FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Teacher Caught in Bush Rant

smalls
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3560566
Check out this article. The page also includes a link to the actual audio. This guy blew my mind. Maybe I just wasn't versed enough in politics to understand what was being fed to me, but I really don't think I ever had to deal with nut jobs like this when I was in school.
Ridiculous!
wumingsden
What about free speech ?

Quote:

Moses also said the district will be fair to Bennish. "People in life make mistakes occasionally," he said. "We address them. We learn from them."

It doesn't seem to me that he is dillusional, it sounds that hes sane enough to know what he's saying. You also have to admit that hes not wrong about what he says on tape ~ direct link is: here

~ Update: You should listen to the whole audio clip, it is quite a eye-opener. It also shows that Bush is quite a dictator himself which I didn't see before.
smalls
wumingsden wrote:
What about free speech ?

The guy is "free" to say whatever he wants. I'm certainly not saying he should go to jail. But in a public school you have a captive audience. These kids aren't "free" to get up and leave if they want to. They are forced to listen to this guy rant. And no, I don't agree with what he said. The war might have been a bad idea, but Capitalism certainly isn't. Captialism has provided freedom and wealth for more people than any other economic system. By the way, if I was a public school teacher, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to say that in a class. This guy was teaching Geography, not politics, not economics, not government....geography.
bgillingham
Another person loses their job for speaking the truth.

I will say it. America is bordering on being the most destructive country to ever have been. America is responsible for making the Middle-East a war zone. America has had a bad foreign policy for decades. Bush has dreams of world conquest. If God told him to forgive his neighbor, would he?

Go ahead, fire ME! I am unemployed right now.
wumingsden
smalls wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
What about free speech ?

The guy is "free" to say whatever he wants. I'm certainly not saying he should go to jail. But in a public school you have a captive audience. These kids aren't "free" to get up and leave if they want to. They are forced to listen to this guy rant. And no, I don't agree with what he said. The war might have been a bad idea, but Capitalism certainly isn't. Captialism has provided freedom and wealth for more people than any other economic system. By the way, if I was a public school teacher, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to say that in a class. This guy was teaching Geography, not politics, not economics, not government....geography.

He's not free to say what he wants because like the post above tells us is that "Another person loses their job for speaking the truth". So I guess there is no such thing as free speech in the US
smalls
wumingsden wrote:
He's not free to say what he wants because like the post above tells us is that "Another person loses their job for speaking the truth". So I guess there is no such thing as free speech in the US

You misunderstand free speech. Free speech protects us from prosecution (much like is currently happening around Europe, where they have laws that restrict speech with penalty of incarceration). Free speech does not protect us from losing our jobs. If I told my boss that I think he's an idiot, I can't go to jail for that, but I can certainly be fired for it.
I would think this guy was an idiot if he was spouting republican campaign rhetoric in class to. It's not about which side he's taking. It's that he's taking a side at all.
wumingsden
smalls wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

You misunderstand free speech. Free speech protects us from prosecution (much like is currently happening around Europe, where they have laws that restrict speech with penalty of incarceration). Free speech does not protect us from losing our jobs. If I told my boss that I think he's an idiot, I can't go to jail for that, but I can certainly be fired for it.
I would think this guy was an idiot if he was spouting republican campaign rhetoric in class to. It's not about which side he's taking. It's that he's taking a side at all.

He was fired from his job because he is a teacher. Not because he went on a rant (most of my teachers do this) but because he spoke out against the US Government, so in my opinion this suggests that free speech is not practised in all parts of the US. I guess we'll have to agree that we disagree. Very Happy
Jeslyn
First, he wasn't fired... at least not yet. It says he was place on leave 'to relieve stress'.
His job isn't to voice his opinions,especially in such an extreme manner, be they true or faulty, his job is to teach whatever the school deemed appropriate.
wumingsden
Jeslyn wrote:
First, he wasn't fired... at least not yet. It says he was place on leave 'to relieve stress'.
His job isn't to voice his opinions,especially in such an extreme manner, be they true or faulty, his job is to teach whatever the school deemed appropriate.

True he has not yet got fired but "Bennish was placed on leave". Also I think what makes a good teacher is for them to have their own opinion as well as there own unique teaching methods otherwise nobody would learn nothing. Has anybody actually listened to the full 18whatever minutes ?
SunburnedCactus
wumingsden wrote:
Jeslyn wrote:

True he has not yet got fired but "Bennish was placed on leave". Also I think what makes a good teacher is for them to have their own opinion as well as there own unique teaching methods otherwise nobody would learn nothing. Has anybody actually listened to the full 18whatever minutes ?

A teacher is meant to teach people in a non-judgemental way with no bias, so that their students can make up their own minds based on what they have been taught.
Purgatorios
smalls wrote:

Free speech protects us from prosecution (much like is currently happening around Europe, where they have laws that restrict speech with penalty of incarceration). Free speech does not protect us from losing our jobs. If I told my boss that I think he's an idiot, I can't go to jail for that, but I can certainly be fired for it.

I think the question of what speech can get you fired needs to be examined.
You're right that there is a difference between having the right to free speech and having protection from all consequences of speech. Sure, calling your boss an idiot will probably get you fired. But what happened here was not attacking someone else on the job, but expressing an opinion. The question I think we should be asking is not "Can't people get fired for what they say?" but "Does the nature of his job justify an absolute prohibition on political opinion.

smalls wrote:

I agree that "taking a side" is not something that a teacher should do without something to balance his viewpoint. My doubts, though, are about where the line is drawn on "taking a side". It sounds like Bennish delivered his "rant" as correct belief, which is not at all a useful way of teaching, and an abuse of power of minors. But I wonder, if he had lectured eloquently on the long history of capitalist and imperialist human rights abuses and substantiated his claim that the US is "probably the single most violent nation on planet Earth" with statistics about murder rates and the histories of support for invasions of El Salvador and Guatemala or the terrorist wars against Nicaragua and Cuba, would the different context change anything? Hopefully in these cases offended students and parents or scared administrators would be agitating for the opposing viewpoint of Oliver North, not the silencing tactic of dismissal.
Soulfire
bgillingham wrote:
Another person loses their job for speaking the truth.

I will say it. America is bordering on being the most destructive country to ever have been. America is responsible for making the Middle-East a war zone. America has had a bad foreign policy for decades. Bush has dreams of world conquest. If God told him to forgive his neighbor, would he?

Go ahead, fire ME! I am unemployed right now.

Islam is to blame for the instability in the Middle East. Had they not pissed us off by blowing up our buildings and killing our citizens, we wouldn't have had to go there, would we? We couldn't just sit back and let them develop nukes and let them continue to kill our innocent citizens, someone had to have the balls to do something.

I'll admit that the foreign policy could use some work, but it's not as bad as everyone thinks. The world just automatically thinks we hate everyone, when lo and behold... we're trying to help them out.

Who is it that rushes in, pledging billions of dollars in relief to the countries that harbor the terrorists that kill our citizens? Who is it that holds everyone's hand through every crisis? Sorry, but your superhero is gone. Someone needed to take stand in the middle east, courtesy the red, white, and blue.

And what justification do you have for the outrageous claim that he wants to take over the world? Some Islam propaganda, perhaps?
bgillingham
This is getting off topic. The teacher was placed on administrative leave because of his rants during class. The students protested because he was removed - not because of what he was saying.

On Hanity and Colmes on FoxNews, they misrepresented the story by implying that the classroom walked out due to his rant. Their headline was something like "Classroom walks out following teachers Bush rant" - which is true.... the walking out followed the rant, but they walked out because the teacher was suspended. CNN this morning also failed to mention the cause of the walkout. Blame the teacher!

The teacher has every right to speak his mind during his class - as long as he gets his teaching job done as well. He must also be clear that his personal views are not actual Geography (the class he teaches).

The best part is the content of what he is saying. Take some of the quotes such as "that sounds an awful lot like Adolf Hitler". Whether or not you agree with anything he said, he has this right. What ever happened to "that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,".

I have to correct Soulfire. Historically speaking, Islam has been a peaceful religion since its inception. Well, anyway - the instability is caused by the fact that Zionist Imperialists (US) have invaded their land. It is automatic for them to defend their country against our occupation - and in the name of Allah.

Remember, the Crusades? Remember that christian armies defeated the ottoman empire?
horseatingweeds
I listened to the whole thing and there was nothing about geography. Fire the idiot!

If it was a political science class, good work!

I remember getting teachers in a rant. It was an excelent way to suck up time and push off tests.....
wumingsden
-locked-

by WuMingsDen