FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

History of SPAM

firebrandglass
I was curious as to the etymological root of the term "spam", where the word came from, and why that word. I thought it might be an acronym for something like "Stupid People Abusing Mail" or whatever. A quick search of Wikipedia reveals a much tastier, and comedic history... "And now for something completely different." :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_%28electronic%29

Juicy bit reprinted here, for your consideration:

Quote:
Main article: History of spamming

The term spam is derived from the Monty Python SPAM sketch, set in a cafe where everything on the menu includes SPAM luncheon meat. As the server recites the SPAM-filled menu, presently a chorus of Viking patrons drowns out all normal conversation with a song, repeating "SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM" and singing "lovely SPAM, wonderful SPAM" over and over again, stopping all conversation, hence SPAMming the dialogue. The excessive amount of SPAM in the sketch comes from British rationing in World War II. SPAM was one of the few foods that was not restricted and widely available, so by the time of the sketch, the British were fed up with the luncheon meat. Another similarity is that everything on the menu comes with SPAM, therefore representing that you can't order something without receiving something you don't want, much like one can't be active on the Internet and never have spam sent to your e-mail address(es).

Although the first known instance of unsolicited commercial e-mail occurred in 1978 (unsolicited electronic messaging had already taken place over other media, with the first recorded instance being via telegram on September 13, 1904), the term "spam" for this practice had not yet been applied. In the 1980s the term was adopted to describe certain abusive users who frequented BBSs and MUDs, who would repeat "SPAM" a huge number of times to scroll other users' text off the screen. In the early Chat rooms in services like PeopleLink and the early days of AOL, they actually flooded the screen with sizeable quotes from the Monty Python routine. This was generally used as a tactic by insiders of a particular group who wanted to drive newcomers out of the room so the usual conversation could continue. This act, previously termed flooding or trashing, came to be called spamming as well. [7] By analogy, the term was soon applied to any large amount of text broadcast by one user, or sometimes by many users.

Thought someone might find this interesting. Good day!

You can view the Monty Python sketch here:
http://linux.gda.pl/pub/spam/
wumingsden
SPAM and spam are different, there are also a number of other definitions:

SPAM is:
Quote:

To indiscriminately send unsolicited, unwanted, irrelevant, or inappropriate messages, especially commercial advertising in mass quantities. Noun: electronic "junk mail".

Spam is:
Quote:

SPAM is a canned pork product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation that has entered into folklore.

Other kinds of Spam:

Quote:

Spam is a popular Monty Python sketch, first broadcast in 1970. In the sketch, two customers are trying to order a breakfast without SPAM from a menu which includes the processed meat product in every entree. The term spam (in electronic communication) is derived from this sketch.

Quote:

Spam is repeated use of more than one grenade in one part of a map in the quake mod Team Fortress. It also broadly incorporates overuse of the in-game messaging system and excessive setting of detpacks (large-scale explosions).

All from here
Vrythramax
I now know more about spam than I ever thought I would. I knew about the food p[roduct and the unsolicited email, but i had no idea it had been around as long as it has been. I wish someone would post a foolproof method on how to get rid of it or at least avoid it. I don't usually post my email address anywhere, but a few months ago my ISP "accidently" posted thier userlist on thier website and I quess a mail harvester got ahold of it, now my mailbox is flooded daily with alot of garbage email as are alot of the other users of my ISP.

Any ideas on how to avoid this sticky mess?
wumingsden
Vrythramax wrote:
I now know more about spam than I ever thought I would. I knew about the food p[roduct and the unsolicited email, but i had no idea it had been around as long as it has been. I wish someone would post a foolproof method on how to get rid of it or at least avoid it. I don't usually post my email address anywhere, but a few months ago my ISP "accidently" posted thier userlist on thier website and I quess a mail harvester got ahold of it, now my mailbox is flooded daily with alot of garbage email as are alot of the other users of my ISP.

Any ideas on how to avoid this sticky mess?

Is the email address from your ISP ? If so tell them that your having problems with SPAM, could they make you another email address and forward all contacts mail to your new email. A friend of mine had the same problem and they did this for him
myrevolt
Vrythramax that sucks. I'd either change email addresses as was recommended or set up filters to block say a particular domain. I have kept my primary email address off the radar (however I have like 20 email addys when I need to sign up for things; bugmenot.com also helpful)

For instance I was receiving virus email in my bulk email and I noticed that they were coming from the domain yahoo.jp.co so I just blocked the domain in my spam pref. There are many many spam options but its best to just avoid posting your address (on public sites use a secondary email & use an image to avoid bots)

Moreover, you may try http://dodgeit.com/ if you don't like to have dozens of accounts. Oh one more trick: if you use gmail you can use temporary email addresses which can then be easily filtered to your trash if you run into problems. For example username+signupwebsite@gmail.com just include the plus sign and a hint to yourself.

good luck, stay SPAM safe Wink
Vrythramax
Thanks for the assistance and suggestions, I will try them out over the next few days Smile
Blaster
Vrythramax wrote:
Thanks for the assistance and suggestions, I will try them out over the next few days Smile

I would go with www.gmail.com because there spam filter is real tough and if you put somone on the spam list that yu dont 'want you can remove tem. That is if wumingsden's idea doesn't work.
Zuwiki
I've never really had a problem with spam (the e-mail kind). Well, not by my standards anyway. I use GMail, and when I'm bored, I sign up for random mailing lists and give my address to sites that I know will spam me and then I set up some filters to mark it as SPAM and archive it. I only wish the filters could mark it read too...

Well, spam is just entertainment for me and I get a crapload of spam. A couple cans of it every few minutes!

Anyway, that definition of spam from Wikipedia is very funny. I used to have a screensaver from AfterDark that would show parts of random Monty Python sketches such as the spam one. That was a long time ago though.. I miss it.
thiamshui
LOL.. i didnt know bout the origin of the word 'spam'.. really interesting indeed.. I don't have much problems with spam though.. although i did receive a whole load of spam for a few days before, but i dunno wad stopped it from coming anymore..