FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Witch PHP board system is the best?

roeenoy
Witch PHP board system is the best?

there are a lot of options but i want just one for my site

so please help me with your opinion

IPB?
PHPBB?
SMF?

but there are much more

thank you
DoctorBeaver
I've been looking for 1 too. I checked out loads & narrowed it down to 3 - PhpBB, Snitz and Mercuryboard. I chose those 3 because I've seen examples of them all in action. There are 2 forums I regularly use that have PhpBB and 1 with Snitz. I've noticed some speed issues with the Snitz 1 so I'm now down to PhpBB or Mercuryboard. I've downloaded them both so I can evaluate them further, but I've got problems installing a PHP server to run them.
What I can already say, though, is that they both look good. PhpBB certainly seems to be reliable enough. However, as I said, I use 2 forums that have PhpBB and I've seen a few others, and they all look the same. On the Mercuryboard examples I've seen, there appears to be a lot more scope for customisation. I've got a colour scheme that I want to keep through my whole site, so customisation is very important to me. The similarity between the PhpBB sites may simply be that they've all used default settings; I'm not sure yet.
I'll post again when I've tried them both out.
In the meantime, if you find 1 that you think worth recommending, I'd be pleased to hear of it.
yjwong
IPB has the most features and it is the best I admit. But there comes a price. IPB is terribily expensive, so many people go for phpBB/SMF, because these are free, although they may be limited to functions. In conclusion, if you are somewhat rich, you should choose IPB. If you are setting up a personal forum or you wish to save money, use phpBB.
Arcath
SMF is by far the best if you want it for free, IPB is good, VB is better i think
NuniPio
SMF seems to be good...but phpbb is more widely used