FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

overclock

guibr
what do you thing about overclock?
Thanks
charredii
it might be worth it if you're temporarily on a tight budget and really need the processing power. Otherwise, the difference is so minimal that the results aren't worth the effort or the risk.

why do you ask??
root
Overclocking is definitely worth it if: 1. you are using an AMD 2. have a motherboard that has great overclocking ability (like a DFI LanParty) and 3. you have good cooling, preferably watercooling
TheGeek
If you dont know what your doing, i say dont attempt it before reading alot and messing with older processors first.

The way that i did it at first was i started with an old P1 that i had, and i bumped it till it blew up and then i tried another one just messing around to see what i could get it to. (i ended up getting it to around 400Mhz, before my temp gun was showing a little too hot for comfort.)

anyway, if you really need the processing power, i say its a good idea. However, for most normal tasks, you probably wont need the extra 200-500mhz with todays >=2.5Ghz processors.

Overclocking the GPU on your vid card however, is different matter. I highly recommend this as GPU clock speeds are still only in the sub 1Ghz range and you can make a big difference just raising the clock and memory speeds 50-200mhz (generally the memory can go higher than the processor on these things)

--thegeek--
dsauxier
I tried it for the first time a few months ago. Overclocked a 1.8ghz duron to 2.0ghz. I was faster, but then about 2months later the Motherboard crapped out. Was it because it was running hotter? Dunno, but I'm sticking to factory speed after that.
Xeniczone
I recommend not over clocking.

1. It is only a cupple of mhz like 200-400
2. you will vold your warrenty.
3. you will lower your cpus life.

It isn't worth it.
Code of Ruin
I wouldn't recommend overclocking. Just like said by the other posters it will void your warranty. If you really want to overclock make sure you have a type of processor that can be overclocked. Intel Pentium M works nicely as do some AMD processors (like root said). Be sure to overclock one little step at a time, if you go shoot all your ammo at once the processor or motherboard is likely to give up. Your standard factory fan will probably not be able to keep up with the pace or it will sound like a tornado in your house so ditch that as well. Again I am referring to root's post: watercooling probably is your best way to go.
decimi
dsauxier wrote:
I tried it for the first time a few months ago. Overclocked a 1.8ghz duron to 2.0ghz. I was faster, but then about 2months later the Motherboard crapped out. Was it because it was running hotter? Dunno, but I'm sticking to factory speed after that.

Did you check temperatures? What they was? If I overclock my Duron 1.8 prosessor temperature is ~39C but chipset up to ~42C.

I just don't have money to water cooling. Now I'm gonna buy AMD athlon 64 3500+@2200MHz.

About overclocking; I think it is HOT HOT HOT Dancing
djcaution
I'm scared of overclocking my system. I hear stories from lots of people about their system blowing up because they overclocked their system. There's all sorts of technology going into cooling just for this purpose though apparently it's a pretty popular thing these days. Check out any computer hardware site, all you'll see is all sorts of cooling stuff, even liquid cooling systems...
ocalhoun
Just don't do it. Wait one year and then buy a much faster computer for less than you would otherwise spend on cooling.
SoftStag
Overclocking is simply not worth it. The performance gains are negligable, you invalidate any warranty you have on components, and you stand a good chance of doing permenant damage to components.

If you can't afford to buy better components to get the performance you want, then you can't afford to risk damaging a working computer.
Boles Roor
ocalhoun wrote:
Just don't do it. Wait one year and then buy a much faster computer for less than you would otherwise spend on cooling.

Brick wall Riiight....

Quote:

If it was your motherboard it means you had bad capicitators.

On what I think about it:

It's fun, and certainly WILL show performance gains when doing it right. Sure the people that just browse and check their mail won't need it, but I like my PC to be noticably faster.

Quote:

It isn't worth it.

1. Not "only", on AMD PC's it's "alot".
2. True
3. Only if you're an idiot that decides NOT to read guides about it and use proper cooling and whatnot.

The stories of people blowing up their CPU's after overclocking are just the ones that OC it to an extreme point. As long as you have a reasonable overclock with sufficient cooling you won't kill anything. You just have to buy the right components, Motherboard, CPU, cooling, PSU, etc etc. And just read read read and read some more about it. I've read for over a month, and any article I could find. Of course it's never completely safe, but just by trying it a little will not kill your PC.
velet974
i have celeron d 2.66 and my cooling system is very good. it works now on 3.4 ghz Very Happy
deleenheir
overclocking is a must if you have decent

i own:
athlon xp 2800+ mobile (2ghz)
thermalright slk-947u http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/heatsinks/thermalright/slk-947u/IMAGE006.jpg
1gb pc3200 DDR
Asus a7n8x-x

normally it runs at 12*166 mhz

i bumped it to 12*200mhz= 2.4ghz and it goes a lot faster, believe me.
also a lot hotter but thats where the slk kicks in keeping it at a nice 40-45C idle and 50-52C stressed
deleenheir
Xeniczone wrote:

It isn't worth it.

1. pure mhz means nothing turning up your memory a few mhz has much greater results
2. true, but you gotta read before you oc like a madman.
3. you need proper cooling. Your cpu will die faster but if you oc the right way. With proper cooling the lifetime will be shortened from 15 to 10 years. but does that mather? within 5y your cpu is outdated anyway.

my visiob: no pain, no gain
Boles Roor
deleenheir wrote:
i bumped it to 12*200mhz= 2.4ghz and it goes a lot faster, believe me.
also a lot hotter but thats where the slk kicks in keeping it at a nice 40-45C idle and 50-52C stressed

Not bad Smile I got my 4400+ from 2.2Ghz stock to 2.64 with just a small bump in vCore. Running at 30c idle, 40-45 max. Cooling it is a Zalman 9500.
jaysen
well although it is true that overclocking isn't for everyone, it is a cheap way of getting more power.... HOWEVER it is NOT a science but more of an art form. If you don't know what you're doing its best to leave it alone.
you can take to identical chips, and they will not always overclock to the same speed.. it is very much dependant on the chip itself. So just because you heard about a buddy of a buddy that overclocked his similar system to "X" speed, doesn't mean yours is gonna do it too.

Also, if you're going to overclock turn it up slowly and give your cpu (or gpu) time to "burn in" at the faster speeds before going farther, or you won't likely have your own horror story to tell about your experience before too long.
your cpu will run hotter, so proper cooling is essential, and chances are if you have a prefab system (you bought it from a store) theres a good chance that your stock cooling system won't cut it.
Once you do turn your system up , and if you start noticing little glitches in the way the computer runs, or things start acting oddly, turn it down a notch or two.... it means part of your system is straining, and needs more burn in time, or is simpl;y at its limits.

http://overclockers.com/ is a good start to check out if you're still willing to give it a try... they have a decent faq and a cpu database that shows what some people have done and how they did it. (although the site doesn't seem to be updated as much as it once was..)
Donutey
It's not so much a bad thing, it's a lot like people tuning cars for maximum performance, people for the most part who know what they are doing, and know what the risks are. However, you always get people putting meter tall wings on Dodge Neons... Rolling Eyes

If you know what you are doing, you can buy a low end processor and get a much more powerful system for less. Most people fry their systems when upping the voltage and/or not locking the PCI/AGP bus both of which should be approached with care.
webmastering
there is nothing wrong with overclocking

if you are resourceful, you can get third party applications that allow the BIOS settings to be changed from within Windows. These are much more user friendly than the blue backed BIOS. Plus, with these, you can tell other information about your system and overclock things like ram and your GPU. But be careful, because you need to have some sort of good aftermarket cooling if you want to overclock. Be sure you know what you are doing. The stock fans/heatsinks usually are pretty crappy, and they wont cool worth jack. Get a heatsink by a good company like Scythe or Zalman.
Boles Roor
webmastering wrote:

if you are resourceful, you can get third party applications that allow the BIOS settings to be changed from within Windows. These are much more user friendly than the blue backed BIOS. Plus, with these, you can tell other information about your system and overclock things like ram and your GPU. But be careful, because you need to have some sort of good aftermarket cooling if you want to overclock. Be sure you know what you are doing. The stock fans/heatsinks usually are pretty crappy, and they wont cool worth jack. Get a heatsink by a good company like Scythe or Zalman.

The stock AMD coolers are of high quality. Sure, you'll get a higher OC with different HSF's but saying they're pretty crap won't do a damn fine HSF justice.
SoftStag
Boles Roor wrote:
webmastering wrote:

The stock AMD coolers are of high quality. Sure, you'll get a higher OC with different HSF's but saying they're pretty crap won't do a damn fine HSF justice.

Coolers that come with retail AMD processors are good, but if your system was built by an OEM, there is no saying how good the heat sink and fan are. Usually OEMs use the cheapest they can get away with so they are "crap" if you want to overclock.
CamiBor
Quote:

It isn't worth it.

agree with that...
Naif
I agree with what TheGeek has written. Its not worth overclocking your processor just for an additional gain of some hundred MHz. Overclocking has become a hobby these days. Most people are overclocking their processors just to get a feel of the thrill. Overclocking the GPU though is a completely different thing. I have a 2.8 GHz FSB:800 MHz P4 processor with a crappy Geforce4 MX 440. I have overclocked it to squeeze as much extra performance as I could from it and I think it has been worth it. Who cares if it dies in a year or two. Its worth is anyways a dustbin Smile
Urahara
Overclocking is always worth it if you have the proper cooling equipment to keep the hardware from blowing up. The gains are minimal? You're joking.

Most games today are limited by the CPU, because the GPUs are so fast that they just fly through the games and wait for the CPU to catch up, in this case, if you overclock your CPU, the FPS will increase, duh. I know it doesn't matter in this case since you're probably getting like 200 FPS anyways.

But if you're getting like, say 30 FPS in FEAR. You don't want to pay $200 more for a graphics card upgrade, so you pay $50 for cooling gear. Now, you overclock your CPU and GPU by 250 MHz and reach 40 FPS. Much more playable.

I personally think that 2.8 GHz P4s, and AMD64s can handle 20% overclock with just one or two extra fans. I've always had my CPU on overclock, the P4 2.4 GHz I had a year ago ran at 3.11 GHz without any extra cooling, it was stable, and certainly made the difference between 30 and 40 FPS.
Clash
Overclocking is fine once you follow the steps the other posters have outlined. Remember to check your Mobo's temperature as well, as the cooling only works on one side of the processor, and there will be gains on the mobo side. Hence the problem with mobo's burning out. In fact in my experience mobo's are always the weak link, so you should make sure you don't exceed the temperature.

It's generally accepted that the speed rating on AMD processors (I don't know about Intel, but I assume it's the same) is below the actual tested one. In other words a 3000AMD is actually a 3400 that is downgraded to avoid failure. The K4's and 5's suffered with this problem in that they weren't downgraded, and so they had very high failure rates.
alkady
If you had the money to spend, Then I say go for it. But for those who have a limited budget, Its not recommend. It not only voids the warranty, It also shortens its life span, It can cause damage to the computer.