FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Converting php certificates from pem to .p12 (resolved)

ccarter24
Background: At work I have a web server that that requires client certificates. We are rolling out a program that will require a large number of users to access our website. A good number of the users do not have client certificates. To reduce costs, we created a Certificate Authority cert using php OpenSSL functions and we are issuing users client certificates signed by our local CA. We get two files in the end, one containing the certificate, the other containing the key pair.

Problem: I have been able to export the certificates into a pem format. However, all the users will be using IE to access the website. After importing the certificate into Windows, it shows in the Personal certificates store. However, in IE the certificate does not display in the personal section where we need it to.

Question: I understand that for IE to use a certificate as a Personal certificate, it has to be in a .pfx, .p12, or .p7b format. How do you convert a certificate from pem to one of those formats? Is there something in PHP when I create the certificate that I am missing?
ccarter24
If anyone else needs to know the answer I found, there is an openssl utility at http://www.openssl.org that will do such a conversion. PHP doesn't have openssl features that will do that as of version 5.1.2.

PHP Manual wrote:
This module (PHP OpenSSL)uses the functions of OpenSSL for generation and verification of signatures and for sealing (encrypting) and opening (decrypting) data. OpenSSL offers many features that this module currently doesn't support. Some of these may be added in the future.