FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

winamp and windows media

asksalotofquestions
Sad Hi all....I am new here but have been looking for someone who might know what can help me. I had WINME which had WINDOWS MEDIA I have switched to 2000 and it has WINAMP. Most of my emails etc come thru MEDIA.
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I don't have a stereo and decided to use computer for radio source to keep kittys company. Luckily a radio station right here in Halifax went on the Net and is locally on air. I got it fine to begin with....then something went funny and when I clicked on the ad a window came up saying"open, save, close" --learned it was something to do with asx. files???
I actually emailed the station and they said to go through Windows Media...I did and it worked. Then again---nothing!!! Any idea what happened? Could I get this station listed in windows media player so I can get it again. I have used accuradio---that is listed there and I can get it to play.
Also just noticed my icon on bar with time clock has changed....think perhaps it refers to a "plug" head or somehing. I don't download music or anything I have WINDOWS 2000, IE 6 AND OE 6 hardrive is AOPEN and haven't really been doing this computer thing very long so any help would be appreciated.(ps) I mean the icon for windows media) it does say its windows media when cursor on it???????
MonkeyWrench
your question is too stupid to be answered, get a real radio rather than use ur pc. winamp sucks, oh and so does media player. Cool
asksalotofquestions
MonkeyWrench wrote:
your question is too stupid to be answered, get a real radio rather than use ur pc. winamp sucks, oh and so does media player. Cool

Well thanks for that bit of info. I live alone, on a strict budget and thought since the computer on anyhow---use it.

Haven't been at this cyber thing long, so I go to forums to ask questions.....mostly I get friendly answers. MOSTLY I said....if I could afford a stereo I wouldn't ask "dumb" questions.

PS you didn't have to answer...but you did anyway????
Animal
MonkeyWrench wrote:

This is unfriendly, unhelpful and totally unnecessary.

asksalotofquestions wrote:
I got it fine to begin with....then something went funny and when I clicked on the ad a window came up saying"open, save, close" --learned it was something to do with asx. files???...

If I understand you correctly, when you click on the "listen" button, it no-longer opens automatically in Windows Media Player?

I think this is because Winamp has taken over as the default player of .asx files, so Windows Media Player no-longer recognises it and starts to play it automatically. What I would suggest that you do is open Winamp, hit OPTIONS and go to FILE TYPES. Deselect ASX from the default types then close Winamp. When you next try to open an asx file, you may be asked what program to use - select Windows Media Player and use the checkbox to "Always use this program" - if you're not asked, it should automatically open in WMP.

I hope this is helpful, but if you need more help, please don't hesitate to post again. I can only apologise for the above post by MonkeyWrench - this is not the normal conduct of a Frihoster. Action has already been taken over this user's post.

Regards,

Animal
Frihost Moderator
joetheprogrammer
Try iTunes. It's what I use and I've never had problems listening to the radio. Unless of course, it doesn't support the right streams.
ezekiel_rage
MonkeyWrench wrote:

is this post really neccessary?

if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all.

To anser the question, it is most likely that Winamp is the defaultplayer for all your media files.

Another way to remedy this to open WinAmp, open its properties or you could just press CRTL+P.

Under General Preferences select "file types" on the right panel of the properties dialog box there will be a list of extensions. Look for the ASF (i use winamp 5.2, its the 3rd from the bottom) and check if its highlighted, if it is click on it to unselect/unhighlight (is there such a word?) it

Hope this helps
MonkeyWrench
i use itunes, its the best software you can use, everything else either doesnt work properly, or it gives u spyware.