FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has anyone here read the less known books of douglass adams?

ocalhoun
Examples of what I'm referring to:
Dirk gently's holistic detective agency
The long, dark tea time of the soul

Admittedly, they pale in comparison to the hitchker's guide, but they're still good.
What do you think of them?

By the way, one of my signature's lines refers to the second book I mentioned.
benwhite
They're both part of the Dirk Gently series, which is also very very funny. Especially the bit about his refrigerator. Good stuff.
Nameless
I've read every single book of Douglass Adams, but the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (but only the first 3 books) series is still my favourite.
Tumbleweed
I have read some of the Dirk Gently series...... how he gets the mechanic to fix his brokendown car allways makes me laff
KernEnergie
I have read the Dirk Gently series, but H2G2 makes me laugh more, it's more imaginative and fantastic. But I really enjoy Dirk Gently, I mean the character.
dexterius
I know many of his books. Especialy the Dirk Gently was really good. This was maybe better book as The Hitchhiker's guide to galaxy ( for me ). Wink
He is a great writer ( was ) Sad It's so sad that he can't write more stuff.
riv_
THe Long Dark Teatime of the Soul is one of my favorite books of all time. Haven't read it in a few years though.
One of the other rants that gets me rolling on the floor laughing every time is the bit about noses in the Salmon of Doubt.
Anyways, I'm grateful, in a way, for the Hitchhiker's movie... they're reprinting all of his more obscure books, so I can get new copies and reread some of the ones that never returned from being on loan!
zebrabongo
I read the Dirk Gently Omnibus a while back and I just found it too wierd.
I mean the Guide is strange but it has nothing on this.

Parts of it is quite enjoyable but mostly confusing, as it should be Wink

I have an idea that I could try out in this forum:

Do you remember the sofa that was stuck in Dirks stairway?

Does anyone, besides me, believe that this is the same sofa as the one
being transported through space and time, along with Ford and Arthur, in the Guide?

Think about it.

Anyway.....I have to promote Starship Titanic. Although it is not written by Adams it is in the same spirit and universe.
The Starship Titanic is briefly mentioned in the Guide if you recall.
ocalhoun
My favourite part in the dirk gently series:
When the child saves him the trouble of kicking himself.
Ljsk
Haven't read them but I will look them up.
Tumbleweed
Ljsk wrote:
Haven't read them but I will look them up.

Just follow someone(anyone).........maybe you will find them Razz

zebrabongo wrote:
being transported through space and time, along with Ford and Arthur, in the Guide?.

lol......yes very most probably........its free in one and and trapped in another
drkarthi
I have read both Dirk Gently series and Hitchhikers guide to galaxy series(My Favourite) and read little of Salmon Of Doubt. I am looking for his other books like Starship Titanic and Meaning of liff, etc but didnt get it yet.
zebrabongo
tumbleweed wrote:

zebrabongo wrote:
being transported through space and time, along with Ford and Arthur, in the Guide?.

lol......yes very most probably........its free in one and and trapped in another

Great!

So at least I'm not crazy.
Or maybe you are crazy. And that would make me crazy too.

Can I get a second opinion?
riv_
@zebrabongo;
Beautiful observation about the sofas!
The first time I read Hitchiker, I went back and read the beginning a couple of times, because I thought I'd missed something when I got to the "Not again" in the whale and the potted plant scene. I was devastated when I go to the end (premature thought it may have been) of the series and never encountered the rest of the story! Embarassed