FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do TV Shows make profit?

picsite
It's always a question I've pondered. How do TV shows make money to pay their actors/actresses? It seems like with Survivor paying out a million to its winners and many other shows running at much greater costs that its hard to make a profit.

THATS not the only thing, what i mean to say is where do they get paid from? The media companies that run their shows?
xorcist
From all of the commercials during the breaks. Other companies that want to advertise becaue they know alot of people watch that show so they are going to want to advertise during that hour. Just like during the superbowl they know alot of people watch that so peole pay so much money just to have like a 10 secound commercial, and they know that people might thing of them the nex ttime they want to buy a product of their's.
mckenneth
some companies sponsor some showsss... or sponsor the artists... like provide clothes for them... in this case, both of em benifit... artist gets free clothes to wear on their shows, sponsors get the advertisement they want...
Scaramanga
What xorcist said. Also a lot of TV series are finding a lucrative market in DVD sales, more so now than ever before.
Blaster
xorcist wrote:
From all of the commercials during the breaks. Other companies that want to advertise becaue they know alot of people watch that show so they are going to want to advertise during that hour. Just like during the superbowl they know alot of people watch that so peole pay so much money just to have like a 10 secound commercial, and they know that people might thing of them the nex ttime they want to buy a product of their's.
That is right. That and have sponsers. Like in despert Housewives they all drive Toyotta cars, trucks, and suvs.
picsite
but some shows like rome or empire cost a LOT of money...like 100's of millions...do they really get it only from sponsors? Nothing else?
gh0stface
Like someone already stated, a lot of profits also come from commercials. If the show is one of the most popular ones, stations will charge a high fee just to showcase that commercial.

Take a look at the Super Bowl. Commercials showcased through the game ranged pretty much starting in the millions.
Scaramanga
picsite wrote:
but some shows like rome or empire cost a LOT of money...like 100's of millions...do they really get it only from sponsors? Nothing else?

Well Rome is an HBO production, and as they are a premium cable channel, that's how THEY make money. Also, as I said earlier, a lot of studios have discovered how lucrative DVD sales can be.
rightclickscott
Advertising during the superbowl costs more that $1.5 million.
ChrisCh
picsite wrote:
It's always a question I've pondered. How do TV shows make money to pay their actors/actresses? It seems like with Survivor paying out a million to its winners and many other shows running at much greater costs that its hard to make a profit.

THATS not the only thing, what i mean to say is where do they get paid from? The media companies that run their shows?

TV shows themselves DO NOT make profit from on-air advertising. it is the TV networks that make their money from advertising. some of the money gained from the ads and sponsors pay the licensing fees for the show (if a tv show is produced by any company other than the actual TV network itself, the network must pay the respestive company money in order to screen such copyrighted material) it is these licensing fees that fund tv shows.

if a show is produced by the network that is screening it (for example, CBS are one of the studios involved in Everybody Loves Raymond) then the advertising and sponsor revenue can go straight to production costs, and actually works out cheaper in the long run, because they may earn money from licensing their show to other networks in other countries. and as Scaramanga mentioned, they can also then release these shows onto DVD.

hope this answers your question thoroughly! if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
biggyb
simple... with TAX when u pay ur TAX's and Commercials... when u watch commercials other companys pay for you to show the commercials
enricoc
Quote:
How do TV Shows make profit?

They make profit with you that watch them!
hcjgh
Its really easy. Every station you watch the show on has to pay sometzhing to the author of the show. You may think that is little money but think. There are over a million stations in a world and even if only 200.000 its still a lot of money.---do the math:)
alkady
Well there is millions of way this works, You just need to be creative.

A reality tv show such as survivor usually shows on a bunch of networks. Dont imagine that if it cost $30 M to make the serie one tv network would pay $30 M in a shot. They usually include a profit, divide it amongs the networks and then divide it between the amount of episodes. So say 5 network broadcast survivor at $60 M, Thats $12 M a network or $500,000.00 for 24 episode which networks generate on ads. And since Survivor is usually on primetime the ads are expensive.
kevinyuyu
commercials during the breaks .. and the DVD released after the show.. and i guess those brand appeared in the show .. these compaies would pay for that
PleoMaster
They gain actually quite alot of profit from Commercials and Breaks. People pay like thousands to have there advertisements on TV.
blk3
I'd say though advertisements and DVD sales. also when a tv show is syndicated to other countries.
brokenadvice
The biggest money maker for programs is syndication. One of the networks will sell the rights to broadcast the reruns well into the future for large amounts of money. TBS bought shows like the office and others, and now they play them ad nauseum, reaping the advertisement revenue weekly.
Enterprise
This is quite interesting, hadn't really thought about it before. Now what I want to know is how do they know how many viewers they have for a particular show. I know they have those survey things that people do, but that doesn't seem to me like it'd be enough to get the specific numbers they're always spewing out. Where's their data come from?
jwahl16
Shows get paid by the commercial breaks. The companies pay the shows for a certain amount of commercial time. The more viewers a show has the higher a company will pay to advertise their product!
Rajiev
WOW,

1.5 Mill for a commercial Surprised Surprised Surprised

ANd ya, SOm Shows have advertisements inbuilt. Like 24 had thier agents use motorolla phones.

Some shows clearly shows ing the make of the Computer like dell or VAIO :p This is done a lot than we notice.
soljarag
commercials, dvd sales, online ads, prop placement..cable company..... ect, ect
adfreak
when you watch a certain TV show your cable TV operator has a device that stores the data that which viewer is watching which TV channel at what time? So say if survivor is on air at 9pm & you are watching it then the device your cable operator has generates the data that is accessible to TV channels this way they guess whether how much viewers are watching their show....

for more info you can visit:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question433.htm