FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

video file sizes?

Mumpay
Quote:
We are neither an image host, file storage or downloads website. Uploading of big files is forbidden. All accounts with high traffic and/or high occupation of space will be checked.

Just a quick question, I go to chinchilla shows and sometimes take a few videos so people can see the comments the judges made on their chinchillas they bought later. The files are typically around 5mb. I've had one video at 11mb though. Is that too big? Thanks!
Bondings
What we don't like is that you allow other people to upload all kinds of files on your website, sort of a file host. This attracts a lot of (if not mostly) abuse/warez or worse. Letting them upload only pictures for a picture gallery is already better.

Now what I understood is that you want to upload some of your self-made movies so that the visitors of your website can watch them?

If that is the case, then for sure it is allowed. However, there is a file size limit(currently 5MB if I'm not mistaken) for files uploaded through your browser. So for bigger files, you will need to use an ftp program to upload them.
Mumpay
ah, perfect, thanks! Yeah, I use FTP apps, can't stand those browser versions, heh.

But yes, they're home-made videos that people can download to see how their chins did at the show, if they forgot to write down the judges comments.

I wouldn't be letting anyone else upload anything, just me Smile

Thanks for the answer!
dan751
I just thought I should mention, I've uploaded files larger than 5MB through my browser, before I used FTP, but that was with cPanel, and not DirectAdmin. The rule is probably different for DA. Anyway. If you become hosted with us, and do upload home-made videos, I look forward to seeing it.Very Happy I love nearly any kind of show.Very Happy
Wimuel
Once registered. I am going to be interested in video downloads from my website as well. Most will just be video clips under 5mb but I am interested in some names and links of some of the FTP applications that will allow me to go over the browser based application limit of 5mb. Thanks for your thoughts in this matter.
you can do videos i havnt seen many webhost allowing you to put movies eccept freewebs and maybe moonfruit not sure but even if they did the space you have isnt enough which is bad Sad but i think this might be the next web pag that i would stick to.

I have heard that this site crashed once and everyone lost their files/website but they fixed it hope that doesnt happen anymore because when i finished creating my web i wouldnt like loosing all the things i did.
Tycoone
*Have a backup instead. Remember that they are web hosts, not an online backup drive.

Oh, about the videos, 2000 unique downloads per months = bandwith exceeded. So yeah, just be careful about the popularity. Remember that you can still upload to Youtube, to save bandwith from Frihost.
chrismen
Tycoone wrote:
*Have a backup instead. Remember that they are web hosts, not an online backup drive.

Oh, about the videos, 2000 unique downloads per months = bandwith exceeded. So yeah, just be careful about the popularity. Remember that you can still upload to Youtube, to save bandwith from Frihost.

Just thought I would comment here: youtube has saved me. You can upload movies up to 100 megs and post them right on your website for viewing. Very good. (There is a 10 minute limit also)
hack_man_
It says in DirectAdmin that the limit is 95mb. Is it meant to be that big, or is the rule different for S2
Daniel15
Quote:
It says in DirectAdmin that the limit is 95mb.

Well, I can't say much about that, because I don't have an account on the DirectAdmin server (server 2).

Just out of curiosity, how much free space do you have? Maybe the figure of 95MB is how much space is available?
NjRocket
i think its how much space you have left because im pretty sure you can upload more than that.
theonlygod
Hi, Im a new user on this great community, I want to know if the file type is restricted in the server, because I want to upload files using a php script on a html interface.

Excuse my english, Im from Argentina....... South America.

SEEEAAA
Bondings
theonlygod wrote:
Hi, Im a new user on this great community, I want to know if the file type is restricted in the server, because I want to upload files using a php script on a html interface.

Excuse my english, Im from Argentina....... South America.

SEEEAAA

There are no server restrictions. But file hosting isn't allowed, the same for music. Please read our TOS.