FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

recording on PC

Srs2388
I have been recording with my PC for a long time now, but... recently it keeps "clipping" on the input and i even unplugged my mic from the computer, and the input still is going all the way across
and there isn't anything playing at all
its going insane =(
please help me out here.
the program I have been using is "guitar rig"
and my sound card is sound blaster live
i have 256MB of RAM *sucks i know*
OS is windows XP home

how can i fix this?

i am going to buy a mac eventually they are much better for recording but for now if anyone can help me out here it is really annoying. thanks ahead of time.
djfreakske
maybe you just have a problem with your hardware, i know it is possible because i had a problem a while ago just like you. and it was just my soundcard that was broken. I just replaced the card with a new one and the problem was fixed. i dont know if it is the same problem but you should look it in if it was a hardware problem. Idea
Srs2388
thanks, i am confusef however, everything else seems to work great i ran diagnostics on it and everything showed up it was okay
does than mean the card its self is fine?
i also just plugged in a mic and it was working, it has trouble processing the sound i guess.... the weirdest thing is it was working just fine i had done a few recordings and one day it didn't do anything exept the volume was peaking and i wasn't doing anything
i then unplugged everything from the card and it was doing the same.
taricorp
I'd suggest that you try another program, maybe Audacity (available from sourceforge.net). It allows you to mess about with the input volume to prevent clipping, so if that doesn't help, your problem is probably the card.
Clash
taricorp wrote:
I'd suggest that you try another program, maybe Audacity (available from sourceforge.net). It allows you to mess about with the input volume to prevent clipping, so if that doesn't help, your problem is probably the card.
I'd go along with that, if the sound card is working in every other way, the only other cause has to be software. Is it also possible that you have another sound input device on your system?, you know onboard sound card, TV capture card or some such. There could be interference from it to the blaster.

think back and see is there anything you've installed recently that could be responsible. You could also try using Sound recorder to see if the problem is duplicated there. You don't have to install another software to check this.