FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Best Security?

Scorpio
I would like to know your opinions on the best security for your system.
Please elaborate if you can as to why it is good
Very Happy
yjwong
Firewall - ZoneAlarm Firewall
Antivirus - McAffee Antivirus/AVG Free Edition
Antispyware - Windows Defender/McAffee Antispyware
Animal
There are many aspects to computer security. Yjwong's post above covers things like firewall, anti-virus and spyware, however doesn't cover data protection or communications encryption.

My personal favourites:
Anti-Virus - AVG Free Edition
Firewall - ZoneAlarm Free Edition
Anti-Spyware - Windows Defender and Ad-Aware and Spybot. Use all 3 to guarantee safety - some spyware elements are not detected by one or other of these programs.

In terms of keeping your computer running properly and clearing out (potentiall unsafe) temp files, ccleaner is great.

Email Encryption - OpenPGP is second to none and is totally free. You need a few different components, and my site has a good guide on setting this up.
Data Encryption - TrueCrypt allows you to create hidden and encrypted virtual hard disks. Encryption is real-time.
Instant Messaging Encryption - MobilityIM. This works with MSN, AIM, ICQ, AOL, Jabber, Gtalk and Yahoo messenger services.
Ranfaroth
The best security begins with the most secure OS. So goodbye Windows™...
drpiga
Any security software is smarter than human brain,so don't push your fingers to clicking everything on your desktop machine.
harvy
Definitely the best antivirus software I was using is NOD32!!! It's winning Virus Bulletin 100% reward from years. they are testing AV software in their labolatories each months. In every test NOD32 rulez! Symantec and other soft is behind NOD32.
win66
For antivirus , I think etrust is a good choice. Very Happy
Animal
Please get back on topic - if you are discussing anti-virus solutions, have a look at this thread. If people continue to post solely about anti-virus, I'll close this thread.
charredii
i'm really interested in what everyone has to say about the firwall they use.
Kd527
My best security is Mac OS X. I don't have to worry about viruses, or any of that stuff. On windoze (which I rarely use) I have a variety of software including Symantec Antivirus, Adaware...
deleenheir
I use.
Antivirus: avast personal.
Firewall: zone alarm.
Spyware: adaware personal.

Those are three excellent programs and they are all three freeware. Although they are freeware they are regularly updated.[/b]
superhp
Firstly, you must to watch is your personal computer can play it?
If you have very good and fast personal computer, you can use: Norton production of something else like this. It will really be a god secuirity program. But it will requires a lot of your computer's resources.
If you have slower computer, or you want that your personal computer will be faster and anti virus would not "eat" your computers resources i suggest for you to choose of this: Kaspersky 5, Nod32 2.5 or somethink else. I think it is better than norton or tsomethink. I use Nod32 and i am happy. It is not cost a lot. And the most important is that your computer is fast how your dont have anti virus. Wink

So i suggest for you NOD32!!! Idea
looksbad
harvy wrote:
Definitely the best antivirus software I was using is NOD32!!! It's winning Virus Bulletin 100% reward from years. they are testing AV software in their labolatories each months. In every test NOD32 rulez! Symantec and other soft is behind NOD32.

Hes got it right spot on bang on the nail. NOD32 offers the best detection rates than any other A-V vendor. With low memory usage high detection rates and great reviews from many companies you cant go wrong.

So.. :

A-V: NOD32 www.eset.com
Firewall: Zone Alarm (pro would be better but free does a good job) www.zonelabs.com

Anti-Spyware: My setup consists of Ad-aware www.lavasoft.com Spybot search & destroy (google it) Windows defender.

Crap Cleaner
Process Gaurd Free version ( great for stopping rootkits and anything from executing.

I would never ever choose Symantec (Norton) ever again there resource hungry software with bad detection rates massive updates lack of support and general rubbishness = dont use it +waste of money and over expensive.

Just because you use Mac doesnt mean your 100% safe. As some may know there are alot of viruses on Mac and alot of windows viruses effect mac aswell... So just because your running Mac doesnt mean your safe.
I personally would never run a Mac or any other pc connected to the internet without decent A-V software and a Firewall!!
Rocky3478
looksbad wrote:
Just because you use Mac doesnt mean your 100% safe. As some may know there are alot of viruses on Mac and alot of windows viruses effect mac aswell... So just because your running Mac doesnt mean your safe.
I personally would never run a Mac or any other pc connected to the internet without decent A-V software and a Firewall!!

True, we Mac users aren't 100% immune. There are I belive 2 known trojans as we speak for Macs, but these require you to enter an admin password before anything can happen. So really, if you know why you're entering your password and for what software, then you won't have a problem. It can't auto-enter the information for you..... Wink

With that said, we do have to be considerate of Windows users. Mac computers can transmit one of the many PC viruses without knowing it, since it doesn't do anything to the computer.

There aren't any dangerous cross-platform viruses that I'm aware of. I'd double-check your stats.... Wink

- Running happily without anti-virus and OS X 10.4.5 for 6 months on a PPC Powerbook. Cool
dark inca
HI all,

I think the best protection is pluging the modem out Razz

Here they compared a few "anti-malware" progs: http://cybercoyote.org/security/anti-malware.shtml

Here is a site who compares a few virus scanners: http://www.av-comparatives.org/
Here they compared firewalls: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/firewalls/fullstory.html
And anti-spyware: http://www.webrankinfo.com/english/seo-news/topic-211.htm

I use Mcafee security suite, and spy sweeper, and adaware.
Also use Firefox, less bugs, more plugins then IE.

I also use hijackthis, because some malware is also visible inhere, but you must now what you are doing with it, because else, you got a serious problem.
{name here}
Best security software? I don't have any. I just run a Limited User account under Windows 2000. I never got a virus and my computer performs like a charm. Of course, adware and spyware can still get to me, so I run the A-Squared scanner once in a while...

But if I need true security, I just run eComStation and no virus can touch me(because its obscure enough to be virus free)...
dark inca
Indead a Limited User account can't install everything, So also spyware can't install themselves, so youre saver with a limited then an admin user account.
r_y_e_20
i sticked with my Norton for antivirus. It can sweep spywares too. My Microsoft cannot and Norton amazingly did it. Spywares are hell disturbing, and i got mad with it. Thanks to Norton.
Clash
r_y_e_20 wrote:
i sticked with my Norton for antivirus. It can sweep spywares too. My Microsoft cannot and Norton amazingly did it. Spywares are hell disturbing, and i got mad with it. Thanks to Norton.

Norton is rubbish.

I have tested it on viruses that AVG picked up but Norton sailed right past them as if they weren't there.

And these were old viruses (over three months old)

Bin your Norton and get something better. Just a waste of money.
Animal
dark inca wrote:
Indead a Limited User account can't install everything, So also spyware can't install themselves, so youre saver with a limited then an admin user account.

This is a really bad idea. You may be protected from some very basic viruses, but there are several exploits that allow programs to increase their user priviliges under a limited account. Rootkit viruses are also not stopped by a limited user account, so I highly recommend that you get some virus software and soon.

As you said, you are not protected from spyware and malware, however you should be extremely worried about a keylogger. If one exists on your system, all passwords / usernames / credit card details you have entered will be available to someone. If you use a firewall, you can stop the data going out your computer.

Critically, you have no protection against hackers - someone who knows what they are doing would probably be able to gain full control of your machine without much effort. If you have an "always-on" internet connection, this is extremely bad.
{name here}
FYI a cracker hacks into systems to steal info and stuff. A hacker does not.
For security reasons, I use eComStation when doing something serious in need of critical security. Windows 2000 is purely a toy on my machine. The worst password they can get off Windows 2000 is my qbasicnews.com password and a couple more to the crappiest sites I own(and a free Lycos e-mail account with faked obvoiusly faked address information). Really malware, spyware, and keyloggers won't get them anything of real importance that I can't just remake. I'd rather not waste hours scanning a 200 gig when I can take other precautions...
Animal
While I see your point, by not adequately securing your system, you are putting others at risk. Loads of the recent viruses use the infected machines as bots to launch DDOS attacks, route spam emails and send out copies of the virus to others. A simple, lightweight firewall won't really affect your system performance, but will improve security for yourself and many others.
{name here}
Kinda hard, though since while on windows:
1. I only go to forums and site I trust, usually created by an ameteur (I.E Qbasic Sites, YTMND, my sites) and keep a list of sites that contain crap that I block via untrusted sites list and adblock.
2. I use Opera and Firefox
3. 80% of the time, its for playing gunz: the duel
4. a-squared is on for spyware, a router against cracking(sure, it slows down the game a bit, but it keeps me safe).

However, I have installed a "lightweight firewall" for all intensive purposes just right now.
Indyan
Browser : Opera
AV : Kaspersky
Firewall : ZAP is better but it creates problem in my system .So i use KAH.
Antispyware : Webroot
windval
Antivirus - NOD32
Antispyware - Spybot

my computer has not got any virus since

i used them
efjay
You can try something like Defensewall http://www.softsphere.com/ Takes a different approach to security by allowing you to run applications with reduced priviledges so preventing them from modifying critical system resources.
dz9c
TrendMicro all the way, I also like ZoneAlarm security suites but a heads up, never use nortons
ehunter
Antivirus, firewall, anti-spyware programs are no use when a coumputer was already rootkited. Thus, more tools needed for your computer security:

Sysinternal's rootkit revealer

F-Secure's Blacklight

GMer

Hook Explorer

IceSword Download

And this one claimed "The first and best anti rootkit software" Process Guard
orcaz
Anti-Virus - avast
Firewall - Outpost Firewall
Anti-Spyware - Ad-Aware & Ewido

This combi will be good enuff actually... havent gotten any viruses for quite some time with this combination.
d4rch
Anti-Virus - Kaspersky Profesional
Firewall - Kerio (even if it is less efficient than Zone Alarm. But ZA always blocked everything and consumed many resources)
Anti-Spyware - Hitman Pro (the best solution to fight again the spyware ! I advise you to download it)

But the best way to protect your pc is a material firewall (any kind of good routers Razz)
tamilchild
Security is one important thing in modern internet world.

Each and every computer have anti- virus security.

Windows XP SP2 contain firewall(security). This firewall blocks the unwanted incomers

no firewall.
There is no way anysort of hacker etc could get through the multi layered firewalled system my isp uses.. Well im sure somone could but no one would care enough about my computer to want to break into it.

So yeah i don't run a software firewall
Al-Mo7tref
Antivirus - Kaspersky/AVG Free Edition
Antispyware -Adawre/McAffee Antispyware
d4rch
Quote:
Antivirus - Kaspersky/AVG Free Edition

Both together is not the best way to do. It can cause conflicts and become totally inefficient !

It's just an advice Surprised
Traveller
Not sure how this thread got as far as it did, but there is already an official thread for this topic, so please continue this discussion there.

-close-