FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FormMail

Kees
Hi everyone,

I want to install a FormMail on my site so people can easily contact me
via my website.

Doe anyone have a tutorial or could anyone explain me how I can do this.
I ask this because I'm just new here and don't know how that CGI-bin works Wink Wink .

Greetz Kees Very Happy Very Happy Wink .
thnn
I suggest you use the php mail function.

or else you can use a cgi-script which may be harder to configure and make though.
Kees
I use the CGI-script.

Is there an altenative because it's really hard to configure.

where can I download this alternative??

greetz Kees Very Happy Very Happy .
Kees
k, I donwloaded a formmail from: www.tectite.com/

Still I don't know how to configure this thing. Does anyone have experience with this FormMail? Could that person explain it to me?
deni
Kees wrote:
k, I donwloaded a formmail from: www.tectite.com/

Still I don't know how to configure this thing. Does anyone have experience with this FormMail? Could that person explain it to me?

this formMail is good. I install him on mywebsite men. It is best software i have ever seen.
Vrythramax
It's been awhile since I used Formmail, but as far as I know there are 3 variables that must be changed in the script itself for it to work for you.

The shebang line must be changed to the location of PERL on your host, this is the first line in the ForMail.pl script...for Frihost it should read:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

The line which reads:

Code:
$mailprog = '/usr/lib/sendmail -i -t';

must be changed to:

Code:
$mailprog = '/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t';

this is also for use on Frihost.

The line reading:

Code:
@referers = ('scriptarchive.com','YOUR_IP');

must be changed to reflect yourdomain.com, your_FriHost_subdomain.net, and /or YOUR_IP_ADRRESS. You do not need to include your IP address here if you don't want to, but it is a good idea. If you want to allow people from other websites to use your FormMail script, you must add thier domain names and/or IP addresses to that line as well.

Be sure to read the README file included with the script as it will give you more information about how to setup your forms properly for use with the script. More detailed info can be found at the [FormMail] authors website...http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html

Hope this helps Smile
Kees
thank you very much.

Very Happy Very Happy .
Vrythramax
@Kees...

After you upload the script be sure to change the file permissions on it to 755, I don't know what ftp program you are using so I can't really tell you how to go about it. You may not even have to do it, FriHost may have the server set to automatically set the permissions on any file you upload to your cgi-bin...if you run into any trouble you can either PM me and I'll see what I can do to get you up and running, or you could send Frihost support a note asking for more detailed info.

Good luck and happy scripting Smile
lukeropro
speaking of ftp, I recommend filezilla, the best ftp program yet.
Kees
Vrythramax wrote:
@Kees...

After you upload the script be sure to change the file permissions on it to 755, I don't know what ftp program you are using so I can't really tell you how to go about it. You may not even have to do it, FriHost may have the server set to automatically set the permissions on any file you upload to your cgi-bin...if you run into any trouble you can either PM me and I'll see what I can do to get you up and running, or you could send Frihost support a note asking for more detailed info.

Good luck and happy scripting Smile

It might sound stupid but where do I need a FTP program for and what is a FTP program.

The permission is already 755 so that's fine.....

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes srry Kees......
Vrythramax
FTP is the File Transfer Protocal, and the ftp program is used to transfer files from your computer to another computer. I had assumed that it was the software you were using to transfer the script to Frihost....my mistake.

Hope all is working now Smile
Kees
oke,

I just uploaded the .pl script. (it's still not working)
Is that wrong?

What kind of ftp program do you reccomand?
Vrythramax
Kees wrote:
oke,

I just uploaded the .pl script. (it's still not working)
Is that wrong?

What kind of ftp program do you reccomand?

I personally use WS_FTP Pro, another popular program is Cute FTP. If you don't want to shell out hard earned $$$ you may want to check out Coffee Cup Software, they have a free FTP program that is pretty good...there is also other free downloadable web design software there as well.

When you do upload your script make sure it [the ftp prgram] uploads it as ascii (text) and not as a binary file, then chmod the file permissions to 755, the script should then work...as long as your form has the required fields in it.

Hope this helps Smile