything we ate we'd all die of starvation.

The red apples hyperactivity may be due to the fact that your older son may be allergic to it.
Not necessary that it may cause hyperactivity in everyone.
thiamshui
now they have a 'Pepsi Max'.. says there is no sugar.. perhaps it will help be healthier and reduce obesity..
KayosGraphix
Items such as Diet coke and other products which say 'No Sugar' actually have so many sweetners in them which has the same effect as sugar once its in the body. Also, No Sugar products are filled with Aspartame, the sweetner which gives cancer to everything it touches, and most people dont realise.
menhao
I believe that will be no effect to people drink coke or pessi, even there will be a warning label on the top of the bottle, just partly the same like smokers did. what you say?
KayosGraphix
Well it might make people think a bit more and check the label, but other than that i think your right it wont have a major effect.
Reaper
We could start slaping warning labels on everything but that would cost to much time and money so I say why not just slap one warning label on people that reads: Warning this person may do stupid things like sue companys to get rich quick, or drink 80 gallons of pop when they know they are not supposed to or pick up 3 big macs from a fast food place eat them, and then say " I CANT HELP IT" after all you only choose to walk into the store, you choose to walk up to the counter and put your money down and buy them so stop bitching.
Sorry but when it comes to people who say somethings a health hazard i have this to say, they are right in fact allmost everything IS a health hazard if its used in a certain way.
KayosGraphix
Reaper wrote:
We could start slaping warning labels on everything but that would cost to much time and money so I say why not just slap one warning label on people that reads: Warning this person may do stupid things like sue companys to get rich quick, or drink 80 gallons of pop when they know they are not supposed to or pick up 3 big macs from a fast food place eat them, and then say " I CANT HELP IT" after all you only choose to walk into the store, you choose to walk up to the counter and put your money down and buy them so stop bitching.
Sorry but when it comes to people who say somethings a health hazard i have this to say, they are right in fact allmost everything IS a health hazard if its used in a certain way.

Good Point.
Ultima1080
Sodas don't need warning labels, what the hell is up with that. Hell, scientists should encourage people to drink it just on the premise that stupid people should die. Seriuosly. It's sugar water. SUGAR water. SUGAR makes you FAT.
KayosGraphix
He he he ^
LeviticusMky
Simple deduction shows that Coke and Pepsi and their many iterations have many many side-effects that are not attributable to their sugar content.

That, plus people drink them instead of water, so the sugar content does become a major problem.

Drink tap water. It's good for you.
byt
scorpio wrote:
byt wrote:

The red apples hyperactivity may be due to the fact that your older son may be allergic to it.
Not necessary that it may cause hyperactivity in everyone.

no, we only realised what was causing it when we investigated what foods affect hyperactivity and one of the items listed was apples, we then realised that when he had apples at school for breaktime he had problems in the afternoon yet on days with other fruit he did not thus finding the cause to be apples espeacially red ones
goutha
In my opinion, soft drinks and coffee should be ingested in moderation. This means that we have to avoid more than 4 servings a day. In addition to that, if you are at risk for osteoporosis, avoid soft drinks with phosphoric
acid (e.g., colas). And finally, drinking the diet form of soft drinks can eliminate 1000 calories or more per day from the diet and will reduce the incidence of sugar-related dental caries.
Magebloom
My grandma always said have a little of everything in moderation and she lived til she was 86, seems like she had the right idea all those years back. I don't see that putting warnings on the cans of said drinks will change alot. I'm a smoker, I'm also a biology postgrad and it doesn't deter me from smoking, at the end of the day people know what drinking and eating junk foods will do to them.

Just my thought but it all goes in at the mouth, educate people in general, warning labels just get ignored or laughed at in the "It wont happen to me!" sense!
gh0stface
I think we should just remove warning labels all together. It'll weed out all the stupid people Wink
goutha
I'm still thinking that warning labels are important.

Warning labels ont cigaretts are ignired because people are dependent and they don't care about the danger anyway.

But in the case of soda, there's no dependency. Then the family guy who's buying soda for his children will think twice when he'll se a warning on a coke or pepsi bottle...
heady233
goutha wrote:

I never drink soda because it's too bubbly. So I guess I don't have to worry about this thread.
Ultima1080
Yeah, like there are stupid warning labels/signs all over the place. Like road signs that say "slippery when wet" or "bridge my ice in cold weather" or warnings on power tools and such. If it's common sense, it should not belong on a warning label. If you die because you tried to use your hair dryer in the bathtub, it's your own damn fault.
joshdifabio
Why does everything need health warnings in American. Can't people us a little common sense over there? I guess there is the issue of being sued all the time etc. and i think that the government over there really need to sort that out because it just seems utterly rediculous the kind of lawsuits that people manage to win.

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2003/t_stella_awards-p1.php

How can courts justify awarding those kind of settlements?
Ultima1080
Holy crap. That is so rediculous. Apparently everything needs a warning label now. But what was up with the guy who bought the Winnebago? IT IS A MOTOR VEHICLE. AUTO PILOT FOR CARS HAS NOT YET BEEN INVTENTED. Redculous. I wish I coudl be on the jury for those cases.
meet in rio
I think these companies do enough by putting the nutritional information on the cans; it's not their fault if some fool drinks three cans a day and is then surprised when all his teeth fall out and he gets fat.

It only pisses me off when, for instance, McDonald's gives itself a 'sporty' image.
Reaper
meet in rio wrote:

It only pisses me off when, for instance, McDonald's gives itself a 'sporty' image.

Well said, want to put warning labels on something? try mcdonalds and their food. With the exeption of pop of course.
Nocturnis
Uhm... Hello; just about any food or drink product ever made in America needs a health warning. Companies generally don't give a crap if the food sells and people like it. ><; The "health advisories" are just on there for nicety.
Reaper
Nocturnis wrote:
Uhm... Hello; just about any food or drink product ever made in America needs a health warning. Companies generally don't give a crap if the food sells and people like it. ><; The "health advisories" are just on there for nicety.

This is sad but quite true about us in the united states, even though most would deny it. Like someone denys that smoking is bad for you and insists that its actually good for you.
FriBogdan
I don't belive this... Yeah...everything in our days is or contains something toxic but in small proportions. Hm...if u think u will be fat because Pepsi...drink Pepsi Light Very Happy. It is very good...
It is a nice idea to drink something natural, but where is the flavor...etc...i prefer Pepsi and i will drink it Very Happy
Do what u think... Rolling Eyes
mstreet
I usually stick to the general rule of having tooo much anything is not good for you, soft drinks, coffee, tea, junk food, fast food, anything that makes things too convenient has got to have something wrong with it.
Innercynic
as compared to to me, i say the more the merrier, lifes too short to worry about over-rated things like health