FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

outsourcing

raman
Here is my stance on the issue.
America has been and should continue to be a home for the highly-educated, performing work that people in other countries simply won't be able to do. We should focus on jobs involving technology and education, as opposed to jobs that involve manual labor (note: there will always be some jobs in America for manual labor).

By outsourcing jobs, companies are able to increase profits (obviously, or else they wouldn't do it) and provide better products. Companies benefit, and in turn they sell cheaper to consumers. Thus, all classes benefit from the low prices, and not just the super-rich.

Also, by outsourcing, we also happen to be a home for insourcing. Companies that need highly-skilled workers or a technological environment can come to America and employ Americans. The number of jobs insourced in the US is growing significantly faster than the number of jobs outsourced. Insourced jobs are, on average, much higher paying than those outsourced.

Free trade goes hand in hand with this. By tearing down our own tariffs, we are able to get other countries to tear down their own. This means American companies can sell more overseas, and American consumers can benefit from the lower prices that foreign companies offer.

What group of Americans does this hurt the most?
The poor, duh.

The solution is clear enough, though. America needs to move even more towards a highly-skilled, educated, technological society. We do this by fixing immigration laws so that we give citizenship to the best and the brightest, provide more money for scholarships, fix bad school system and so forth. The unemployment rate is low enough now that we can look at this as a long term issue and react with long term goals
CompactHaven
My only problem with outsourcing is that during a time of war we could be cut off from things we need.
sebascorre
I am working in my house, this has a lot of benefits and disadvantages.
How can we have all the benefits??
Maybe we can make an outsourcing club, so we can work with other peoples.
bluefossil
I guess since you all have an opinion about this i would ask here. have you heard about dell stopping the outsourcing of their service calls cause they were losing customers?
Gieter
CompactHaven wrote:
My only problem with outsourcing is that during a time of war we could be cut off from things we need.

Governments know this, and they try (and succeed mostly) to keep the really important sectors, like agriculture and weapon industry in the country itself. That's why the EU protects the farmers so much.
Jaiye
raman wrote:

By outsourcing jobs, companies are able to... provide better products.

Try explaining that to me or hundreds of other customers that have had to try to talk about thier computer problems with some guy that I can't understand a damn word he's saying and I'm pretty sure he knows less about computers then my little sister.
Dragonfly
Outsourcing is not as rosy as many of us thinks. It just benefits the companies that are doing the same. For customers it is going to get worse. But the fact is that the world is truly becoming a global village. And it's hard to cope up with these changes.
planet
Outsaucing certainly IS changing the balance of the world these days. That the US should be the only country that had the capability (brainpower) to effectuate hightech production is a simplyfication of history.

Rockets ,,,, german knowhow
Taperecorders, danish knowhow

Wheel n deep plate,,,,ME! lol

Nah seriously,, ofcourse the US is a powerhouse of inovation these days but all over the world there has been and always will be progress produced.

But what the outsaucing IS doing, is changing the balance of power. And maybe, just m a y b e thats not so bad.....
monkeystravels
I'll ask you a question.

When all production is outsourced abroad to where wages are low, and the US economy is based solely on information, finance and high-technology goods. Where will the companies then outsource production when there is now where left in the world to expand into? i.e. how will companies be able to reduce costs?
girlinjapan
monkeystravels wrote:
I'll ask you a question.

When all production is outsourced abroad to where wages are low, and the US economy is based solely on information, finance and high-technology goods. Where will the companies then outsource production when there is now where left in the world to expand into? i.e. how will companies be able to reduce costs?

First of all, I don't think all production would be outsourced. Thats a bit extreme.

For the health of the US economy and defense and agriculture and all that stuff, a lot of jobs will remain in America.
goutha
In my opinion, light outsourcing is good for economy. It's also good for other countries economy. Extremes are not good.