FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DDR 400 OR 333?

safak_funda
HI EVERYONE!
I USE AN AMD 3200 ATHLON 64 AND MS K8N NEO 4 F MANBOARDED SYSTEM. MY PROBLEM S THAT I HAD A KINGSTON DDR 400 PC 3200 512 MB RAM (3.0) SINCE I HAD THE SYSTEM.
YESTERDAY I BOUGHT A CORSAIR DDR 400 512 MB PC 3200 RAM BUT (2.5). I INSTALLED BOTH OF THEM ON THE CORRECT SLOTS. HOWEVER I RECEIVE THE MESSAGE "DDR 333 DUAL CHANNEL 128 BIT" AT THE STARTUP.
WHAT S THE REASON FOR THAT? HOW CAN I RECOVER THAT PROBLEM? IF I CAN'T WHAT DECREASE WILL I SEE AT THE PERFORMANCE? PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS.
SoftStag
I think the problem is due to the fact that if you want to use dual channel, then you need 2 identical memory sticks. The ones you have are similar, but not identical, so the BIOS trys to run them both at the same rate to take advantage of the dual channel.

The performance will be slightly less than if both sticks were the same, but should be much better than it was originally as you have more memory and dual channel is enabled.
MonkeyWrench
hhhmm weird, shouldnt happen, its probably just a harmless setting in bios, however its best that you speak to the people that you bought the RAM from.
gh0stface
SoftStag wrote:
I think the problem is due to the fact that if you want to use dual channel, then you need 2 identical memory sticks. The ones you have are similar, but not identical, so the BIOS trys to run them both at the same rate to take advantage of the dual channel.

You don't need identical to memory sticks to run dual channel. Having identical memory sticks just minimizes having problems.

He should be able to just fix the settings in the Bios.
seanooi
Hope that this might help. Very Happy

Dual-channel DDR works ONLY in the 3 combinations listed in the table shown above.
Please select the identical memory modules to install on the dual channel, and DO NOT install three memory modules on three DIMMs, or it may cause some failures.
Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are left empty.
This mainboard DO NOT support the memory module installed with more than 18 pieces of IC (integrated circuit).
The Maximum memory speed decreases when the following two memory combination is selected:
- Each channel is installed with two double-sided memory module
- Both DIMM1 and DIMM3 are installed with double-sided memory module
Due to the South Bridge resource deployment, the system density will only be detected up to 3+ GB (not full 4GB) when each DIMM is installed with an 1GB memory module

Source from [HERE]
Tvis
I don't know a lot from hardware on compu's, My dad has this laptop of which appeared 1 of his memory cards was broken. Before we found out, a lot of searching, crashing, slow compu. het has 2x 256mb DDR 266 insight. NowI happen to have a 256mb DDR 333 that I'm not using, can I replace the broken 266 with a 333. My dad has a compaq laptop and my memory was used on a HP laptop.

Can anyone tell me if I can just put it in and startup the compu? Or does he need 266 and nothing else????
safak_funda
yesterday tried another think at bios. cahnged the advanced chipset feautured under the bios. I found the advance chipset features and dram configuration under it. changed the cas latency rate from 3.0 t 2.5. now have the message that use ddr 4oo dual channel,128 bit ram at the startup with a 2.5 cl& 3.0 cl rams. hope wont have any more problems with that.

many thanks for your opinions and advices....
broti
2 different brands.. that could get hardware conflicts AND they dont work together as Dual channel. They have to be identic to eachother. It probably gets hardware conflicts in your case. I dont know for sure but its most probably!
Confused
Xeniczone
Quote:
2 different brands.. that could get hardware conflicts

That's windows Razz it would be a risk but you could try it as long as it is the same slot.

Like you can use pc133 memory in pc100 motherboards it wont make a differece because it is the same type just different speeds.
SoftStag
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
2 different brands.. that could get hardware conflicts

That's windows Razz it would be a risk but you could try it as long as it is the same slot.

Like you can use pc133 memory in pc100 motherboards it wont make a differece because it is the same type just different speeds.

It is nothing to do with Windows, the BIOS determines whether Dual Channel is used and the speed of the RAM.
gh0stface
This problem has been resolved.

-Locked-
broti wrote:
2 different brands.. that could get hardware conflicts AND they dont work together as Dual channel. They have to be identic to eachother. It probably gets hardware conflicts in your case. I dont know for sure but its most probably!
Confused

Just to let you know, you CAN use two different brands to run dual channels as evidence to the users post and various other message boards out there. It's just it's not recommended.