FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IDE Hard Drive Controller not recognizing my Drives

dayers
I have a Dell Demension 8100 Pentium 4 1.4 ghz system. When I shut down the system , the next time I turn it on , it does not recognize my hard drives and will not boot. After turning off and on a few times, it finally recognizes them and boots normally. This happens sporadically. I have since resorted to not shutting my system down. Rather, I just restart usually once a day. Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this. My hard drive is brand new , so I know its not that.

Thanks
Dan
steveadams617
Could you tell us specifically what error you are getting on the screen?

Do you have another cable around that you could use to connect the hard drive to the computer to rule that out?

Can you put the hard drive in another tower to check that out or extra hard drive that you could put in your computer and use your new hard drive as a slave to run some tests on it?

Just because a hard drive is new, doesn't mean it's perfect. Probably statistically more likely to fail new out of the box and then again in 5 or 6 years. I had a firewire drive that would only boot sporadically new out of the box and I blamed the operating system and everything else until it just started clicking and died prematurely.

Needless to say, I would backup VERY regularly and consider at least exchanging the hard drive to rule that out.

Let us know what happens.
landxxx
dayers wrote:
I have a Dell Demension 8100 Pentium 4 1.4 ghz system. When I shut down the system , the next time I turn it on , it does not recognize my hard drives and will not boot. After turning off and on a few times, it finally recognizes them and boots normally. This happens sporadically. I have since resorted to not shutting my system down. Rather, I just restart usually once a day. Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this. My hard drive is brand new , so I know its not that.

Thanks
Dan

ahhaaaaaa

and I have this problem, but I spent my computer to service and they repair electric in computer
ezekiel_rage
dayers wrote:

Thanks
Dan

may i ask how many IDE cables you use? do you have 2 IDE ribbon cables? one for the primary IDE and the other for the secondary IDE channel

Have you tried to replace these cables?

sometimes this problem is simply due to a faulty IDE cable, i suggest you get a new IDE cable and test if it will correct the problem.

anyway if the problem is not on the cables, you can use the new IDE cable as a spare.
ChargerBear
Before you open her up and start yanking ribbons and hard drives try going into the bios and loading optimized defaults. It worked for me when I had the same problem. Sometimes it can be hard to get into the bios on computers like Gateway and Dell computers. With my Gateway I had to reboot several times hitting F1 at boot up. I eventually got into the bios though.
altec
dayers wrote:

Thanks
Dan

I think you need to go to the BIOS setup by pressing F1 or escape at bootup.
Once there, go to the menu for the Boot Sequence. I suspect that your boot sequence is not set up properly. Set it at this sequence - C:, CDROM, Floppy.

I hope this helps.
aleksandarp
You have to reset your bios. You can do it with jumper near the bios battery. If you can't find it you can plug out the battery and plug in it again after a couple of hour. If it isn't successful you can flash your bios with utility on the motherboard CD or you can find it on the internet.
Clash
dayers wrote:

Thanks
Dan
You said it was brand new, if so perhaps you have not connected it properly. Cable may be slightly out of position causing failure at boot up. Check all your cables fully before going near the BIOS.

Also, if you have more than one drive on the cable, this could be part of the problem if they are of different speeds/generations.

As a general rule, it is not a good idea to have more than one drive on a single cable. Lots of people think it's ok becuase the connector is there, but believe you me it's cheaper and faster to get a bigger hard drive.

And it's even more of a problem if you mix CDROM's and HD's on the same cable. You get all sorts of timing problems with that set up.
Clash
aleksandarp wrote:
You have to reset your bios. You can do it with jumper near the bios battery. If you can't find it you can plug out the battery and plug in it again after a couple of hour. If it isn't successful you can flash your bios with utility on the motherboard CD or you can find it on the internet.
You do not have to reset the BIOS!! Dell BIOS are usually set to auto-detect IDE devices, so what in blazes are you resetting the BIOS for??? It can't set itself to manual parameters and then back to auto all by itself.

And as for leaving the jumper off for a couple of hours, where did you hear that one? are you waiting for inspiration? Razz

Do not flash the BIOS, reset the BIOS or anything else with the BIOS. Check to see that it's on auto detect if you really must, but check your cables first..

And don't listen to any bulls**t about BIOS FFS