FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Douglas Adams

dexterius
Anybody knows him? I think he is the best "comedy" writer ever. I haven't read a lot of books, but "The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" is the best book i have read. If you like sci-fi literature or you just like "funny" books then look for it. I promise you will not regret !! BTW he made other books, those are good too Wink
misomichael
I'm a huge Doug Adams fan myself. Really wish he was still around so that we could enjoy more of his great humor.

Recently I picked up a copy of comedian Chris Elliott's Shroud of the Thwacker, and was wonderfully surprised. Chris is just as funny, if not more so, than Douglas Adams! I haven't laughed so much in years. I was really surprised, because when I've seen Chris Elliott in movies or on TV I wasn't that impressed. Glad I checked out the book despite my earlier impressions.

If you're an Adams fan, I highly recommend checking it out too. I think you might like the intelligent silliness of it.
Zuwiki
Oh man, I love D.A. with my heart! Don't forget towel day! His books are the best. Also, you should check out Salmon of Doubt. It's like a bunch of magazine articles and such that D.A. wrote about himself, so it's a bit like an autobiography. Naturally, since he wrote it, it's really funny. Although it was edited by a friend of his after D.A. died. Crying or Very sad Mad .
KernEnergie
I love his books, especially the Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy, it's the best saga I ever read, funny and fantastic at the same time. I always makes me laugh when I read it, even if I do'nt understand everything Very Happy
I haven't seen the movie they made (H2G2) and I don't really want to watch it, I think Im afraid to be disappointed or to lose the image I've made of these books in my mind.
What do you think about the movie they made?
And I also read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" it's also very nice, but there isn't that touch of magic fantasy there is in H2G2.
simpleHalakhah
The movie is obviously not as good as the book(s). It also changes the end and the plot. However, for illiterate people, it is a good film rendition of what could only be expressed in print or in film series.
misomichael
I think the true measure of a successful film adaptation is whether someone who has never read the books would come away from the film wanting to read them. Unfortunately, by cutting and rearranging and rewriting whole swaths of the story, and trimming or revising jokes to the point where there's little humor left, the Hitchhiker's film fails to make much sense or come across as funny, fails to convince anyone to try the books.

As a long time Hitchhiker's fan myself, who has appreciated many different incarnations of the story, whether in radio, book, play and TV form, I was able to find things to enjoy about the movie, but a friend of mine who I knew would love the books if he'd read them came away from the movie with absolutely no interest in ever picking up the books and giving them a try. It took some time afterwards before I could convince him otherwise, and when he finally started the first book he couldn't put it down until the end, and immediately went on to devour the rest of the series. Now he's a huge Doug Adams fan, but I'm sure there are many other people who will never enjoy this wonderful series due to this confusing and rather flat movie.
ocalhoun
I never carried a towel around before I read his books.
PublicKiosk
i loved his books. the movie wasn't that good though.
Jayfarer
His writing is amazing. Hilarious and thought-provoking. He just comes up with great concepts.

The movie was average. They lowered it a little bit to make it more accessible, more friendly to audiences. They could have made it a great dark comedy, though.
dexterius
I think that book as Hitchhiker's guide to Galaxy can't be successfuly filmed. I't too complicated, and many his jokes are good only in writen form. I saw the film, it wasn't so bad as i thought it will be, but it can't be compared with the book. The film was just a funny thing cuted out from some part's of the "Trilogy". Wink
drkarthi
Douglas Adams is the funniest author ever born. He is my favourite too. I never laughed so much. h2g2 is a must read book though the movie was not so good.
simpleHalakhah
misomichael wrote:
I think the true measure of a successful film adaptation is whether someone who has never read the books would come away from the film wanting to read them. Unfortunately, by cutting and rearranging and rewriting whole swaths of the story, and trimming or revising jokes to the point where there's little humor left, the Hitchhiker's film fails to make much sense or come across as funny, fails to convince anyone to try the books.

You are right. I retract my qualified praise for the movie.
Game Fortress
HHGTTG Was the best. I really didnt care for the last book in the series. It was funny (as always) but the story was vastly disapointing.
maxi2k6
In the defense of the movie... Every one of the different adaptations/rewritings of HHGTTG was vastly different to each other: The book was different to the radio show *which was the original medium the story appeared in*, the LPs where different as well... and of course the movie is different.

I like the books much better, but I found the movie extremely funny, loved marvin... and yeah, I've even got I friend who picked up the book after loving the movie Very Happy
dexterius
I really would like to hear the radio show, i only read the book and saw the movies but i never heard the first form "Radio show". It have to be great Laughing
supposing
I also recommend the Salmon of Doubt for all D.A. fans.

And for Hitchhiker's fans: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml

The text-based game D.A. wrote-- fun, funny, and hard. You have to try to think with his crazy logic o_O.
irsmart
I absolutely love his books!
Dean_The_Great
Douglas Adams is amazing. Hands down, for certain. All five Hitchhikers books are awesome, and I absolutely loved his book called Dirk Gently: Hollistic Detective. His monty-python-esque English humour is fantastic with its dry, sarcastic edge.

I'd say with this brand of writing/comedy, you either love it or hate it, get it or you don't. Not really much middle ground. But I love it.