FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hobbies that Pay

prepkid
I tutor. One third grader in writing and one fourth grader in math, that is.
It's really fun- I love to teach! And besides, I get paid Smile

Are there anyone else out there who have hobbies that pay? I've heard of someone who models...
wumingsden
prepkid wrote:
I tutor. One third grader in writing and one fourth grader in math, that is.
It's really fun- I love to teach! And besides, I get paid Smile

Are there anyone else out there who have hobbies that pay? I've heard of someone who models...

Not many of my friends know but I model quite a bit too. I haven't told them because basically they don't need to know - another reason is they think thats its a womans job not a 16yr old male. I got noticed after being a double in a film 5 years ago. I prefer modelling to acting though anyday.
Mumpay
mmmm, do be posting some of your model pics! let's see, lets see! *bounces excitedly and says "eeeee"*

Wink

my hobby is chinchillas. i breed, but you dont make money from breeding unless you go large scale (1000+). But I buy their supplies in bulk, and sell the rest. I started an online store, I make more products myself by hand, and that's made me a fair bit of money. Well not a lot, but it's paid for all the chinchillas and their food and a few vet bills so far. not bad Smile
dorn27
I have just started up a hobby/business. I breed Bridgesii Apple Snails for fresh water aquariums. Most snails you see in petstores are yellow or black, but I'm breeding pinks, purples, blues and ivory colored snails. They are so cute, I know that sounds wierd, but you grow to love them! And gosh are they easy to love in these colors!
wumingsden
Mumpay wrote:
mmmm, do be posting some of your model pics! let's see, lets see! *bounces excitedly and says "eeeee"*

Wink

my hobby is chinchillas. i breed, but you dont make money from breeding unless you go large scale (1000+). But I buy their supplies in bulk, and sell the rest. I started an online store, I make more products myself by hand, and that's made me a fair bit of money. Well not a lot, but it's paid for all the chinchillas and their food and a few vet bills so far. not bad Smile

Maybe Embarassed
Code of Ruin
Hmm, interesting array of money-making hobbies. No moddeling for me, I look like something that has recently been awoken from his grave and walks the world of man once again. I don't breed dogs or snails, everything in my vincity dies somehow. No I am good at making money with creating web page's from time to time and I drive around for car rental agencies sometime so I get to drive really beautifull cars.
marioflory
When I was a teenager, 2 friends and I founded a disco-team. We organised dance-parties, nice gettogethers just to have a great time. I really liked the time spent with building up the stereo, light equipment and organising food and drinks. After some time, we had 200+ quests and earned money with that, so we could buy the music and light equipment, which we had only borrowed before. I always had a great time, got to know my two friends very well, even in hard situations.
So this was how I earned my first money. I think it was a good experience.
shortNstout
I collect sports memorabilia first hand. I'm not sure that it will be extremely profitable, but it's fun.
ladyrobina
I bred Pomeranium dogs for a while. The only problem with any animals is that most of the profits go on vet's bills, so I didn't make much out of it. I loved the dog's though. It was always sad to part with the puppies.
billingsniteowl
I started messing with magic about 12 years ago. Wandered into a small magic shop while out running errands. Picked up a couple small, simple effects. Tried them on friends and family, loved the response so got more into it. As I watched, read and understood more of the art, I realized I was really good at it, and good at figuring out new things. So all these years later I'm putting together a full stage show and working evenings doing walk around stuff at a local bar. Currently in the works, I'm designing a new cutting a person in half effect....done lenghtwise.
Gieter
Robbing banks and shops is my favourite pastime. The fun of pointing a gun towards someone who is very scared from you, all the money you get, the feeling of being omnipotent, etc. are all factors that made me decide "I should do this more often." And know it has become my favourite pastime, and I'm earning quite some money from it!

PS: joking. I don't have a pastime that pays, unfortunately enough. Sad
theo
i haven't got a job yet
but i shall find a job which i enjoy
otherwise, life becomes boring
lazyme
No job...so i collect/sell/trade stamps...
Tiger
dorn27 wrote:
I have just started up a hobby/business. I breed Bridgesii Apple Snails for fresh water aquariums. Most snails you see in petstores are yellow or black, but I'm breeding pinks, purples, blues and ivory colored snails. They are so cute, I know that sounds wierd, but you grow to love them! And gosh are they easy to love in these colors!

I just had to comment on this - that's such an interesting hobby - so unusual. I know that some people's hobbies are sports, like paragliding or windsurfing. But breeding snails must be the most interesting and unusual thing I've ever heard of!

I know that Oprah has often said that the best way to get rich is off something you're deeply interested in. Your hobby sounds like a true niche market. Who knows, you could even write and sell an e-book on the subject.

Your hobby is really cool - definitely the most original I've heard of in a long time! Congrats!
52tease
This has to be the most interesting topic in this section of the forums. Great question!

I have always been a big fan of t-shirts (without really realizing it). I've always been complimented on my shirts of choice, ever since middle school. For a birthday present several years ago, a girlfriend and I collected twenty-five of my old t-shirts and sent them off to have them made into a t-shirt quilt. It's a pretty amazing piece of art and memory.

About a year-and-a-half ago I decided to start up a t-shirt company using an online printer. Through them I've been able to design a new t-shirt every week. Although I make some money on this, it isn't my "day job".

I really love it as a hobby, though, because it has introduced me to more complex HTML and CSS, marketing and advertising, and other aspects of business.

I used to collect comic books (a hobby that can quickly become expensive), and now I'm proud to say that I have one of the few hobbies that actually pays me to pursue it.
indeedwrestling
Pro-Wrestling.
Some federations offer a kickback for ticket sales. Other times, you can actually work your way up the chain to get paid to appear on shows or sell merchandise at them. However, I'd say 99% of the people I know involved have spent way more than they'll ever take it. Thus, it's a hobby - not a job. =)
12eaper
Gaming Pro gaming earns me money.
blundar
At first, my hobby was about having some nice photo equipment and getting good at using it. Then I started getting a few paying gigs (weddings, car shows, family events, and portraits). Now I have models that come to me for portfolio photos. I am now a contributing photographer for a few websites:
http://www.importfx.net/
http://www.gx2gmodels.com/
http://www.camodelinc.com/

Here is my "MySpace" page:
http://www.myspace.com/gemphoto

I still keep getting booked for wedding, car shows, family portraits also to help offset equipment costs; But by far the models are much more fun to work with.

Rough hobby, but someone has to do it! =)
Nologico
well... I do webdesign... I got paid once ... Cool

hopefully not last time... Laughing
dz9c
Nologico wrote:
well... I do webdesign... I got paid once ... Cool

hopefully not last time... Laughing

I want that to happen to me. It almost has so many times but never went through. You can get paid just for updating sites, sounds cool to me.
apistos
Im trying to make money by breeding fish, currently I'm trying to breed apistogramma biteaeniata. Just enough to help pay for my fishkeeping expenses.
Guyon
Music is a great hobby that pays, I was in a band in high school and still talk to many of the members 30 years later!

Photography started as a hobby for me and ended up up as a career. Which then turned in to 3d modeling which turned in to a career. I never would have been as good at 3d modeling and animation if it was not for photography.
Guyon
WOW apistos,
That is interesting, I had fished as a pet for 8 years and know how though that will actually be. Though i never raised them I do know how hard that is. I did raise a angel fish for the size of my thumbnail to the size of my palm.

I really wish you luck in your bobby and would be interested to hear how the fish farming actually turns out.
apistos
So far I've only accidentally managed to breed panda cories. I just got the apistos yesterday.
blundar
I also started dabbling in stock photography. That is actually working out quite well. I am currently getting a nice check in the mail every month and the revenues seem to be growing steadily.

I'll have to look more into this source of revenue to see how I can maximize my profits. I'll buy some books on the subject to see what the "experts are doing" to be successfull.
cloudship
get paid or to pay others?

a horrible hobby for paying othres, he must be very rich
screamingdecay
Does gaming count ;P
Synaesthetik
I spose my hobbie would be mixing, i have never been paid by someone that i dont know to do a gig but ive played at a few parties organised by friends and i got some money out of that. Very Happy getting money out of someone u dont know to mix would be really cool though. Laughing
Kai
I develope sigs, templates and site banners for money. Razz
computer_tom
wow, alot of people know how to make money, if only i knew lol
SteveTheInvestor
enough said.
DeFwh
Go play cevo and win some money
CrookedBlaze
I do photography.

I spent about $1000 so far on my printer ($300 O.O) and my camera ($700)

BUt I've made $800 this last year just in taking pictures. I just recently (2 weeks ago) got my printer and that has contributed to $100 of that.

It's an expensive but wonderful hobby. And it gives me a job so I don't have to work at Longs bagging groceries.

And depending on my day/mood, I break ponies for people that want them rideable for their kids. My horse just had a horrific back injury and is unrideable, so I figured why not ride when I can. I also make good money for that.

LMFAO I don't have hobbies, I have money making opportunities.
nozgarth
i create some sites for some buisness in town and iI get wee payed.
it's growing fast and i think i am going to stop my regular job for it!!!
Svarn
This is a very good topic with some interesting hobbies and some expected ones (web design on a free hosting site? I am shocked!). I like to fix computer problems in my spare time, software or hardware - most often this is just pro bono but occasionally its for a buck. I am sure it could be more lucrative but then you couldn't call it a hobby any more.

Laughing
girlcalledjay
I cruise outlet stores and clearance sales and pick up cheap and funky clothes for an absolute bargain and then I sell them on eBay.

I can triple or quadruple my outlay on most items...sometimes only double my money!!!

The interesting thing I've noticed is that the majority of my customers are from the country. I guess it's not always easy to get city fashions in the country.

It's a good hobby and a good way to make some extra cash...and I LOVE to shop anyway. At least my husband doesn't get mad when I come home with piles of new clothes these days Smile
quixotic
girlcalledjay wrote:
I cruise outlet stores and clearance sales and pick up cheap and funky clothes for an absolute bargain and then I sell them on eBay.

I can triple or quadruple my outlay on most items...sometimes only double my money!!!

The interesting thing I've noticed is that the majority of my customers are from the country. I guess it's not always easy to get city fashions in the country.

It's a good hobby and a good way to make some extra cash...and I LOVE to shop anyway. At least my husband doesn't get mad when I come home with piles of new clothes these days :)

I do that too! Except that I go to Goodwill, get some cheap t-shirts with nice designs on them, and make skirts that I then sell. It's great.

I also make LJ layouts in my spare time, though I doubt I'll be making money off that any time soon. :P
rusayub
Drumming can be considered as a such hobby. On the one hand it is only a hobby, taking your time, but on the other hand some time later it will be a real way of earning a plenty of money (playing in various bands, helping them in recording and much more). But before getting any money from this hobby you should work hard for a very long time. I know it because i have a freind, who is a drummer.
elh_merc
I do blacksmithing as a hobby. Selling diffrent things I make just for fun brings in good amount of money for the time invested. It's still just a hobby though and most of the money I make from it just goes right back into it.
martichka
Hello!

Well me, my hobby, is piano!!

I'm an pianist and I really love that! And its, we can say, my second job!
I always play, do concerts, teach... and I get paid for that while I'm having fun!

Well, I wish you have same pleasure doing ur hobby as me Smile

Very Happy

Have a nice day!

Tommy.
magneto_ms
Web design all the way. I like doing it and it often pays. Hey, if any of you guys want a nice website or layout designed, just message me..Smile

Regards,
Magneto.
OpposableThumbs
computer_tom wrote:
wow, alot of people know how to make money, if only i knew lol

I agree. I never really thought about making money through the hobbies I have. I guess people pay me for the computers I've built, but only for parts, never for labor.

I know someone who repairs antique watches and then sells them. I think he makes a pretty good living at it, though he has complained about how expensive it can be to buy initially broken watches.

For me the trouble is that I can't really think of a hobby I would like to do that would also make a few bucks.
miacps
I make a little money off my hobby, not quite as much as I'd like though. Wink

It's pretty good because the plants just do their thing. It's sort of like growing your own cash. Of course, the hobby itself took a good amount of initial investment before it gave anything back beside enjoyment. When I take that into consideration, it makes me wonder if I've broken even or not.
profbis
I am good in browsing web and finding information. The problem is implementation of ideas. Like my brother said, one must have small achievable target. Setting an achievable target will propel towards your next achievable target. So if you have a hobby, and you want to turn it into business, set achievable targets.
nisibdv
I think that teaching cannot be a hobby. I think that a hobby has to do more with things that are done for oneself, for example to being teached, not to teach. And of course if you get money by doing that it is definitively not a hobby, it is cold work for extra money.
freeshann
I have quite a lot of hobbies and I am trying to slowly make money from them. I sew mostly, and I have 2 little children, so my combination there becomes making baby things.
I have started to get into buying clothing and stuff from op shops (2nd hand/Salvation Army....etc dont know what you call them in other countries) and then making them into something else. A couple of years ago my brother had a wardrobe audit!! by a couple of girls! and he ended up with 2 big rubbish bags full of clothes he wasnt allowed to keep! That was the start of my recreating. My baby not only got a couple of pants made up from old jeans but also got nappies and sleeping bags made from shirts and t-shirts!
That is fun. I really do need to do more of that.
I love that idea of crusing the outlet malls and then selling the stuff on ebay! great thinking, I might have to try that too! Dont worry, I live in New Zealand so I wont steal your market!
freeshann
I have recently been growing roses from cuttings and a few of them have taken off really well, I was thinking of using them in my own garden and maybe putting some in nice pots and giving them to friends, but I wonder if I could make some cash out of that too. That would be cool.
I guess it is a bit of a risk though cause roses can get very easily deseased, and I dont know anything about them, it is just kinda happening by fluke, but all these people talking about making money from breeding plants is getting me thinking!!
kogoot
Yeah, I'm earning money on taking photos and writing some articles for mtb magazine - but I treat it only as a hobby and it's not a really 'good' money - it's more like pocket money.
jwellsy
Gold prospecting can bring in a bit of money.