FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

favicon???

vaoger
what is fav icon??
what the use of it??
and how to use it??
can anyone teach me??
testoo
A favicon is the little icon you can see next to your adressbar
e.g. X http://www.frihost.com/forums/
The fvicon is the X
Understood?
I think you can set up your favicon in the meta tag but the CMS make it for you!
AftershockVibe
Favicon basically allows you to give your webpage an icon for the address bar and favourites lists.

If you look at the top of this page you'll see FriHost has a blue "F" instead of the generic page icon.
You can use META tags to specify this but last time I checked this didn't work with Internet Explorer. The easiest way to do it is just to rename your icon to "favicon.ico" and stick it in the same directory your page is in.
vaoger
thwell thanks alot... i hav try to put a icon... name favicon.ico in it... it dont since to be workin to me.... well never mind at least i know what is it when someone is asking .....
thanks guys...
littlegiant
There's tons of tutorials all over the web on what favicons are and how to implement them. A quick search in Google will provide you with a truckload of info...

How to use favicons
Alie
Hey! It's easy Wink
How to insert:

Code:
<LINK REL="Shortcut Icon" HREF="http://www.yourdomain.com/favicon.ico">

How to create:
I've saw a plug-in for Adobe Photoshop CS1-2 that allows you to save your GIF files in ICO format. Plug-in's name IconBuilder XP.

By the way, favicons can be seen only in IE 5 and newer...
crazykamel
It seems to be working only with mozilla firefox...

IE really sucks Confused
Scorpio
It works with IE6 for sure

But I dont think anybody will have IE5 now.

Even IE6 is outdated, IE 5 would probably give more problems
littlegiant
crazykamel, IE can be a little quirky with favicons. I found the best thing to do is clear the browser history and cache (Tools >> Internet Options >> General tab >> Delete Files & Clear History) and then shut down and restart IE. Then go back to your site (where you have the favicion installed) and add the page to your Favorites. The favicon should then appear.
crazykamel
Thanks littlegiant, I'll try Smile
novisdesign
Thanks for that plug in. Works great. Also to note, icons are 16 x 16 pxls. So theres not much creativity that you can do.
dz9c
littlegiant wrote:
crazykamel, IE can be a little quirky with favicons. I found the best thing to do is clear the browser history and cache (Tools >> Internet Options >> General tab >> Delete Files & Clear History) and then shut down and restart IE. Then go back to your site (where you have the favicion installed) and add the page to your Favorites. The favicon should then appear.

Thats why you switch to a more meaningful browser. Firefox anyone?
littlegiant
I think what is the best or most 'meaningful' browser has little to do with this. When testing a favicon, most conscientious webmasters would want to make sure the favicon was fully functioning in all major browsers, not just their favorite.
GB
littlegiant wrote:
I think what is the best or most 'meaningful' browser has little to do with this. When testing a favicon, most conscientious webmasters would want to make sure the favicon was fully functioning in all major browsers, not just their favorite.

I agree. However, I've noticed that many browsers such as Safari and Firefox simply don't see my favicon no matter what I do. I want to make it appear in all browsers, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Oh well, a favicon isn't the most important part of a website. It is nice if people bookmark your site, though, that way they can find it easier.
littlegiant
Hmmm... That's funny. I find Firefox the browser that's most likely to successfully load a favicon and without even having to bookmark the site. In other words, the favicon will immediately appear in the Firefox address bar as soon as you load the page. I noticed you mentioned Safari, GB. Are you talking about using Firefox on a Mac? Because that could be a whole different story (I never tried Firefox on a Mac).
budazz
crazykamel wrote:
It seems to be working only with mozilla firefox...

IE really sucks Confused

you have to drag down the icon in IE before you see the icon but in mozilla there is no problem Wink Idea