FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Voice over LAN

quartz
Hi,
Is there any Voice over Local area network software aviable?
Voice over internet depends on internet connection speed and is bit too slow
ocalhoun
What I think you are looking for is called a softphone.
*goes to the trouble of finding a suitable one for you*
This aught to do.
SJphone
You will not, of course be able to make calls outside of the LAN, and you'll have to know the IP adress of who you want to call, but this should work.
You install a microphone, speakers, and this software on your computer, and then you can talk to simularly equipped computers on the same network.
pjv
I was looking for a similar software the other day and found this one http://www.peerio.com/peeriobiz.php I haven't tested it though. It uses a serverless architecture. It has a lot of feature and I think its great. I'll try to test it one of these days. Surprised
MDDesign
can you get it for the pda because i have one and want to use it like a smart phone!
theerawate
I am test SJphone .
SJphone is good , Free , easy to use !
virtualsom
The simplest and the readly available out of the box voice / video chat application is Netmeeting on windows. On LAN, it works really well .

Netmeeting is installed default on on win nt / 2K and XP. To start Netmeeting , Type "conf" or " conf.exe " at the RUN command box or the command prompt.

- Virtualsom
djcaution
lol when I read this I thought 'why the heck would you want a phone that only works in your house...' and then I thought bigger and realized how dumb that was Very Happy
dcshoes23
MDDesign wrote:
can you get it for the pda because i have one and want to use it like a smart phone!

I found one that you can use on Pocket PC, it's called Skype http://www.skype.com/ it can be used over the internet or over lan I believe. You might want to give that a try.

Thanks
Urahara
If you're just talking about being able to talk instead of typing in LANs...

Last time I went to a LAN party we used a software called myJabber, where you typed out the player's seat number and you would be able to talk to them.

I personally prefer Teamspeak/Ventrilo, those work over LANs too, takes minutes to setup, very fast and easy.