FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

301 permanent redirect possible?

kcarring
Can we redirect a domain to our subdomain via a 301 permanent redirect in Cpanel?
wumingsden
kcarring wrote:
Can we redirect a domain to our subdomain via a 301 permanent redirect in Cpanel?

cPanel is only installed on Server 1. All new Hosting Requests are for Server 2. Server two has DirectAdmin installed instead of cPanel.
dan751
Similar to that of cPanel, you can park domains in DirectAdmin.Wink
Bondings
Yes you can redirect it with a 301, either in your .htaccess file or just by sending the right header.
Daniel15
Quote:
Yes you can redirect it with a 301, either in your .htaccess file or just by sending the right header.

Here's the PHP code for a 301 redirect:
Code:

<?php
 header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
 header("Location: http://www.google.com.au/");
 die();
?>
Bondings
And you need to place daniel15's code in an index.php file in the public_html directory of the domain.

But to be honest, wouldn't it be better to redirect the subdomain to the domain also hosted on frihost?
kcarring
I think you are right. However, when I requested a "name" I was prompted to create a subdomain. What I really wanted was to direct my existing domain to the frih.net account, somehow. I'm not sure if I should bug the administrators for a "change" before I've even been reviewed, but ultimately thats what I would like = a place to host an existing domain. If it's not possible well then, that's OK I'll just use this account for goof off stuff and pay for hosting elsewhere.
Daniel15
kcarring wrote:
I think you are right. However, when I requested a "name" I was prompted to create a subdomain. What I really wanted was to direct my existing domain to the frih.net account, somehow.

Well, you need to change your domain's DNS entries to: ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net Then, add the domain in to your DirectAdmin control panel as a 'Domain Pointer'.

The DNS changes might take anywhere between 4-24 hours to take effect. When they do, the domain should work.
kcarring
Ok, thats what I will do, if and when I get accepted! Thanks