FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unexplained efficiency gains.

Tony The Tiger
On Monday, I finally got my new External Hard Drive working (after 2 returns to the vendor). I am noticing decent efficiency gains from my new Western Digital 320 GB 7200 RPM 8MB External Hard Drive w/ Cintre Case over my old Maxtor 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Personal Storage 3100 External Hd Drive. It took 43:06 to back up 29584 MB using Norton Ghost 9.0. My old 80GB took 56:57 to back up 29553 MB.

This is not as significant as the 8x faster that the Dynex DX-UC202 USB 2.0 PCMCIA Notebook Card (6744999176) made the backup from my USB 1.1 ports last Feb (http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22145432 ). However, 20% faster is a bonus since the purchase was made for capacity, not efficiency (although I did pay up for the 7200 RPM over the 5400 RPM so as not to lose efficiency).

In addition, one of my card slots got damaged recently and Dell replaced the motherboard (which comes with a new video card) this week. When the technician replaced it he bent a pin on my microprocessor and Dell replaced that too. With the new processor and motherboard the backup fell to 31:45 for 29535 MB. This is another 25% faster.

Oddly, (or maybe not so oddly) processes entirely on my laptop seem much more than 25% faster. I think my Easy Cleaner runs about 4 or 5x as fast.

I also tested Disk Defrag. I defragged only the 29.5 GB on my internal hard drive. Then I backed up both my internal and my 80GB external (which only had about 8GB on it after I moved my 3 most recent internal HD backups over to my new 320GB external). Time fell from about 47:45 to 46:15.

I am wondering if anyone knows any simple performance measurements I will be able to do in the future to determine the efficiency improvements for video cards?

My computer is performing faster because Dell replaced my motherboard and processor. I called them to ask what they put in my machine that is making it so much faster. They said they replaced like for like. I.E., they put in a Pentium 4 2.4GHz chip.

How much faster should the Feb 2006 build of a Pentium 4 2.4GHz chip be than the Jan 2003 build? Is it possible that they really put something faster in my machine, but won't tell me so that in case of future warrantied (I extended my 3yr warranty another 2 years to 1/29/0Cool problems they are not obligated to supply such a chip?

Belarc identified the processor as follows:
2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

The main circuit board is identified as follows:
Board: Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 8200
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A11 01/07/2004

This leads to 4 questions:
1.) What is the difference between primary and secondary cache?
2.) Is it possible that the memory cache on a Feb 2006 2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 is different than the memory cache on a Jan 2003 one?
3.) Is this the same bus clock speed as 2003 build motherboards?
4.) Could the newer Bios explain the increased efficiency?
Boles Roor

L1 Cache(Primary) is directly in contact with the processing unit's Input/Output.

L2 Cache stands between L1 Cache and your RAM.

Because it runs on the same Ghz does not mean it's the same type of processor. It can be a revised, new build, but also a whole different type. Thus maybe featuring more cache. We would need to know more about your old Motherboard and the new one, brand, type. To see if there's a difference.

See above.

Usually BIOS updates do speed up your PC. I could overclock mine higher because of a newer BIOS update.

As for checking your performace, SiSoft Sandra, 3DMark2005, memtest86 and prime95. Google them Smile
broti
You said it was a laptop?
Well I wouldn't take the risk to overclock a laptop. Wananty probably wont help. Most of the time you only make it hotter in that tiny thing(laptop Razz ). It's a big difference to clock/tweak your normal desktop pc or your laptop. Laptops aint made to overclock. Well most of the pc's also aren't but they are more easy to cool. Good luck if your gonna try it. Wink
Tony The Tiger
Boles Roor wrote:
Because it runs on the same Ghz does not mean it's the same type of processor. It can be a revised, new build, but also a whole different type. Thus maybe featuring more cache. We would need to know more about your old Motherboard and the new one, brand, type. To see if there's a difference.

It is all Dell brand from Dell. Brands and types are whatever they were sending with an Inspiron 8200 puchased 1/29/03 and whatever they sent for servicing requests 37 months later. I assume they are all essentially Dell brands.
bassgs_17
Hmm... Like others said, it could be that they gave you a motherboard with a more efficient chipset... Also, the increased amount of Cache on your new HDD will speed up storage-related tasks significantly. Just because I do laptop repair doesn't mean I'm an expert with hardware specs, unfortunately.
-Aquastrike
Clash
Tony The Tiger wrote:
On Monday, I finally got my new External Hard Drive working (after 2 returns to the vendor). I am noticing decent efficiency gains from my new Western Digital 320 GB 7200 RPM 8MB External Hard Drive w/ Cintre Case over my old Maxtor 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Personal Storage 3100 External Hd Drive. It took 43:06 to back up 29584 MB using Norton Ghost 9.0. My old 80GB took 56:57 to back up 29553 MB.

Is that 29553Mb 29.553Mb or 29.553Gb? If it's Gb then you're getting 8Mb a second which is waaay faster than USB 2 is rated for Cool If it's Mb, then you're getting waaay slower which would be about right Razz
smartbei
USB 1.1 supported speeds of either 1.5 mb/s or 12 mb/s. USB 2 is much, much faster, I believe it has a maximum speed of 480 mb/s, but I am not sure of that statistic. Therefore, 8 mb/s is definately possible.
Clash
smartbei wrote:
USB 1.1 supported speeds of either 1.5 mb/s or 12 mb/s. USB 2 is much, much faster, I believe it has a maximum speed of 480 mb/s, but I am not sure of that statistic. Therefore, 8 mb/s is definately possible.

Your right, slipped a decimal point in my calcs Embarassed

USB 2 is 480Mbit/sec which roughly equates to about 60 Mbyte/s which is a long way from what he's getting. Firewire is slower on paper at 400Mbit/s, but actually faster in practice as it is sustained.

I must do some tests on a firewire drive and see what sort of real world figures you can get.