FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP and platform issues

DoctorBeaver
I'm looking for a particular database application to enhance my site. I've found several examples written in PHP & they all look as if they'll do the job. Now, I thought PHP was supposed to be platform independent; but all the apps I've found state the platform as Linux, Windows, osx or something called Freebsd (what's that?). Would I be right in assuming that none of them would work on Frihost?
wumingsden
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I'm looking for a particular database application to enhance my site. I've found several examples written in PHP & they all look as if they'll do the job. Now, I thought PHP was supposed to be platform independent; but all the apps I've found state the platform as Linux, Windows, osx or something called Freebsd (what's that?). Would I be right in assuming that none of them would work on Frihost?

A server is needed for PHP to run. Linux, Windows, osx, Freebsd are Servers. FriHost is run on Linux RedHats (I beliveve).

FreeBSD is an advanced BSD UNIX® operating system for the Intel® compatible (x86), DEC Alpha and PC-98 architectures. ~ http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+FreeBSD&meta=
DoctorBeaver
OK, thanks. It's just that I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that Frihost runs on Apache
wumingsden
DoctorBeaver wrote:
OK, thanks. It's just that I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that Frihost runs on Apache

Apache is Server software, the server I believe is a Linux Redhat (although i maybe wrong).

Quote:

Apache is an open-source (source code is freely available and can be shared) HTTP Web server software. It is currently the most popular web server on the Net. It is usually run on Unix operating system versions like Linux or BSD, but it can also be run on Windows. It is a full-featured server with many powerful add-ons freely available. Apache's major competitor is Microsoft's IIS.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+Apache&meta=

~ I wouldn't try and think about it too much unless you want to run your own server. It hurts my brain Crying or Very sad
DoctorBeaver
wumingsden - yeah, it is. I've been reading up a bit more about it. That means the DB package I've downloaded will work ok. But now I've set myself another problem.
I don't to just whack the app onto my site (when I get it) & then have to bugger around with it. I want it spot on before I upload it. So, I downloaded PHP thinking that's all I'd need. Uh-uh... WRONG! In the installation doc it says I need a web server installed 1st. So, after a lot more reading & hunting I've tracked down Xitami, which seems to do what's necessary & has recieved a lot of praise. Now all I've got to do is get the whole lot talking to each other Confused
I dare say I'll have a few more questions in the near future lol. Why oh why do I do these things!