FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ipod won't mount

bjwok
hi guys,

i have an issue that maybe someone here has also experienced:

my ipod won't mount.

no matter what combination i try, ie reset, restart, start with firewire and ipod attached, re-install itunes, latest ipod updater, latest itunes, i still cannot get my ipod to go any further than make some odd hard drive whirring noises (and clicking) and then nada!

the thing still charges no sweat while it is attached, just no updating from itunes occurs.

another thing that i noticed before this umness started was that it would start to play a track for one second or so, then jump to the next track for another second then the next etc etc. this happened until the battery went dead and when i re-hooked it to the dock, that is when all this crap started to happen!!

any suggestions (aside from lobbing it into the river)?
photon
seems to be a serious. the only solution other than throwing it into the river will be to take it to the apple center. if there is any h/w problem and if you are under warranty, then you will get it fixed or replaced.
TheGeek
im assuming since you say mount that you are using linux. Well from what iv heard, linux and ipod dont make good friends easily if at all, if your gunna use ipod, you may need to put win2k on or something just for the purpose of loading music onto the ipod...

hope that helps
Animal
TheGeek wrote:
im assuming since you say mount that you are using linux.
hope that helps

You don't have to be using Linux to mount a drive!

This sounds depressingly familliar. If you check out the Apple Support Forums, there are a lot of people posting about this kind of fault and I'm fairly sure that it's a hard disk failure. You can buy a new disk and replace it yourself (cheapest option) or you could send it away to be replaced by either Apple or another company (will be quite expensive). If your iPod is still under warranty, send it back to Apple. If not, it may not really be worth repairing when you compare the cost of a replacement hard disk to a new iPod.

You could wait for a few hours... Rumor has it that Steve Jobs (apple CEO) is going to launch a brand new iPod today (28th Feb 2006). It might just win you over Wink

Other than that, sorry I couldn't help more than to just say "yeap, that's gonna cost you!"
bjwok
hy guys and thanks for the thoughts...

to thegeek, i am using windows xp mate, the error that is thrown up is from the ipod updater software. perhaps it was written for linux?

anyway, the weirdest thing happened this morning:

i turned my pc on (after looking how far the river is and getting my arm ready to lob the ipod in it's direction) and got a microsoft security update prompt. thinking this must be a little on the odd side i checked it out and confirmed everything was tickety boo, so downlowded the update.

after the mandatory restart, i put my ipod in it's dock and what-do-you-know? it mounted no problems, updated, charged and appears to be working fine. gone are the whirring noises, gone are the clicks: it is working fine, and i am baffled as to why this happened?

hope this may help others who have this issue, might not work for eveyone, but it appears to have worked for me!

giddy up! Smile
Marston
Reset your iPod by pressing the Action (center) button, and the Menu button. When you see the Apple icon, press Action and Play. This should put your iPod into DiskMode. From here, you just connect it to your computer, and restore it using the Apple iPod Updater (should be in your start menu > all programs > iPod).

Oops, I didnt notice that you'd already solved your problem Razz.
bjwok
hi Marston,

thanks for the tip, and yes, i have already solved my problem, but it worth noting that the reset which described above (to force the ipod into disc mode) would not work during my period of downtime. i did try it a number of times and no matter how long i held doen the center buttona and the menu i got nothing but more whirring and clicking sounds...
TheGeek
i appologize, i was confused, i have never heard the terminology of "mount" used for anything other than in linux. I stand corrected and thinking on it now, i see what you were refering to earlier.

as for your problem, i think i have to agree with what was said, its probably a faulty ipod...sadly
~ MC ~
i know your problem's been fixed, but when your songs were playing for a sec then changing to another song which did the same thing, the song files in your iPod are corrupted. Dont know how or why, but it is
bjwok
thanks mc, i thought that was the case, but why do they work fine now?

(i keep an external 160gb hdd with my backup anyway, so it ain't a problem if they are corrupted)
Clash
bjwok wrote:
thanks mc, i thought that was the case, but why do they work fine now?

(i keep an external 160gb hdd with my backup anyway, so it ain't a problem if they are corrupted)
The clicking and whirring noises would indicate a dodgy hard drive. The MS update and the iPod suddenly working again, I would put down to coincidence. If your iPod is still in warranty, i would consider getting the drive replaced, this is a huge problem with iPods. I know someone who has gone through four of them with this problem.

If you think about it, would you subject your PC's hard drive to the same kind of abuse you see iPods getting?
Clash
TheGeek wrote:
i appologize, i was confused, i have never heard the terminology of "mount" used for anything other than in linux.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

'Mount' goes waaaaaay back, I first heard of it with Novell Netware twenty years ago. AFAIK it refers even further back when you had huge tape drives, and obviously not much storage on the tapes, so you had to physically mount a new 'volume' on the drive to read it. Hence the arrival of 'mount' and 'volume' in computer speak.