FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My opinion on what makes a site good.

hobbes
I think we can all agree that google is the best search website. I think it is for a few reasons. It is very simple. There is one, small logo image and thats it. The background is white, makes it easy to read. A few relevant links at the top and bottom, nothing confusing. Now you can look at MSN or Yahoo or whatever, and the site is loaded with crap. News in the middle, advertising on the side. Links and pictures everywhere. and a small box hidden in the corner to search.

So maybe take some advice from google when you make your site. keep it simple! Lol. Also, I hate it when you go to the site, and you do not know what the site offers. It does not have a link to an about page explaining stuff, its just a whole bunch of stuff.

=) This is the way I am trying to design my website.
bangala
I certainly agree with you. Keep it simple and updated is the key.
hobbes
Also, a faq/contact email is really good. I remeber I searched a website for about a half hour looking for someway to contact the webmaster, but I couldnt.
bgbg
hobbes wrote:
I think we can all agree that google is the best search website. I think it is for a few reasons.

There is one, small logo image and thats it.

Well, it's the best search engine since it's the best search engine. Of course, the design helps a lot (more the usability, then a design, actually), but what really makes a difference is the engine itself.
agentblade
it's funny that the best things in life are usually simple things..

good rule of thumb in designing websites KISS.. keep it simple silly...
littlegiant
Yes there's no doubt that hitting a search engine home page that is not loaded to the rafters with ads, eye candy and other assorted fluff has proven to be much more desirable. It's too bad that MSN and Yahoo can't pick up on that principle and provide some stiffer competition because, as it stands, Google has somewhat of a monopoly on the search engine results and all that that entails with regards to web design, e.g. search engine marketing, search engine optimization, etc.

And not to be a stickler (okay maybe I am being one) but I think the KISS acronym officially stands for "keep it simple stupid" not "keep it simple silly"
agentblade
littlegiant wrote:
And not to be a stickler (okay maybe I am being one) but I think the KISS acronym officially stands for "keep it simple stupid" not "keep it simple silly"

heh..i know. I just used silly because I dun like to use the word stupid.. not very nice word to use.. Laughing