FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Keyboard

input
Hi

I have a dell inspiron and recently my keyboard has been acting up. Some of the keys seem to merge into each other. eg. if i press "d" the letter "s" also comes up. It only appears to be on the left hand side of the keyboard.

Ive tried reprogramming it by pressing f12 at the start up but i can only do one of the tests and if it does work it only lasts a little while. Sometimes it fixes itself and works fine.

I was wondering if anyone could help me as its only 7months old and is a real annoyance when it comes to doing any work on it.

Thank you in advance
dayers
Are you sure you aren't hitting 2 keys at once while you are typing ? They are right next to each other. Another question is how long has this been happening ? Has it done this since you bought it or has just been recently ? Since it is still under warranty, Dell should be able to help you.
Have you called them ?
SoftStag
This is a faulty keyboard. It happens quite a lot on cheap keyboards. If it is still under warranty then you should contact Dell, otherwise just buy a new one.
romaop
That's really odd. Never happened to me. Better change it, use your warranty!
MyITLab
Do you eat while you use your laptop? Perhaps some sticky food, juice or whatever got inside the keyboard. This happened to me when I spilled orange juice all over my workstation. Try "shaking off" the stuff off the keyboard, if that doesn't work, you may have to disassemble the keyboard from the laptop and clean it off.
Clash
MyITLab wrote:
Do you eat while you use your laptop? Perhaps some sticky food, juice or whatever got inside the keyboard. This happened to me when I spilled orange juice all over my workstation. Try "shaking off" the stuff off the keyboard, if that doesn't work, you may have to disassemble the keyboard from the laptop and clean it off.

Yup, sounds like dirt in the keybaord to me. Usually you can remove the key portion from a laptop quite easily to clean under it. Have a look at the keyboard to see if this is possible.

Then again it's a Dell Crying or Very sad