FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who can beat me?

Lennon
I'm going to argue that black is white and white is black.
For the first person to prove that I'm wrong using theorems or laws of nature I will give them 50FRIH$. This is a rediculous statement I make, but I want challenges.

So Black is White and White is Black. Black and white are both the same frequency/wavelength of light, and they have the same properties. The problem is perspective, is the glass half empty or half full.
RiCtee
Challenges......not bad. What is it that makes you associate the word "black" with the colour that's the darkest one which in fact is called black?? The same is with "white" and any other colours. If that doesn't make sense, what about the number 0, what is it that makes you think there's nothing?? This is called abstract thinking. You do it everytime you count how much that hamburger costs.

If every newborn child is tought that black is white and white is black, in a sense that it's different from what we learned. Then, when all us original thinkers die, black will become white and white will become black. Vice versa.

I don't think this has anything to do with laws or Science but something like Philosophy. Think Oh well.....just think about it.
hobbes
If a child is taught that black is white and vice versa, there would be no difference. You are just changing the name, not the actual thing.
Lennon
Exactly my point, zero and infinity are both the same coin, just two sides of the same coin. Black and White are just two terms that are used to describe absolute colour. They are scientifically equivalent so Black is white and white is black.
Helios
White can be purple. The Human is the one who have decided about the names.

Think about color blind people. What do they see?

Dude, no one can win in your challange.
Lennon
you can, I know how, there is an answer, and the one you can get it wins.
Helios
Well. I'll try then Smile

White contains all colors, while black absorbs all colors.
Animal
Black:

Dictionary.com wrote:
1. The achromatic color value of minimum lightness or maximum darkness; the color of objects that absorb nearly all light of all visible wavelengths; one extreme of the neutral gray series, the opposite being white. Although strictly a response to zero stimulation of the retina, the perception of black appears to depend on contrast with surrounding color stimuli.

3. Complete or almost complete absence of light; darkness.

White:

Dictionary.com wrote:
The achromatic color of maximum lightness; the color of objects that reflect nearly all light of all visible wavelengths; the complement or antagonist of black, the other extreme of the neutral gray series. Although typically a response to maximum stimulation of the retina, the perception of white appears always to depend on contrast.

If the dictionary says that White is White and Black is Black, then it must be so!
Lennon
Yes, exactly the answer I can't argue with that I was looking for. Compare and contrast, and with light contrast is the technique used to resolve dark from light. Simple english is that comparisions show relationship and contrast shows difference. Hence if you show contrast between black and white you show that they're different. Just a simple logic, english and basic science quiz.

Other arguements I had lined up were only three colours are needed for white light, (white is not always all colours) - red, blue and green. three colours are needed for black light, cyan yellow and magenta. Black and white light are complementary, relative and scientifically equivalent. Of course there is no such thing as black light but that would've sparked off the arguement again.

This thread is ready to be closed.