FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Doom, Gothic, Sludge & Stoner Metal

What is your favorite Doom, Gothic & Stoner Metal band
Black Sabbath :-)
44%
 44%  [ 11 ]
The Obsessed
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Trouble
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
My Dying Bride
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Cathedral
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Paradise Lost
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Moonspell
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Tiamat
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 25

Rosanova
Much better presentation of above topic can't be written better than following quote:

"Laboured, mournful and crushingly heavy. The anaesthetising, sloth like riffs of Doom Metal, the bong fuelled lazy retro Rock that is Stoner and the melancholy strains of Gothic Metal- it’s all here. Rooted in ancient instigators such as Pentagram, Atomic Rooster and the mightiest of the mighty- Black Sabbath, Doom has defied all the odds to spawn a huge global fanbase.

The impact of Doom can be felt not only in the respect afforded to faithful cult acts such as The Obsessed and Trouble but in burgeoning enormity of both the Black Sabbath legend and sheer scale of album sales. The rude health of those that have been handed on the flame, the new breed such as My Dying Bride, Cathedral, Paradise Lost, November’s Doom and Candlemass, has morphed the genre into one of their own making.

In recent years Doom has taken a left turn into the desert wastelands of America and returned as Stoner. Bands like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Alabama Thunderpussy, Ironboss and hundreds of others pulling in legions of fans. The Europeans meantime added Electronica into the blend to create Darkwave and hordes of Metal bands discovered that adding a female vocalist, a Gothic touch and the introduction of avant garde instrumentation lent a whole new lease of life. Numerous artists placed firmly in genres such as Death Metal and Black Metal readily experiment with Doom and Gothic whilst groundbreaking artists such as Rain Fell Within and Autumn’s Tears lend the whole scene ongoing re-invigoration."
(A To Z Of Doom, Gothic & Stoner Metal by Garry Sharpe-Young)

Many things can be said in an introduction about this genre, but I'll think that I would lay the rest be upto you.

Cheers!
ainieas
My Dying Bride - anytime! There are some other pretty good bands out there too like Aseidad, Mythological Cold Towers, Lordi, Long Winter's Stare or my personal favourite - Eclipse - its my friends' band.
SunburnedCactus
ainieas wrote:
My Dying Bride - anytime! There are some other pretty good bands out there too like Aseidad, Mythological Cold Towers, Lordi, Long Winter's Stare or my personal favourite - Eclipse - its my friends' band.

Definitely! I love My Dying Bride! Cathedral are pretty cool but I haven't heard a lot from them.
soulman
my favorite bands are not include.... nightwish, Within Temptation, After Forever.... those are all gothic...
Zibé
I have voted for paradise lost...
I'm not a fan of Doom etc... but I like very much this band.

NB: I can suggest Neurosis, or cult of luna, there are greats, and
influenced by Doom-metal, even if the play post-HxC
eirc
moonspell rock!!
used to just listen to them but after i saw them live they beacame one of my favourite bands!
they really know how to play on stage..
Rosanova
soulman wrote:
my favorite bands are not include.... nightwish, Within Temptation, After Forever.... those are all gothic...

Great bands, no dobt about that. But they are probably more to the catagory of esay listning goth, and might a little too smooth to this party between these dirty types. But I'll recommand you to check out My Dying Bride, if you didn't had it before.

Sorry for that

Cheers anyway
Rosanova
ainieas wrote:

The list of great bands who actually did deserve to be on the list is as long as from here and then to the moon. But they wouldn't be forgotten, as you already has mentioned them into this forum, thanks for that.

If you know some more bands then shout it out here...Smile

Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi,

I was just into checking the latest info regarding Dy Dying Bride on http://mydyingbride.org, and found following tourdates:

June 24 Graspop Metal Meeting, Dessel, Belgium
July 22 Metal Camp, Tolmin, Slovenia
August 17/22 Summer Breeze, Germany, Exact date t.b.d.
August 25/26 Hole In the Sky, Bergen, Norway, Exact date t.b.d.
September UK, Exact date and venue t.b.d.

"These tourdates are incomplete; more dates may follow later. All concert dates and venues may change, and the information presented here may contain errors. Always check with the venue for confirmation."

Cheers!
SunburnedCactus
September in the UK, eh? They always seem to play venues near London though which is hours away from me. And I'd have no-one to go with. Crying or Very sad
Rosanova
SunburnedCactus wrote:
September in the UK, eh? They always seem to play venues near London though which is hours away from me. And I'd have no-one to go with. Crying or Very sad

I'm known about surch problems, I've never seen My Dying Bride life, but I've the most of their records, but the older My Dying Bride is my favorites. Their latest release reminds alot about it, but I miss their violin playing. I also really hope that they would pass by Denmark, special near Copenhagen.

Cheers
Rosanova
ATTENTION VOCALISTS
Hello there! The hassle with the media seems to have died. Weīve been off tour for some months and weīve had a nice and long vacation. Itīs time to get back in business:

Nightwish is currently and actively looking for a new singer/front woman for the band. We need the obvious things: Looks , charisma, courage and, of course, a big voice. Good grasp of the English language is also very helpful. We donīt necessarily need a classically trained vocalist like Tarja Turunen (the former vocalist). We welcome all kinds of styles and voices, natural and trained, from rock and pop to classical, and all that you can find in between. You should however be prepared to sing with a lot of dynamics and versatility. From loud and high to very sensitive stuff. You should preferably send us a cd containing 2-3 songs, that you consider to be your best work. If you send an album, would you mark out 2-3 most important songs, please? If you record and send Nightwish songs, then the most important thing is your PERSONAL TOUCH. Photographs are needed as well.

We will look into different applications and all candidates, but doing it this way would save us some time and energy. If you think you have it, just send your stuff to our management, and weīll be happy to take you onboard.

Hereīs the address. Good luck!

KING FOO ENTERTAINMENT LTD OY / EWO
Fredrikinkatu 61 A 7.krs/floor
FIN-00100 Helsinki
Finland
Rosanova
24.03.2006 Manifesto, Hoorn (NL)
31.03.2006 P60, Amstelveen (NL)
08.04.2006 Lantaarn, Hellendoorn (NL)
21.04.2006 Rockweekend, America (NL)
28.04.2006 Patronaat, Haarlem (NL)
19.05.2006 Atlantis, Alkmaar (NL)
26.05.2006 Bekefeesten (together with Within Temptation), Bathmen (NL)
25.06.2006 Graspop, Dessel (BE)
07.10.2006 Live 'N' Louder Festival, Mexico City (Mexico)
12.10.2006 Live 'N' Louder Festival, Buenos Aires (Argentina)
14.10.2006 Live 'N' Louder Festival, Sao Paulo (Brasil)
SemisonicSmile
soulman wrote:
my favorite bands include.... nightwish, Within Temptation, After Forever.... those are all gothic...

we share a common bond then those are all favorites of mine too.
Rosanova
If any have some adds, news or updates, or know any bands that haven't been mentioned at this topic, please don't hold you back to add your entries, as it's more funny than more who are into this forum.

Have a nice weekend
Cheers!
alex_ru
Ultimative doom/gothic band for me its Tenebris and Pyogenesis from this list i vote for Paradise Lost and moonspell and don't forget Tillo Wolf's Lacrimosa Cool
Rosanova
Hi there,

Lets start top 5. Smile

1. My Dying Bride
2. Type o Negative (Why did I forgot them at first?)
3. Black Sabbath (The old once)
4. Trouble
5. Saint Vitus

Cheers!
Rosanova
A great Swedish band that I would like to set a little focus on is Candlemass. If you went into http://www.doom-metal.com, can you get more information on them, include this shot description of the band.

Quote:
One of the most important early Doom bands around, Candlemass was hugely influential on the entire doom-metal genre and is perhaps the biggest doom band from the 80s (and arguably the founding fathers of Epic Doom). Some people believe their debut album contributed to the use of the term "Doom-metal" for this type of music. Candlemass plays mournful, heavy-for-its-time, yet epic sounding Doom-metal with clean vocals. Often, the music deals with themes like the struggle between good and evil. The band also gained fame for its vocalist, Messiah Marcolin (from 'Nightfall' until 'Live'), being quite the stage appearance with his huge afro and monk's frock.

I would say that they forgot to tell that Candlemass is also one of many who have clear inspiration from the god of many genre of metal, Black Sabbath.

Everyone who is into surch of metal, can I warmly recommand you to check these out.

Cheers!
cyph33r
PARADISE LOST by far - been around for some time but still best in this category !
Rosanova
cyph33r wrote:
PARADISE LOST by far - been around for some time but still best in this category !

Yeah! I agree with you. Paradise Lost isn't what they used to be. But they still knows where they belong.

Cheers!
Rosanova
I've been in involved in some rumours that Pete is raised again, and that something is going on in type o negative.
Has anybody heard some concrete about this?

Cheers!
Rosanova
A little from the news front.

Quote:
The mastering of the upcoming Mirror of Deception album 'Shards' is as good as complete.
The album will have a runtime of 55 minutes and have the following tracklisting;

Haunted
Ghost
Swamped
The Eruption
Insomnia
Dead Pledge
The Capital New
Pyre
Frozen Fortune
Enigma

Sample tracks of the upcoming album have already been played to a select crowd at the previous Doom Shall Rise festival and samples will also appear on the bands website shortly.

Above quote has been adviced on the

http://www.doom-metal.com

Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi there,

Some further update is on going. Please stay tuned.

Cheers!
pagan_prota
Black Sabbath, the mother of them all...
Rosanova
pagan_prota wrote:
Black Sabbath, the mother of them all...

I can't agree more. Without Black Sabbath there would had been nothing..Smile

Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi there,

I found some exciting news at doom-metal.com:

Quote:
Cathedral have been nominated ‘Best Underground Band’ for this years Metal Hammer Golden Gods awards. You can vote for them by following this link; Metal Hammer.

The band will also make their debut appearance at this years Donnington Download Festival. They play on the Third stage early evening on Friday 9th of June.

The Cathedral website will hopefully be restored shortly, in the meantime there is a new official forum at the new Rise Above Records site. This will be linked directly from www.cathedralcoven.com shortly. In the meantime you can leave messages on the forum.

Let's give Cathedral a hand, they really deserve it.

Cheers!
Archetype
In terms of doom/sludgy metal stuff, I'd have to say Down. I don't know if they would be classified as doom, but they're close to it. Their fist album, NOLA, is a perfect example of Sabath infulences. It's so gloomy, and kinda depressing, but the music is amazing.

Check them out, they're great. They're finally touring again, and putting out a 3rd album to succeed Down II: A Bustle in Your Hedgerow.

Down is a colaboration of ex-Pantera members Phil Anselmo, and Rex Brown, CoC's Pepper Keenan, Eyehategod's Jim Bower, and Crowbar's Kirk Windstein.

Definitley something to check out.
Rosanova
Archetype wrote:
In terms of doom/sludgy metal stuff, I'd have to say Down. I don't know if they would be classified as doom, but they're close to it. Their fist album, NOLA, is a perfect example of Sabath infulences. It's so gloomy, and kinda depressing, but the music is amazing.

Check them out, they're great. They're finally touring again, and putting out a 3rd album to succeed Down II: A Bustle in Your Hedgerow.

Down is a colaboration of ex-Pantera members Phil Anselmo, and Rex Brown, CoC's Pepper Keenan, Eyehategod's Jim Bower, and Crowbar's Kirk Windstein.

Definitley something to check out.

I'm also the proud owner of Down's NOLA, have even heard that they had made a record more, but that haven't I heard yet and either their 3rd. To place them into some specific chatagory is too hard, but Sludgy Metal is the most perfect target that I can though about.

Keep on rockin' and banging heads..Smile

Cheers!
deroga
From the ones on the list My Dying Bride, definitely. When it comes to doom I prefer the heavier stuff. Funeral doom is the genre. You should check out Shape of Despair for one truly great funeral doom act.
Rosanova
deroga wrote:
From the ones on the list My Dying Bride, definitely. When it comes to doom I prefer the heavier stuff. Funeral doom is the genre. You should check out Shape of Despair for one truly great funeral doom act.

Hi there,

Honestly doen't I know much about Funeral Doom, but if it's heavier can I only emagine that it's also are at my taste of Doom. Great with new topics withn' this genre, as long it isn't wimp.

Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi there,

There is not much news to add to this topic, other that conclude that it's still alive. I would wish that others who is interested into this genre would add their comments here.

Have a nice warm summer
Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi there,

Here is some old (09.05.2006) My Dying Bride updates...

Quote:
MDB have been locked up in the studio and are busy recording their new album. According to the band, at least 5 songs have already been recorded with more in the pipeline. No details on song or album titles are available, yet. John, the drummer from The Prophecy, with whom the band have played live in the past year, is also behind the kit in the studio, filling in for regular MDB drummer Shaun Taylor-Steels (who is still having problems with his ankle after injuring it badly last year).

More as we get it.

I wondering who without me are looking (as always) foreward to this moment...

Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi there,

Long time no go.. Cool

It has to be the time to make an top five or ten favorite Doom/Gothic/Stoner Metal poll. I'll think that we make the poll withn' the timeframe from today and a until the 16. september, and thereafter would I count the adds of nominations and further publish them here.

My nomination is as follow:

1) My Dying Bride
2) Cathedral
3) Candlemass
4) Black Sabbath
5) Trouble

You can add your top 5 or 10 as you like, I couldn't get more than 5 at first place, but I think these rules.

See You,

Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi there,

Long time no see. By the way do I really have some exciting news to put on this toppic. The first news is ofcause the latest release of My Dying Bride called "A Line Of Deathless Kings" and then the latest release of Cradle Of Filth "Thornography", who spread their broken wings through several of catagories of Metal, and with the lastest also has come to Gothic.

That's all for this time

Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi there,

Finaly some real news here on stage.. Smile

Acutally has Celtic Frost released their first studio album since 1990. Everyone with true respect for this music genre, would know that this it true and pure gotic, doomed and stoned kings of this genre, with a history started in the 80es. Check out Monotheist, as this is really a pearl of releases this
year 2006.

Cheers!
arkebuzer
Rosanova wrote:
Much better presentation of above topic can't be written better than following quote:

"Laboured, mournful and crushingly heavy. The anaesthetising, sloth like riffs of Doom Metal, the bong fuelled lazy retro Rock that is Stoner and the melancholy strains of Gothic Metal- it’s all here. Rooted in ancient instigators such as Pentagram, Atomic Rooster and the mightiest of the mighty- Black Sabbath, Doom has defied all the odds to spawn a huge global fanbase.

The impact of Doom can be felt not only in the respect afforded to faithful cult acts such as The Obsessed and Trouble but in burgeoning enormity of both the Black Sabbath legend and sheer scale of album sales. The rude health of those that have been handed on the flame, the new breed such as My Dying Bride, Cathedral, Paradise Lost, November’s Doom and Candlemass, has morphed the genre into one of their own making.

In recent years Doom has taken a left turn into the desert wastelands of America and returned as Stoner. Bands like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Alabama Thunderpussy, Ironboss and hundreds of others pulling in legions of fans. The Europeans meantime added Electronica into the blend to create Darkwave and hordes of Metal bands discovered that adding a female vocalist, a Gothic touch and the introduction of avant garde instrumentation lent a whole new lease of life. Numerous artists placed firmly in genres such as Death Metal and Black Metal readily experiment with Doom and Gothic whilst groundbreaking artists such as Rain Fell Within and Autumn’s Tears lend the whole scene ongoing re-invigoration."
(A To Z Of Doom, Gothic & Stoner Metal by Garry Sharpe-Young)

Many things can be said in an introduction about this genre, but I'll think that I would lay the rest be upto you.

Cheers!

I have never heard about stone metal before. On the other hand Iīm not a big fan of puting music into slots like that. Every band is special, and itīs quite hard many times to tell if itīs death or black metal for example.
But maybe thatīs just me Razz
KoiboySG1
Im a big Paradise Lost fan. i have all albums. I do not have much cd’s of the other bands.
Rosanova
arkebuzer wrote:

I have never heard about stone metal before. On the other hand Iīm not a big fan of putting music into slots like that. Every band is special, and itīs quite hard many times to tell if itīs death or black metal for example.

Hi there,

You're right! Most of the time is every band unique somehow, but there is also many who copy each other, so sad. But the difference between death and black metal is easy, as you have the growl in death metal and black metal is more like a fusion between death and thrash metal. Doom metal is a sub genre under death metal, Gothic and Stoner Metal is a sub into Doom (often).
But yes it's complicated.

Cheers!
arkebuzer
Rosanova wrote:
arkebuzer wrote:

I have never heard about stone metal before. On the other hand Iīm not a big fan of putting music into slots like that. Every band is special, and itīs quite hard many times to tell if itīs death or black metal for example.

Hi there,

You're right! Most of the time is every band unique somehow, but there is also many who copy each other, so sad. But the difference between death and black metal is easy, as you have the growl in death metal and black metal is more like a fusion between death and thrash metal. Doom metal is a sub genre under death metal, Gothic and Stoner Metal is a sub into Doom (often).

Cheers!

Thanks for the explanation =)
Many death metal bands have songs with mixed vocals, with growl only parts of the song. Personally I just make it easy and call it all metal, no matter if itīs metallica, meshuggah or defleshed Wink

Regards
Rosanova
arkebuzer wrote:
Rosanova wrote:
arkebuzer wrote:

Hi there,

Cheers!

Thanks for the explanation =)
Many death metal bands have songs with mixed vocals, with growl only parts of the song. Personally I just make it easy and call it all metal, no matter if itīs metallica, meshuggah or defleshed Wink

Regards

Hi again,

You're right. Take an ex like Pain, they (he) really messed up the genres. Btw is Peter Swedens metal god #1. Smile

Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi there,

Just a another topic picked up from the dust... Smile

Why not add some exciting news now where this topic is up anyway... Smile

Candlemas has just released a brand new release "King of the Grey Islands", and I'm that lucky that I'm just sitting and listning to this master piece, what I would claim to be the best Doom realated release since before the reunion of Black Sabbath. I can't say much more about it than, just go buy and you wouldn't regret, promise... Smile Every single tunes are worth gold!

Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi there,

I've just updated the topic title to also include Sludge Metal, that also are a subgenre into Doom Metal.

I don't know if we had discussed this anytime before, but just a little guide from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Doom metal is a form of heavy metal that emerged as a recognized metal sub-genre in the early/mid-1980s. Doom metal is heavier and slower than other metal genres. Lyrics play a very important role in this genre, and are traditionally rife with pessimism, evoking an atmosphere of darkness, despair and misery. Musically, doom metal is strongly influenced by the early work of Black Sabbath. A number of early Black Sabbath tracks, such as "Black Sabbath" are often considered embryonic or prototypical doom metal songs. Many of the tracks on their third album Master of Reality (released in 1971) seem to have more in common with what today is seen as doom metal, with tracks such as "Sweet Leaf", and "Into The Void" that featured Tony Iommi's guitar and Geezer Butler's bass tuned down to C# for heavier riffing and reduced string tension for Iommi's previously injured fingers. However Black Sabbath was not the only influence- many doom metal bands started up only a few years after Black Sabbath's debut, some of whom hailed from countries that had not yet seen the rise of Black Sabbath's popularity.

Actually isn't there many bands left in the originally Doom category, and reason for that might be as discussed many times before, that the most of the bands nowadays love to put their music on it's own category. But one of the few bands that still going strong is Trouble. Others would be mentioned later.

Quote:
Sludge metal is a form of heavy metal music that is generally regarded as a fusion of doom metal and hardcore punk, often with blues influences.

Quote:
Stoner rock and stoner metal are interchangeable terms describing sub-genres of rock and metal music. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo, with a low-tuned, bass-heavy sound and psychedelic jams. It is riff-oriented and often contains significant repetition with variation. Melodic vocals and 'raw' or 'retro' production are also common traits.

Quote:
Gothic metal is a genre of heavy metal music that originated during the mid 1990s in Europe as an outgrowth of doom-death, a fusion genre of doom metal and death metal.

The definition of gothic metal is commonly debated amongst fans and the media; older fans and musicians have a firm concept of the genre and its characteristics, having been around for its conception, and having strict ideas of what bands pertain to the genre. Newer fans reject this categorization as limiting, useless, or wrong, often claiming bands are gothic metal that do not meet the criteria of the older fans.

Cheers!
Helios
I'm not a big doom metal fan, but there are few bands.
Have you ever heard about Lamented Souls? It's a project of Simen Hestæs (Bassist in Dimmu Borgir), where he's the vocalist. They have a nice compilation called "The Origins of Misery". Great stuff.

Another band I like is Type O Negative. They aren't mostly doom, but you can hear some doomsday riffs in many of their songs.

Candlemass and Cathedral - you cannot dislike these bands, but they aren't in my playlist (but in my waiting list).
ainieas
Hey tell someone how would you classify Children of Bodom and Amorphis. I've always wondered. I kinda suck with slotting music into genres. Peace...
Helios
Children of Bodom are extreme speed metal, and amorphis are now melodic metal, but they were doom/death metal once.

Next time, please talk on the subject.
Rosanova
Example on Sludge Metal;

Traditional/Southern sludge metal;

* Acid Bath
* Alabama Thunderpussy
* Artimus Pyledriver
* Black Cobra
* Buzzov*en
* Cavity
* Corrosion of Conformity
* Crowbar
* Down
* Dystopia
* Eyehategod
* Grief
* Iron Monkey
* Melvins
* Noothgrush
* Rwake
* Weedeater

Stoner sludge metal;

* Bongzilla
* Boris
* Corrosion of Conformity (later)
* Down
* Eyehategod
* Electric Wizard
* Kylesa
* Ufomammut
* The Sword
* Torche

Atmospheric sludge metal/Post-metal

* Callisto (True Nature Unfolds and Noir)
* Cult of Luna
* Giant Squid
* Intronaut
* ISIS
* Minsk
* Mouth of the Architect
* Neurosis
* Pelican (earlier)
* Rosetta

There can be others into this category, but it isn't cause that I've forgotten but this is just an example.

Cheers!

Rosanova
arkebuzer wrote:

I have never heard about stone metal before. On the other hand Iīm not a big fan of puting music into slots like that. Every band is special, and itīs quite hard many times to tell if itīs death or black metal for example.

Hi there,

I know that I've started a couple of topics by splitting the Metal genre up in categories, and I can agree with you that the most bands is as unique and often have their own style.

But could you imagine starting a topic that just called rock or metal. I would be quit sure that this would just be one big mess, and many bands that are categorized would be invisible into that mess, and here do I mostly think about newer bands.

But that is my opinion, that it only should be easier being guided around.

Thanks for your post anyway!

Cheers!
catscratches
I really like some soft goth/horror like ASP. And I've wanted to find some harder goth but all I've find are mainstream soft bands (I havn't really looked that hard). So I'll definately check some of the bands out.

I've never heard about Sludge metal, but I'll certainly check it out and see if I like it.
Rosanova
Hi there,

catscratches wrote:
I really like some soft goth/horror like ASP. And I've wanted to find some harder goth but all I've find are mainstream soft bands (I havn't really looked that hard). So I'll definately check some of the bands out.

I'll think that you should try to listen to My Dying Bride, as I think that it would be hard enough. Any way is they my favourite.

catscratches wrote:
I've never heard about Sludge metal, but I'll certainly check it out and see if I like it.

Try out Down, Corrosion of Conformity or Crowbar.

Cheers!
catscratches
I liked My Dying Bride a bit but unfortunately no other band on the poll. I'll check out the sludge metal bands you mentioned as soon as I get the time to.
Rosanova
catscratches wrote:
I liked My Dying Bride a bit but unfortunately no other band on the poll. I'll check out the sludge metal bands you mentioned as soon as I get the time to.

Hi there,

Then would I suggest that you have to check out the latest live with My Dying Bride, if you hasn't yet, called An Ode to Woe. It's f**king awesome.

Have a nice warm summer!!!

Cheers!
ZzZ_AluCarD_ZzZ
My favorite stoner bands are Queen of the Stone age, Kyuss (both with josh homme) and Clutch!