FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need ideas for my site

WebSiteGuru
OK! I am currently getting my site back together. And thanks to FriHost, I have a good home for it. But currently I am a this wall that I keep hitting trying to figured out what to put out there. My origianal plan is for this site to be for Information Technology Resources Community site, where everyone come and learn/teach each other about computer, network, etc.. It was supoosed to have Knowledge base (build by users). But I am currently at a point where I dont know what to put out there at the site anymore. Since a lot of sites out there are having the same information.

So, I am stuck! Question
pixor
you could write some articles and put tutorials on your site since it is an information knowledge base. you definitely need a wiki type of application where users can submit articles etc.
robi
Greetings Smile

It really depends what you want your site to be about.
I'd suggest a forum where people will be able to communicate, a small gallery to exchange pictuers or comics Smile

It's your site, make it fun, tell jokes daily, put up a free help form, if anybody had any question on the whole white world you could help him/her answer it Wink like Dr. Phil or Oprah Very Happy
WebSiteGuru
I think I have a copy of the wiki some where or I can download it.

I also have community forums, but I dont have anything other than the General forums. And I just check it, dam I am getting bot SPAM! I thought I had lock it down to registered users only. It is locked down now. Very Happy

What type of forums would you suggests then?
WebSiteGuru
OK! I had started adding stuffs to the forums. I had created Computer Help Category with Software and Hardware Issues help area, I will be adding more.

I also added the Web Links areas and Gallery as suggested. Very Happy

I'll be adding Wiki later when I get a copy of it. And make that the Knowledge Base system.
thiamshui
How bout creating a site about yourself n your daily life? IT resource sites are all over the place on the Internet.. a lot of more established sites.. it will b good if u can come out w new unique ideas that hav not been seen before..
WebSiteGuru
thiamshui wrote:
How bout creating a site about yourself n your daily life? IT resource sites are all over the place on the Internet.. a lot of more established sites.. it will b good if u can come out w new unique ideas that hav not been seen before..

That (itself) is another project that I am looking into. But This site already had the domain name www.it-res.net for the next 2 years, it doesnt go with that subject. Thank you thou for the inputs.
izimngcubes15
Maybe a coding / webmasters website? Like you have scripts tutorials and such, I'd like that lol.
Vrythramax
You could always make it an HTML workshop kind of thing where you either provide assistance to newbies va your forum(s), or the links to resources for them to find information on thier own. The forum would probably be best for that kind of thing as users may tend to help each other rather than you having to bail them out all the time. Another idea could be to post some of your design work as public domain in template form for people to use as a starting point for thier own websites, and simple provide support for the templates...you may even be able to make some $$$ that way.

I think the initial start of a website is always the hardest....as for myself I don't post anything or start writing the html until I have a reasonable outline on paper of what the site is going to entail (layout, structure, content, etc.). I find it much easier to get started on the source code after that initial hurdle....then the real fun begins Smile
Wrighty43
WebSiteGuru wrote:

I also have community forums, but I dont have anything other than the General forums. And I just check it, dam I am getting bot SPAM! I thought I had lock it down to registered users only. It is locked down now. Very Happy

mate i suggest you use invision powerboard for the forums... by far the best in my opinion..... if you want that i ahve a copy lyng around, gimmme a pm and i will hook u up
WebSiteGuru
Wrighty43 wrote:
WebSiteGuru wrote:

mate i suggest you use invision powerboard for the forums... by far the best in my opinion..... if you want that i ahve a copy lyng around, gimmme a pm and i will hook u up

Thanks for the offer, but I thought for sure that IPB is not authorized on FriHost server. (License Issue, if I remember). Anyway, I am sticking with DragonflyCMS (AKA: CPG NUKE), I also do Theming for this CMS.

Anyway, Thanks for a lot of nice inputs. I'll probably go with the Webmaster / HTML workshop Forums type as suggested by izimngcubes15 and Vrythramax. And it is in ,my Realms of Knowledge. I know there are many sites out there that give advice and stuffs but most of the time they are so basic.

I'll be setting the forums as follow:

Category Structure:
Begining Webmaster
Intermediate Webmaster
Advance Webmaster

And under the category will be for different level help. Idea
Josso
I stopped trying to theme my site back in 2003. I just had all my interests onto one site instead of one specific thing.
FunkyGirl
here is some ideas:
u can write guides
put some information about band/singer that u love
u can put some online games
jokes
funny pictures
free softwares for download
WebSiteGuru
Guide = Can do.
band/singer = probably not (just because the site had nothing to do with the subject.
online games = Definately can do. I just have to fine one that is good, and web base.
jokes = sure thing.
funny pictures = Can be added to the site Photo Gallery is already up Wink
free software = probably will not happends. But I can setup the downloads area, if users are will help adding them.