FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Questions about using Linux SSH

seanooi
I'm planning to rent a server with linux fedora core 4 installed in it.

But the problem is, since this is my first time ever renting a server, I have doubs about me being able to know how to use SSH.

So I would really hope that someone out there would give me a simple and good explanation about it. If there are any screenshot available, I think that would help more.

Thans in advance.
mwm
seanooi wrote:
I'm planning to rent a server with linux fedora core 4 installed in it.

But the problem is, since this is my first time ever renting a server, I have doubs about me being able to know how to use SSH.

So I would really hope that someone out there would give me a simple and good explanation about it. If there are any screenshot available, I think that would help more.

Thans in advance.

SSH screenshots... hmmm. SSH is a protocol used to connect to a host running SSH. There are various SSH clients that can be used to connect to a host running SSH. PUTTY.exe is a free one but its also rather limited in scope. OPENSSH.org has a free, open source ssh client. I prefer to use SecureCRT for my SSH needs.

Why SSH? Is it more secure than telnet. Telnet was the standard connection protocol for years before SSH. The major issue is that telnet send password as clear text. You dont really want your connect password floating about as text in cyber world.

I recommend grabbing putty. Its easy to create a connection to your host wother by hostname or IP address. You'll be flyin in no time.

Hope this helps

-mwm
seanooi
what about executing a program? How will I be able to do that as Linux doesn't have anything like microsoft's remote desktop? Or i might be wrong about that.
mwm
seanooi wrote:
what about executing a program? How will I be able to do that as Linux doesn't have anything like microsoft's remote desktop? Or i might be wrong about that.

ahhhh.... If you are looking for a remote desktop session, beyond a shell session then you are not really looking for SSH connectivity. Take a look at VNC (Tight VNChttp://www.tightvnc.com/). This can get a desktop with a few firewall port exceptions...

-mwm
MyITLab
You do not need VNC (or any graphical means) to execute a Linux program, if the program is not graphical. If you tell us exactly what you're trying to do...ie, be more specific, you'll get better feedback.