FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A good windows version for web server...

dan751
I am thinking of setting up a web server, running Windows of course, I need to know what version of Windows would be good. 2000, NT, XP? OR?
decimi
Windows Server or NT.

Linux would be best. I don't know which, maybe Debian?
dan751
No, Linux will not be used for this server. Windows NT would then probably be best. I think.
Nyizsa
Yes, WinNT is a good choice.
Remember one thing: WinXP Home edition DOESN'T include IIS!!!
Of course, if you plan to use a different web server software (Apache would be a good choice), you can also use WinXP Home.
Xeniczone
I would go with for windows Go with windows nt.

windows nt is old and is cheap so you can pick it up for a reasonable price and it will work as a webserver.

WARNING: before hosting anything on the web check with your service provider if they don't let users host on there web service then they could charge you, remove your internet, even go as far as confiscate your computer. Depends on the lisence agreement you signed onto.
HL9881
I think Window 2000 is the best.

It has not many bugs and it is more easy to control.

And you want to set a server using window's IIS or other software?
NoRemorseMusic
windows server nt has some errors, this allows people to possibly get passwords on your server if you are not secure enough.
twinkle99
If you wanna host your website from your computer. The Best OS would be Microsoft Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition/Webserver Edition

The advantage of Windows 2003 Server is, it is very fast then compared to Windows 2000.
It has all the services required to create a webserver.

Linux is not the better choice. As you cannot enjoy the features of asp,asp.net1.1 or asp.net 2.0.
But on windows you can enjoy all the features including Perl,Php,Python,Java etc.

So Better Stuck with windows.

If you want any help please reply to this post.
swizzy
Windows Server 2008, is highly recommended, it makes for a very secure OS

if you want to use Apache then Windows 2000 is more recommended and stable as compared to other windows versions (somewhere i saw, the machine with the highest uptime of >2000 days was a windows 2000 based)
BlueVD
Windows 2k server family or Windows NT.
These are the ones I used way back to host sites on win with IIS... And these do fit the requirements. The rest (XP, 2003, Vista or whatever) are to bloated and way to slow to be able to do a propper job.
BrianElliott0218
Now I know that will draw some fire, but here's why:
If you install SP and then do your IIS install, then update to SP2, you will be running a fine IIS server.

If you have a full SP2 install disc you might be ok, but do NOT install the SP1, then the SP2 update and then try to install your IIS. You will not be able to without many hairs pulled out.

It's better to simply start with the IIS installed in SP1.

Have fun!

Move to Linux, it's just more secure and more stable too.

Windows isn't a low cost installation. Cost of ownership soars.

Good luck!
~BE
adeydas
Try Windows Server 2003. Our college's Oracle server runs on it and its pretty good.
adeydas
alternatively you may try Windows XP Pro with Apache or IIS installed.
{name here}
dan751 wrote:
I am thinking of setting up a web server, running Windows of course, I need to know what version of Windows would be good. 2000, NT, XP? OR?

Try a server edition. There are several out there, the most recent if I remember right is 2003 Server Edition. That's going to be your best shot if you want to power a server with Windows as it should have everything you need to start one up except for a good internet connection, of course.
JayBee
It depends what webserver you want. If you want it only for closed network (home, office or company network) it don't mind what version of windows do you use (for example Win 2k). But if you want to have public web server, I would recommend newest server OS like windows 2003 with all service packs.
internetjobs
use windows 2003 web edition..
Studio Madcrow
How many people are going to be using your server? If it's just a few people, chances are that you can just keep on using whatever you're currently using and install a web server to run in the background. If things really do get to the point of needing a dedicated server, I would avoid Windows altogether and use a better server OS like CentOS Linux or Solaris.
Aiuspaktyn
If you want to try, on micro$oft web site, there is the trial of Windows Home Server...
I have used it, it's very interesting, you can use it also as a Media Center...
simplyw00x
Quote:
Linux is not the better choice. As you cannot enjoy the features of asp,asp.net1.1 or asp.net 2.0.

OH NO I CAN'T USE ASP. WHICH IS BY THE WAY JUST ONE FEATURE NOT 3. BUT OH NO I CAN'T USE IT.

Sigh.

Last time asp used in a real (non-MS) website? 1927.
adeydas
Win NT or 2003 would be a good choice!!!
rvec
-close-
next time just report it and in the description ask the mod/admin to close the topic.