FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SkyOS

tony
Anyone out there also a SkyOS fan? I like the software package this operating system is bundled with. especially apps like pixel image editor and the mono dev platform. biggest problem i have with it is the lack of printer support.
Xeniczone
Hmm... never hurd or it can you give us some detail into what it is. Maybe a link to a homepage?
Zuwiki
Well, I've never used it, because I would rather not pay, but it is pretty interesting. I haven't noticed any special features mentioned on the site other than claiming to be easy to use. I will stick to *nix, but it is still pretty interesting.
tony
Xeniczone wrote:
Hmm... never hurd or it can you give us some detail into what it is. Maybe a link to a homepage?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyOS
Xeniczone
wow I need to try that out it is very origanal compared to windows linux and mac (well windows copied of mac so I guess mac is origanal)
anurag_bhd
Is te SkyOS another distro of Linux??? On cheking the wiki of SkyOS, I came to the conclusion that it must be a distro of Linux. But I am still doubting this fact. Can anyone tell me about it??? The desktop gives a look similar to that of linux but the GUI resembles a Mac. What's it really? Confused
superbyte
Looks like a full featured Linux Distro, but something makes SkyOS look even more original a user friendly. I haven't tried it but saw many screenshots with amazing graphics at www.skyos.org
DarkAkira
Anyone have a link for a possible free copy of it. I'd like to try it before I decide on anything, it looks ok, but I need to test it
tony
skyos is not a distro of linux but its mostly posix-based so it is very similar to linux/unix operating systems. i dunno where to get a demo - if someone knows, please say.
Gieter
Quote:

Is SkyOS a Linux distribution? Is SkyOS a *nix? Is SkyOS BeOS?
No, no, and no. SkyOS is an operating system written from scratch. It isn’t based on any other operating system.

Seems quite clear to me. SkyOS is a fully independant operating system.

In order to download SkyOS, go to http://www.skyos.org and go to "Get SkyOS."

I actually never heard of it before (*shame*), but I really like the graphics.
Srs2388
looks like a combinatin of mac osx and windows xp.....
a cleaner look
and stuff looks okay
tony
Srs2388 wrote:
looks like a combinatin of mac osx and windows xp.....
a cleaner look
and stuff looks okay

definately user-friendly and pretty. however, driver issues are serious.
Kd527
It looks kinda nice especially for a beta. I'm assuming it's a form of Linux, right? I still think I'll pretty much stick with Mac OS X but this looks like a cool alternative for PC users. Wink
windowsx.com
Looks like I need to resurrect an old box to test this on. I find that almost all OS's end up with driver issues so I would probably dual boot with a version of Windows that is small but can access the web to grab necessary files. Also be aware that sometimes directories created in Windows may not be able to be read by the alternate OS. I would recommend using FAT folders if you want to share files between the two installs.
{name here}
I'd love to try this, but I'm not going to fork over money to simply play with something that probably won't work on my computer.
Arno v. Lumig
{name here} wrote:
I'd love to try this, but I'm not going to fork over money to simply play with something that probably won't work on my computer.

Exactly. I wanted to buy it once, but didn't do it after all because I don't feel like paying for an OS that is beta, so probably not all that stable and feature rich... The betas should be free, in my opinion...
Studio Madcrow
SkyOS was once very promising and interesting, but the move to a for-pay system really killed it. If anybody here remembers what happened to the IPB forum package (once freeware, but now payware despite promises that it would remain free forever), the same thing happened to SkyOS.
mehulved
Kd527 wrote:
It looks kinda nice especially for a beta. I'm assuming it's a form of Linux, right?
If you do go through the thread again, you'll realise that it's not linux at all. Rather this is a proprietory OS.
ammonkc
I watched a few demo videos of skyOS about a year or two ago, and it looked pretty slick. but I have never seen anything about skyOS in the wild. skyOS has a proprietary kernel written from scratch. I also seem to remember this OS being a paid-for product.

I really don't think this can compete with a linux distro as an alternative OS, because there is not going to be as much support for drivers and third party software. Couple that with the fact the support will be extremely limited, I don't really so it going anywhere. Its good as a proof of concept at best.
gh0stface
Kind of cool. Although it reminds me a lot of LiteStep as well. Mainly with the way the gui looks.
THE11thROCK™
Looks generally awesome. Never installed it yet but i'll give it a try. Hopefully it can be a good alternative or maybe a sidestep from my usual XP, Vista, Ubuntu and SUSE. I think that this SkyOS will be better if it remains free like many Linux distributions. It kind of looks like KDE in Kubuntu but with the OS X Tiger's resemblance. I'll check it and post back here for anything new and good I see.
YellowShadow
Great operating system but if it was open-source the development would speed up a bit.

Looks great though.
{name here}
YellowShadow wrote:
Great operating system but if it was open-source the development would speed up a bit.

Looks great though.

Not really true. osFree has been out for almost 10 years with little progress made, and yet it is open source(development has sped up recently just a bit), yet this thing is pretty much finished - osFree doesn't even have FreePM built yet. The only way to get decent progress with operating systems these days is if you hire people to work on the code like the guys over at Haiku-OS did.
Talk2Tom11
So is this just another type of Linux... or is it built on different technology. Also, does it have a 64-bit version?
DarkAkira
Talk2Tom11 wrote:
So is this just another type of Linux... or is it built on different technology. Also, does it have a 64-bit version?

If you would read the thread, you would clearly see that others have stated that it IS NOT a distro of linux.
Arnie
It used to be free. I still have one of the last free versions on CD. But that wasn't as graphical and nice as the newer versions appear to be...
ThePolemistis
tony wrote:
Anyone out there also a SkyOS fan? I like the software package this operating system is bundled with. especially apps like pixel image editor and the mono dev platform. biggest problem i have with it is the lack of printer support.

kindof looks rubbish to me... seems like some cheap graphics not professionally made..
I mean look at the windows -- its too gray jus like the win 9xs. What happened to colour?
the icons (on desktop) seems a copy from the linux ones.

Then again,, this is from the screenshots... maybe once ppl try it , it may be different. But so far,, i think Windows or ANY linux OS beats it.
Mannix
Looks like watered-down Linux to me. ...Why not just go Gentoo? It's the best Linux distro I've ever tried. ...Finds its own updates, etc. ...A little of a pain to install initially though.
billgertz
i think its more like a hybrid linux distro. what makes its different is the hardware compatibility since it only has limited compatible devices.. check the file system and the file extensions that were used. it is more similar to linux for me. the looks can be deceiving. the icon collection looks similar to Windows Vista/Macintosh icons. pretty much, this OS is relatively a baby.
Arnie
It's not a hybrid Linux distribution, it's a one-man project by some guy with too much time on his hands! Do you people actually read before you post!? Mac OS X is also POSIX compliant, does that make it Linux? No!!
aleivag
Arnie wrote:
Mac OS X is also POSIX compliant, does that make it Linux? No!!

actualy thats`s true.. mac is based on BSD not linux... if you read GNU home page, Linux is not UNIX, but mac os X IS UNIX.

i`m not making a stand, i have in my home, macosx 10.4.10, windows xp sp2, fedora 7 and freebsd 6.2. so i use almost all the good OS in the market... i like linux as much as i like mac os x...

i use SkyOS and i dident found nothing that wasent allready on other sistems...

JBZ
DarkAkira
To the above poster"

You didnt see ANYTHING that wasnt in other OS's??

I tried the latest BETA, and they're were a few things that I havent seen in other OS's (not alot, but some).

I think you should update BETA and take a look.
aleivag
maibe i shoud try the BETA.....

what`s new in this OS???