You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What martial art do you practice?

For those of you who are invloved in martial arts:

Name the style of martial art you practice and give information about it:
I'm blue belt level in karate, which is a main-stream Japanese martial arts sport. The belt systems sometimes vary I'm told, but in my dojo the belt system goes like this: White, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, then black. After you become a black belt there are different levels - weapons etc.
I practice Wingchun. Does anyone here practice Wingchun?
I practice wingchung in Vietnam.
My grandpa is a tae-kwon-do grand master. That is just one of about 1000 things I wish I had stuck with.
I'm 8th kyu in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (modern name for the only true form of Ninjutsu which is led by Grandmaster Masaki Hatsumi)
i practice Tarung Drajat a modern full (rough) bodyontact martial art in indonesia

its practically suitable for a street fight, no rules fight like valetudo
I studied Bujinkan Ninjutsu for several years attaining nidan (2nd Dan), was offered a 3rd Dan but turned it down, not interested in belts.

Then I went into NHB and did that for a few years along with Wing Chun which I still practice and also the Russian systema, I now blend what I like from these arts and mold it into whats more or less uniquely my own expression.
brodymosley wrote:
For those of you who are invloved in martial arts:

Name the style of martial art you practice and give information about it:

I have a history as follows:
1 year of Greco-Roman Wrestling
2 years of Judo
1 year of CQB through US Army
3 years of Wing Tsun

Currently am studying Xing Yi Quan with Stephan Yan at
New Zealand Wu Tao Society in Wellington. Stephan also teaches all three internal arts as well as Chi Na.

I personally found that Wing Tsun was somewhat effective in my past job as a bouncer. I changed from WT to XYQ simply because Wing Tsun is very rigid and structured in its forms, not in use but IMHO it didn't feel very natural. Xing Yi on the other hand has the same type of centre line and attack attack attack principles but moves around the room a lot more and has a very well documented histrory.
I just found this link on Wing Chun Archives site. I hadn't seen it before, it seems to come from Bruce Lee's personal collection of films.

from the site "It says "Bruce Lee Home Movies Circa 1956". Maybe someone can shed some lights on this clip. I was just told that this clip was featured on John Little's (Bruce lee historian) documentary A Warriors Journey. John came across it when Linda Lee gave him unlimited access to Bruce's notes etc. I've just been told, "The wing chun fighter is wu chan nam. The challenger is a northern style of praying mantis. Wang Kiu is referee clearly on the right in the beginning of the clip with a white shirt." - Thanks Erol."
A Little guideline to proper qi management for you martiaql art style. this will work for all schools as it helps line up you Qi meridians.

I will start with The Nine Essences as they are easier to convey and pertain to the "Pi Chuan" posture (Metal Element) of Hsing I.

1. Body, never can be powerful if leaning forward, backward, left or right. This means keep the head erect and the whole spine straight (not rigid). When you drop in posture, drop in the legs, don 't bend your back and misplace your center.

2. Shoulders, must be relaxed and dropping downward. Allow your shoulders to move along naturally with each other. It is through the shoulders that strength from the torso is transferred to the hands. A common problem area for the novice is excess tension in the shoulders. This unnatural tension will block the easy flow of energy through the meridians of the arms. This rule warns against the problem.

3. Arms, left arm stretched forward at chest level, right arm bent around right ribs. Embrace the space of the arm pits. Be bent but not flexed, stretched but not straight. Too bent cannot reach far; too straight cannot be powerful. This references the classic Metal hand position. Energy flows in curves. The curve must be maintained through the whole limb. Do not "ground out" by closing the armpits. Maintain a golf ball size space.

4. Hands, right hand to armpit and then to navel, left hand held as high as the chest. The latter relaxed, the former be strengthened also. Both hands palm side downward, strength be even. The right hand will arc through the left armpit and come to reside at the navel as the posture is formed The left hand is Yang and the right Yin. The Mind must be present in both hands.

5. Fingers, separated, curved as shallow hook, "Hu Kou" (Tiger's Mouth) rounded, taut but relaxed. Focus strength at fingers but never forcefully. Here, strength means "Intention." Do not tense the muscles of the hand, simply stretch them moderately in the physical sense, and then allow your mind to come to reside outward through your fingers to infinity. You are also warned not to force this attitude. "Tiger Mouth" is the space between tip of the index finger and the tip of the thumb.

6. Legs, left to front, right holding back. Be straight but not, be bow but straight, shape of a chicken's leg. The word "holding" here refers to "rooting" through the rear leg. You create a condition of passive flexion to realize a relaxed springiness in the ready position. The correct posture actually resembles that of a chicken.

7. Feet, all toes of front foot pointing forward, never to sides. Back foot close to 45 to 60 degrees sideward, following the lower leg. Separation is up to the individual. Toes be firm. Stand natural for you. Gradually as leg strength improves you will adjust your stance appropriately. Hollow the "Bubbling Well" (Kidney 1) point and passively grip the ground with the whole foot.

8. Hips, be tilted upward and forward so that "Chi" can be transferred to the limbs easily, or energy will be scattered. Do not force, just passively bring the pelvis forward and align the lower lumbar with the rest of the spine.

9. Tongue, "Chi" will be weak if tongue is not raised to the palate. Energy will sink to the Tan Tien if eyes staring. Hair standing, muscle on face be iron and inner organs are hardened. I save the most difficult for last. The tongue must be stuck to the palate just behind the teeth to connect the circuit of the Du (Governor) and the Ren (Conception) meridians. The tongue acts as a fuse and if this connection is not formed, your practice may lead to over accumulation of "Fire" in the Brain. It is important to realize that you do not "Stare," AT anything, rather, by diffusing your focus and relaxing, the "Chi" will sink of its own accord. When this occurs, the "Chi" will circulate freely causing a sensation of your hair standing on end. Betray no emotion while practicing, as this will tend to draw the mind outside, removing vital energy circulation through the organs. Kept inside, the organs will be protected (hardened).

(Again, my comments in Italics)

The Eight fundamentals have many levels of interpretation. Far too many to discuss here, so I shall list them and make a very brief comment on the key phrase of each. The rest will come clear little by little as the student progresses. They should be re-read occassionally, pondered a bit and put away until later. In this way, they will become ingrained in the practice.

Upthrust your head as if upthrusting the roof.
Upthrust your tongue to the palate.
Upthrust your palms upward as if upholding objects.
Understanding the three upthrusts, strength is built to lift the trees.
Here, strength means unified strength of Mind and Body.

Suppress downward your chin but gaze straight forward.
Suppress your hands with upper arms but be natural.
Suppress your feet with waist and back but be closely linked.
Understanding the three suppresses, Spirit and Mind are induced.
By observing the three suppresses, the three gates of the spine (WeiLu, Ming Men, Yu Jen) will be allowed to open and energy will ascend the spine to the Occiput or Crown point (Pai Hui).

Curve of the shoulders and back to be a hemisphere.
Chest curved, Chi is broadened. Hu Kou (Tiger's Mouth) to be curved as a crescent moon.
Understanding the three curves, the secret is unveiled.
The "secret" here is Chi circulation.

"Tan Tien" (Lower abdomen) to be embraced with Chi as the root.
Heart to be embraced with body as the basis.
Arms to be embraced with four limbs firmly still.
Understanding the three embraces, body is guarded.
Guarded against illness and attack.

With Chi sunk in Tan Tien, illness is excluded.
With upper arm sinking downward, deep meaning there hidden.
With elbows sinking downward, shoulders are the roots.
Understanding the three sinks, body is keen and shrewd.
Ready to issue energy with great speed and power from one’s center point.

Arms as bows like the crescent moon.
Wrists thrusting outward like the crescent moon.
Legs and Knees bent like the crescent moon.
Understanding the three crescent moons, posture is best oriented.
For ease of energy circulation and usage for power.

Neck shortened and upward stopping, body is upstraight.
Body stop on four sides.
Legs and Knees downward stopping as roots of trees.
Understanding the three stops, Kung Fu is well rooted.
In Kung Fu, "Rooting" is a term which refers to a part physical, part mental 'linkage" to the Earth under one's feet.

Eyes sensitive.
Heart sensitive.
Hands sensitive.
Understanding the three sensitives, posture is invincible.
Here, the invincible is referencing fighting technique. The Eyes must watch for subtle change in the opponent, the Heart must feel for subtle changes of intensity in the opponent, and the Hands must stay light and alive, attaching to and guiding the opponents flow of motion and energy of attack. Otherwise the response will be less than adequate.