FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The best freeware IDE for C/C++?

4ndY
I need recommendation for some IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for C/C++, but it must be freeware or sth like that Smile

I dont need huge and complex things like VisualC, ... -> most of my programs are command_line based. Projects and that stuff arn't needed, too.

Im using currently Dev-cpp and its great, but Help is useless (missing ctrl+F1 Razz ). TurboC - great, but too old (old compiler and libs). DJGPP - the best, but very unstable on WinXP.

Are there any betters?
cyph33r
I have seen a few IDEs that are free including some cross-platform ones that run on the Java Virtual Machine.

Code::Blocks IDE is an open source, cross platform free C++ IDE. It can be found at http://www.codeblocks.org.
I have not used it personally so i don't know if it will suite your needs.

One of the best freely available development environments is definitely Eclipse. You can find information at http://www.eclipse.org.
For C/C++ development you should look at the Eclipse CDT,
which is the Eclipse C/C++ IDE that is available for different platforms (Unix, Windows, Solaris).
I can recommed this as I currently using it and it works great !
kimrei
I don't like eclipse that much, it really annoyed me by putting package statements at the beggining of all my .java files and is in general far too automated
I suggest that you stick with Dev-c++, there's documentation at http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/doc/index.html +it's my favorite c++ IDE by far, though Code Blocks is pretty good
4ndY
Ive been using dev-cpp for a long time... but as u can see, no new versions come out - development of devcpp has stoped. Ver. 4 is good and ver. 5 (beta) is better but too buggy (watch doesnt work at all). Will ver.5 ever come out from beta? Dont know. So im just testing and playing with Code::Blocks - very promising, but one thing irritate me - i cant compile source while project isnt open and in the same dir with source (anyone know solution? maybe some option?).
Antoine_935
Under windows use Dev-C++
Under linux anjuta or Eclipse
Qweertyy
Yea, Dev-C++ is the best compiler, i've used it for about 3 years now and I haven't had any problems with it.
www.blodshed.net is the "company" that makes it, or at least that's the website for it. Smile

If you need help with a code you can post it here and I'll try to help you.

Signed,
Qwerty
4ndY
Qweertyy wrote:
Yea, Dev-C++ is the best compiler, i've used it for about 3 years now and I haven't had any problems with it.
www.blodshed.net is the "company" that makes it, or at least that's the website for it. Smile

the best?
buggy watch and debugging, often crashing, useless help, ... and finaly it has stopped with develop Sad

and where r some usefull features like in Code::Blocks? minimizing parts of code (like functions, loops, ...); automatic system("pause") for command line programs, ... nothing.
kiranaghor
If u are using mac, then go for Xcode 2. It is the BEST!
I use Dev CPP on windows.
martindecorte
If you just need a simple IDE, for command line programs & without useless gadgets, you could think of using a text editor with syntax highlighting. I'm thinking of EditPad or Textpad, for which you can also define file-depending personalised actions (like compiling, running the executable, ...).