FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help Predict Climate Change

What do you think of this experiment?
Great! I am already taking part!
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Great! I will install it now!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Maybe. I will think about it
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Rubbish. This will make no difference
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Can't be bothered with it
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Global Warming? What's that?
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

SoftStag
The BBC are organising the largest ever climate change experiment and you can take part!

Predicting climate change is very difficult and even the most powerful supercomputers take a long time to run models. In order to speed up the process and make more accurate predictions software has been written to run models on people's home computers and feed the data back to the researchers. This software makes use of available processing power on your computer, so when your PC is idle makes use of this time without affecting normal performance.

The more people who get involved with this, the more information researches will have on climate change and global warming. Please install the software and spread the word. The more people who take part in this the better.

BBC Climate Change
Lennon
More important in learning about climate change is in reducing CO2 emssions to reduce global warming.
Jack_Hammer
Lennon wrote:
More important in learning about climate change is in reducing CO2 emssions to reduce global warming.

I don't think you really understand fully. Global climate change... there is a difference.
Blaster
Jack_Hammer wrote:
Lennon wrote:

I don't think you really understand fully. Global climate change... there is a difference.

Not by much.. but you are right. both are problems. I am getting the software right now.
mathiaus
Being one who already contributes to sati@home and folding@home, when introduced to this by a friend I checked it out and decided to help out.

So far I've contributed 16h 5m of my cpu usage but as I have a dual core thats nothing really.

They predict each one should take a couple of months to do but you can view the model of the arth and the clouds, temperature, sulpur emissions and all sorts. Its actually rather cool and availableas your screensaver Smile
CompactHaven
It's important to note that global warming is a theory, and there are statistics to support both sides of the debate.
My other problem with this idea is security. Until I see that the system is secure, I will not take part in BBC's experiment.
SoftStag
CompactHaven wrote:
It's important to note that global warming is a theory, and there are statistics to support both sides of the debate.
My other problem with this idea is security. Until I see that the system is secure, I will not take part in BBC's experiment.

This uses BOINC, this software has a good reputation and is used by numerous research projects including SETI@home. With over half a million people using BOINC worldwide you can be assured that the software is safe to use. Check out their website:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
thiamshui
this looks like a 'distributed computing' project.. leveraging on all small computers in the world to form one mega-super computer.. i hav downloaded and hope it helps..
Raffles
Lennon wrote:

Question There is no proof climate change is effected by CO2. Don't believe everything you read in the papers. Here's the scientific proof for you:

"the CO2 decrease lags the temperature decrease by several thousand years"
http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO2ScienceB2C/articles/V2/N12/C1.jsp

"the time lag of the rise in CO2 concentrations with respect to temperature change is on the order of 400 to 1000 years during all three glacial-interglacial transitions."
http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO2ScienceB2C/articles/V2/N8/C3.jsp

ABD (www.abd.org.uk) wrote:

The most recent study available covering this theme is that of Caillon et al. (2003), who focused on an isotope of argon (40Ar) that can be taken as a climate proxy, thus providing constraints about the relative timing of CO2 shifts and climate change. Air bubbles in the Vostok ice core over the period that comprises what is called Glacial Termination III - which occurred 240,000 years BP - were studied. The result of their painstaking analysis was that "the CO2 increase lagged behind Antarctic deglacial warming by 800 ± 200 years." This finding, in the words of Caillon et al., confirms that CO2 is not the forcing that drives the climatic system. Anthropogenic climate change (man-made global warming theory), based on the claimed impact of CO2 emissions from transport and industry, is stone cold dead.

Sorry, struck a nerve there!

R
Lennon
Just don't forget to put quotes in quote tags.

Yeah, that's a fair point, just there are other environmental issues like global warming, shortage of fossil fuels, ozone layer etc. Which I think are more immediate problems.